Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Anxiety, Panic and Phobias

advertisement
Unread 07-16-2017, 10:57 PM   #1
Newly Joined
mtbarnes has no updates.

Default Traumatizing accident and nightmares.

Lately I have been experiencing nightmares and some other issues. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist coming up soon, but wanted to get an idea of what I can expect ahead of time. When I was 18, I was in a bad accident while doing farm work for a summer job. I broke my arm and leg when a tractor operator accidentally backed over me. It was very traumatizing at the time. I remember not knowing whether I would be able to walk again due to the sight of my leg hanging there along with my other injuries. This accident required a couple of surgeries and over a year of rehabilitation.

I am 35 now, but in my early thirties I started having some anxieties related to the accident. My nightmares occur around 2-4 times a week. The nightmares are usually about my bones being broken or being at the site of an accident. I still work part time around machinery and I keep getting increasing anxiety, especially if I am working around loud noises. I also get extra worried about vehicle safety and refrain from any travelings besides to and from work.

I was wondering what to expect as far as a diagnoses and possible treatments for this type of situation. Thanks for any advice.
mtbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Unread 07-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
Wise Old Troll

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

7,679 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Traumatizing accident and nightmares.

Hello mtbarnes: I see this is your first post here on PC. So... welcome to PsychCentral... from the Skeezyks! I hope you find the time you spend here to be of benefit.

I'm not sure what to tell you with regard to what to expect from your upcoming appointment. How psychiatrists operate seems to vary quite a bit. My pdoc is only interested in prescribing & monitoring psych med's. At my first appointment, he took some extra time to listen to me tell him about my concerns. I may have seen him for around a half hour that time. But, since then, I'm pretty-much in-&-out in ten minutes or so. I've had no diagnostic testing nor have I ever been offered anything in the way of a diagnosis. And since I'm no longer on psych med's, I just see my pdoc a couple of times a year... just to keep my foot in the door so to speak in case I need him in the future.

From other members' posts I've read here on PC, however, I have the impression that not all psychiatrists operate the way mine does. Perhaps other members will yet share some of their experiences. Here's a link to an article from the PsychCentral archives describing another person's first psychiatrist appointment:

https://psychcentral.com/lib/my-firs...-psychiatrist/

And then here's a link to a thread posted by another member, here on PC, with regard to the same topic, along with the replies that member received:

https://forums.psychcentral.com/psyc...t-nervous.html

Good luck with your appointment!
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2017, 06:35 AM   #3
Grand Magnate

Jennifer 1967 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
8,938 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Traumatizing accident and nightmares.

Hello. Welcome to PC. I'm glad you are getting help. I had a bad accident in Atlanta when it was raining so hard cars were pulled off the side of the road. I hydroplaned. It took many years for me to drive in the rain and even 25 years later, I get a little tense when it starts raining when I drive.
Jennifer 1967 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
"I'm scarlet inside"

Fharraige "'Cause in my head there's a Greyhound station"

My Mood:

5 yr Member
4,957 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

We're not experts and we can't tell what kind of diagnosis you'll get or what meds (if any) you'll get. If this your first appointment, though, you may have an intake where you'll discuss what you've gone through and may have some paperwork to fill out. The pdoc may or not give out medication. It really depends upon the pdoc.

BP Type 1, GAD, PTSD, BPD
Latuda, Artane, Neurontin, Vistaril and some other stuff

My poetry and prose
My Flickr Photostream
Fharraige is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #5

Teddy Bear has no updates.

My Mood:

183 hugs
given

Welcome to PC