Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Anxiety, Panic and Phobias

advertisement
Unread 04-20-2017, 10:03 PM   #1
jazrobinson has no updates.

My Mood:

1 hugs
given
Default How to shut off the critical thoughts?

My anxiety is flaring up so much this month, I don't know why. I always have these flare ups every second month, just when I think I'm doing better I get reminded that I'm not. I'm socially anxious at every turn. Every time I say something, I regret what I said. I've gone quiet now in rooms, because I'm afraid I'll say something stupid. I feel like everyone is privately criticizing me around me even though logically, they may not be. Especially among my classmates in my tight-knit theatre program. Lately I've been really mad and judgmental in my head at my perpetual sadness and complaining... I keep having thoughts that many people would be privileged to be in my position in life in comparison to where other people are in the world...and then I feel so guilty for not being grateful. Just today while analyzing a piece of play text, someone in my class said "people complain in order to obtain status" the day after I cried in front of another classmate saying I felt lost in life. I can't help but feel like I fit that description, even though it may not have been intended to be jab at me...it felt like it. I don't know how to stop these thoughts.
jazrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 04-21-2017, 03:59 AM   #2
Elder

Jennifer 1967 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
13.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: How to shut off the critical thoughts?

I'm sorry you are having such a tough time. You're not alone. I have social anxiety and tend to avoid social events. You are trying and that shows courage. I have an anxiety textbook that I need to find but it has a list of statements you can tell yourself before, during and after events that give you anxiety. It has been helpful to me in the past. Hugs coming your way.
Jennifer 1967 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
"I'm scarlet inside"

Fharraige "'Cause in my head there's a Greyhound station"

My Mood:

5 yr Member
5,644 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: How to shut off the critical thoughts?

It's hard to manage this. Do you see a counselor at school? That may help.

BP Type 1, GAD, PTSD, BPD
Latuda, Artane, Neurontin, Vistaril and some other stuff

My poetry and prose
My Flickr Photostream
Fharraige is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2017, 06:37 PM   #4
Reclusive Old Troll

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

7,773 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: How to shut off the critical thoughts?

Hello jaz: Well... there is a school of thought that says trying to stop or "stuff down" or simply forget intrusive thoughts just makes them keep coming back stronger & more frequently. This is a Buddhist perspective. An alternative is to allow them to arise & fade at their own pace & to accept them with compassion. This is a practice called compassionate abiding. Here's a link to a mental-health-oriented description of the practice:

https://mindsetdoc.wordpress.com/201...e-abiding-101/

May it be of benefit.
"Oh, do not say / My spirit is not worn-- / As curtains furl / In the west wind, / I am more withered / Than the chrysanthemums' / Yellow flowers. (From a poem by the poetess Li Ching-Jau, China, Southern Sung period, c. 1125 A.D.)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote