Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Anxiety, Panic and Phobias

advertisement
Unread 04-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #1

Mindinpieces has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
264 hugs
given
Unhappy Will I ever be free from anxiety

I have suffered from anxiety since high school I'm in my twenties now and still it gets to me and affects my life. I just fear I will never overcome this? Not feel great right now any advice would help.
Mindinpieces is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 04-20-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
Elder

justafriend306 a mother, girlfriend, friend

405 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Will I ever be free from anxiety

No, I don't believe one can ever be free from anxiety. BUT, one can learn great ways to soothe and cope with it. I still have a great deal of anxiety, I can't always control it but I have the skills (CBT) to challenge it head on. I won't obviously be a 100% successful all the time but things are certainly considerably more bearable and life is more positive as a result.

Please visit my art!

http://artsycraftsy.simdif.com
justafriend306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
Poohbah

Jennifer 1967 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
1,366 hugs
given

No , I agree you'll never be totally free of it but you can learn to manage it. Do you take medication for your condition? I have 2-3 apps on my phone that help me. One is Calm and another is MindShift.
Jennifer 1967 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2017, 09:14 PM   #4
Ninjacop has no updates.

My Mood:

That's something you can't just let go. As they said there many ways to handle your anxiety and best things is to always consult with your psychiatrist, and always remember to keep talking with your friends or family just reach out to help you forget things that will trigger your anxiety problem.
Ninjacop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2017, 04:10 AM   #5

Mindinpieces has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
264 hugs
given

Hi
I take citalopram and olanzapine for depression and anxiety. Most of the time I'm ok but certain things going on triggered me off and the extreme sensation of anxiety wash over me it's horrible and I feel hopeless like I will always mess things up because of how my anxiety affects me.

Thank you both for replies x
Mindinpieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2017, 06:12 AM   #6
Poohbah

Jennifer 1967 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
1,366 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindinpieces View Post
Hi
I take citalopram and olanzapine for depression and anxiety. Most of the time I'm ok but certain things going on triggered me off and the extreme sensation of anxiety wash over me it's horrible and I feel hopeless like I will always mess things up because of how my anxiety affects me.

Thank you both for replies x
I'm sorry you're having a tough time. You're not alone. For the past few years, holidays have triggered huge panic attacks and anxiety. It's frustrating and embarrassing and I feel bad for my daughter. I agree it is horrible.

Jennifer 1967 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2017, 06:20 AM   #7

Leyla has no updates.

My Mood:

2 hugs
given

hi there
i agree with the others i don't think you can cure Anxiety you can only learn the tools an skills to cope with it. i was always anxious as child and worried so much, i am now in my mid 40's i have been on meds pretty much the last 20 yearss... i have spurts where i will go for awhile being well but than something sets it off be it stress at work, stress of parenting.

maybe a few counselling sessions would help to if you haven't seen a therapist, at the end of the day we are the ones who can help ourselves....

your not alone....
Leyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2017, 06:21 AM   #8

Leyla has no updates.

My Mood:

2 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 1967 View Post
No , I agree you'll never be totally free of it but you can learn to manage it. Do you take medication for your condition? I have 2-3 apps on my phone that help me. One is Calm and another is MindShift.

hi jen
are these apps free on your phone? or do you have to pay??
Leyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2017, 11:18 PM   #9
AnnaBettina has no updates.

My Mood:

Completely free, no. Better, yes, esp with the different drugs and therapies available.

Imo, whatever it's worth, you, people with anxiety and/or depression, are one of the normal ones. Perfectly normal to be anxious and/or depressed when one fully grasps, fully grasps (and not just thinks he has), life on this planet.

So, yes, grab hold of whatever medication, therapy, religion, etc. which help you to "handle" (deny? possibly) the reality of life on this planet..."whatever" means without debasing you or another, of course. After all, it's about whatever gets you through the night, so to speak, and works to make you feel happy in the relatively short time we each have here (our lives aren't even a half blink when you consider how old the earth is, billions and billions of years old).

May You have a fulfilling (to you) and relatively anxiety free half blink,

Hannah
AnnaBettina is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-21-2017, 11:34 PM   #10
AnnaBettina has no updates.

My Mood:

Want to add that one doesn't even need to fully grasp how life on this planet is. No, no. Imo, for whatever it's worth (and maybe not much), anxiety/panic attacks and/or depression happen because on some level even far below the consciousness there is a "grasping" that life is more than anxiety-provoking.
So, take the meds or whatever makes it all bearable. Hopefully, whatever makes you happy...and even whistle .
AnnaBettina is offline   Reply With Quote