Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #1
xmascarol
Member
 
xmascarol's Avatar
xmascarol has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 440
8 hugs
given
Default What do you like to do when you are anxious ,depressed ,etc?

For me whenever I am feeling anxious,depressed or just blah I really love to knit,chrochet,or do some drawings.I use a lot of puns it helps me to relax some.Maybe if you had a hobby you could concentrate on that when you are feeling anxious or depressed.I am not saying it will make the symptoms disappear but it may help you for a little while.I also do paid surveys it is nice getting a a little check in the mail.However I do find if the anxieties are really bad nothing seems to help especially if it develops into a full blown panic attack.Nothing seems to work for those.
xmascarol is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 01-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #2
Blue_Bird
Legendary
 
Blue_Bird's Avatar
Blue_Bird is ready for change!
 
Member Since: Jun 2013
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 15,496 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: What do you like to do when you are anxious ,depressed ,etc?

5 yr Member
4,511 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: What do you like to do when you are anxious ,depressed ,etc?

I like to put on my scented wax melter. Any good scents help to relax me and help me feel grounded. I also like to draw, color, read, journal, and play videogames. Having a cup of tea, decaf coffee, or cocoa and reading is so relaxing! It's hard to get started on any of these things when I'm anxious or depressed but once I push myself to just get started for couple minutes I end up getting into it and enjoying myself.
__________________


R.I.P mom 8/6/55-1/15/16
Blue_Bird is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-17-2019, 11:04 AM   #3
xmascarol
Member
 
xmascarol's Avatar
xmascarol has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 440
8 hugs
given
Default Re: What do you like to do when you are anxious ,depressed ,etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Bird View Post
I like to put on my scented wax melter. Any good scents help to relax me and help me feel grounded. I also like to draw, color, read, journal, and play videogames. Having a cup of tea, decaf coffee, or cocoa and reading is so relaxing! It's hard to get started on any of these things when I'm anxious or depressed but once I push myself to just get started for couple minutes I end up getting into it and enjoying myself.
NOw see for me I cannot stand anything scented because it bothers my allergies.My next door neighor use to burn insense it would come through the vents it was so strong my throat would burn ,but now they have stopped this burning of candles to ,good the smell is awful.
I love to sing too ,I have been told that I have a nice singing voice
xmascarol is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
MickeyCheeky
Wise Elder
 
MickeyCheeky's Avatar
MickeyCheeky My echo is the only voice coming back
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: Italy
Posts: 8,684 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: What do you like to do when you are anxious ,depressed ,etc?

2 yr Member
24.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: What do you like to do when you are anxious ,depressed ,etc?

Thank you for making this thread, xmascarol! Unfortunately when I'm feeling bad I just can't think of anything else. Distractions don't seem to work for me. I'm glad other people are able to get through this, though. You're all very strong people! Sending many hugs to everyone
MickeyCheeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #5
xmascarol
Member
 
xmascarol's Avatar
xmascarol has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 440
8 hugs
given
Default Re: What do you like to do when you are anxious ,depressed ,etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyCheeky View Post
Thank you for making this thread, xmascarol! Unfortunately when I'm feeling bad I just can't think of anything else. Distractions don't seem to work for me. I'm glad other people are able to get through this, though. You're all very strong people! Sending many hugs to everyone
Well if you ever need someone to talk to I will be here for you
xmascarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:11 PM   #6
Mountaindewed
Elder
 
Mountaindewed's Avatar
Mountaindewed I like eggs.
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: Where the red fern grows.
Posts: 5,250 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: What do you like to do when you are anxious ,depressed ,etc?

2 yr Member
47 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: What do you like to do when you are anxious ,depressed ,etc?

I like going out to eat. I know using food to cope isnít necessarily a good coping skill, but I think I have it under control, since I donít do it all the time and I usually watch what I eat when I donít go out to eat.
__________________
You ride em up, and up, and up, then you gently float down.

Would the parents of a soggy boy with cotton candy in his nose please come to the medical tent!

Rupaul: You can call me he, you can call me she. You can call me Regis and Kathy Lee. I donít care, as long as you call me.
Mountaindewed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #7
Mopey
Veteran Member
 
Mopey's Avatar
Mopey has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Location: California
Posts: 562 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: What do you like to do when you are anxious ,depressed ,etc?

326 hugs
given
Default Re: What do you like to do when you are anxious ,depressed ,etc?

Once when I was at Fry's with my husband I was very upset and depressed. I just couldn't get myself feeling any better. They have a magazine section so I picked up one to take home, called Victoria. When we got home I just sat on the couch telling myself, "Just look at the pictures. Just look at the pictures." I didn't try to read any of the text because I would have been unable to concentrate, but there were some beautiful illustrations of flowers and old English buildings, and in a way that distracted me and helped to calm down a little bit.
Mopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #8
pandabear0927
Junior Member
 
pandabear0927's Avatar
pandabear0927 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: Bethlehem township
Posts: 21
Default Re: What do you like to do when you are anxious ,depressed ,etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmascarol View Post
For me whenever I am feeling anxious,depressed or just blah I really love to knit,chrochet,or do some drawings.I use a lot of puns it helps me to relax some.Maybe if you had a hobby you could concentrate on that when you are feeling anxious or depressed.I am not saying it will make the symptoms disappear but it may help you for a little while.I also do paid surveys it is nice getting a a little check in the mail.However I do find if the anxieties are really bad nothing seems to help especially if it develops into a full blown panic attack.Nothing seems to work for those.


I drown it all out with music or tv.. or cuddle my cat
pandabear0927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #9
downandlonely
Poohbah
Chat Moderator
downandlonely has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 1,881 (SuperPoster!)
Default Re: What do you like to do when you are anxious ,depressed ,etc?

I find coloring helps with anxiety. When I am too anxious, I can't focus enough to read but I can color.

It also really helps me to be around other people. It's worst when I am all alone.
downandlonely is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-18-2019, 03:54 AM   #10
xmascarol
Member
 
xmascarol's Avatar
xmascarol has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 440
8 hugs
given
Default Re: What do you like to do when you are anxious ,depressed ,etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear0927 View Post
I drown it all out with music or tv.. or cuddle my cat
Sometimes I will watch the Music Choice channels,they have like the 90's,80's,70's and the real oldies dont care for the music they have out today however I do like Madonna,Stevie Nicks and of course the Carpenters they are from the past but very good.
xmascarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.




advertisement

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.

 

HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity GuidelinesHelp


 
Helplines and Lifelines