Legendary

Jennifer 1967 has no updates.

My Mood: Need advice for managing panic attacks

3 yr Member
37.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Need advice for managing panic attacks

My therapist passed on to me that deep breathing where you inhale through your nose for x counts then hold for x counts then exhale for x counts through your mouth and then hold for x counts can really help. It does me.

I also have collected some anxiety affirmations that help me through my panic attacks.

Finally, cuddling my pets and holding a family memberís hand calms me.

Panic attacks are the worst. Good luck getting yours under control. Best wishes.
Hugs from:
Old 08-10-2018, 06:43 AM   #13
stephnickie

stephnickie Feeling scared but hopeful.

21 hugs
given

Can I ask what happens for you during an attack? I've found that different things help (me) for different symptoms. If you don't mind sharing what thoughts/feelings you're having during a panic attack, I may be able to offer something helpful (making sure I read the other responses to avoid advising something that's already been posted by someone else). Aside from that, always remember: you are not alone. Many others of us understand how you feel, have experienced the same or similar things and our hearts are with you! xo
Hugs from:
Old 08-12-2018, 12:11 AM   #14
cptsdwhoa

cptsdwhoa Lost for words

44 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephnickie View Post
Can I ask what happens for you during an attack? I've found that different things help (me) for different symptoms. If you don't mind sharing what thoughts/feelings you're having during a panic attack, I may be able to offer something helpful (making sure I read the other responses to avoid advising something that's already been posted by someone else). Aside from that, always remember: you are not alone. Many others of us understand how you feel, have experienced the same or similar things and our hearts are with you! xo
Thank you so much! It's always helpful to be reminded that I'm not alone.
My heart is with you all as well!

Lately, I my body (especially at my shoulders) gets very tense. I feel like I need to call the police sometimes to take me to the psych ward. I cry or get teary-eyed. I also start to hyperventilate. Remembering to take slow deep breaths is a challenge but also very helpful when I do.
cptsdwhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 08-13-2018, 11:07 PM   #15
stephnickie

stephnickie Feeling scared but hopeful.

21 hugs
given
Heart Re: Need advice for managing panic attacks

That certainly sounds stressful, and the feeling of needing to suddenly go to the psych ward is very familiar to me as well. A while back a therapist suggested that when Iím having a panic attack, or even just a burst of intense anxiety or obsessive thinking, to bring myself into the present by looking around the room Iím in and naming everything I see. Doesnít have to be out loud, so this is a good method to curb panic/anxiety attacks happening in public. After naming the objects in the room, I am to go back over them and say to myself ďThis [object] is realĒ. It is a really good distraction and meant to be grounding, especially when I start to think Iím going insane or detaching from reality.

I agree itís hard to remember to slow down the breathing when the chest tightens, itís a scary feeling! I found that going to acupuncture at least once a week makes my chest tightness episodes completely stop. I go to a community clinic that has a sliding fee scale. The cost is between $15 and $40. Acupuncture has made a big difference in my anxiety.

Sometimes when I leave the house, I freak out and think Iím going to have a panic attack while Iím out. I can take a benzo but first I try to calm myself simply by telling myself that Iím NOT going to have a panic attack. In a way itís taking control. Saying to my anxiety, ďSorry, you donít get to take control over me.Ē

I hope that helps and Iím glad you posted about your panic attacks, I feel like I am a total freak sometimes. Itís comforting to know other people know exactly how it feels to have anxiety. Although, I wish people didnít have to suffer in such a way!

Xo
Hugs from:
Old 08-15-2018, 05:21 AM   #16
seeker33

seeker33 has no updates.

547 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging vortex View Post
something else I swear by, is the following:

" if you think it's going to happen, let it happen."

I don't know about anyone else- but I find myself more anxious trying to stop something that I know is eventually going to happen

example: I have chronic pain, and I'm walking along somewhere- and it feels like my body is going to lock on me.

I'd rather let it lock then I would sit down, then If I sit, I'm worrying about... well, later I'm going to pay for it because I didn't let it happen- and later it's going to be worse

or another example: someone wants to shout at me for something I've done

they are going to shout at me no matter if it's now, or if it's later- so it may as well be now.

but that helps me. may not be everyone's choice
Exactly this is what's helpful, too. Don't resist, just describe in my body how the anxiety feels. Today I was getting anxious about the future. Instead of ruminating I asked myself how does it feel? I noticed it in my stomach so I focused my attention there. Yes, I feel tension in my stomach and observed. In about a minute it was gone. I continued cooking mindfully, focusing on textures, smell, sound of chopping... The anxiety has gone away completely.

I love nature, simplicity and minimalism
seeker33 is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 08-17-2018, 11:34 PM   #17
ken9018
ken9018 has no updates.

334 hugs
given

breathing helps me and also medication,
ken9018 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old Today, 02:30 AM   #18
Wild Coyote
Wise Elder
Community Liaison

Wild Coyote has no updates.

2 yr Member
44k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Heart Re: Need advice for managing panic attacks

I am sorry you go through this. I used to have severe panic attacks. I had tried so many approaches, many of which are listed above. I had also needed medication to keep my anxiety level much lower.

I have not had a panic attack in years now. Medication stops them before they start.

Not everyone needs medication. Many different strategies can help and there are great examples/suggestions in this thread.

My pdoc has always stressed the importance of intervening in panic attacks, as they can become self-perpetuating.

If you hyperventilate, try breathing into a paper bag.

I hope you find relief!

WC

Kutless - What Faith Can Do
https://youtu.be/u1JBSQMkQEo
Wild Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote