Why do children of alcoholics drink? - Page 2 - Forums at Psych Central

Old 12-25-2018, 09:11 AM #11
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
Pfrog Is Feeling Lost And Tempest Tossed ...

579 hugs
given
Unhappy Re: Why do children of alcoholics drink?

There are many reasons why children of alcoholics and drug addicts also end up abusing alcohol and drugs as well.

Mother's that abuse alcohol and/or drugs while pregnant will most likely have babies that are born already addicted to the substances they (the mother) are abusing ... These babies have to go through detox as soon as they are born.

Some kids are able to overcome it, but most are not as the monkey has already been put on their back long before they had the choice to choose to "Just Say No" to alcohol and drugs.

Also, some parents think it's funny to let their toddlers and children ingest alcohol and drugs and laugh at the kids when they get tipsy, drunk or stoned on the substances they (the parents) are abusing.

That to me is a very sick and evil thing to do to a child.

Oh!, and there are also parents that use their children as mules, dealers and runners when the parents manufacture, sale and distribute such substances illegally, and most often these children grow up to continue doing what it is they've been taught to do.

-Pfrog

Pfrog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:22 AM #12
Poohbah

Poohbah
Arbie has no updates.

289 hugs
given
Default Re: Why do children of alcoholics drink?

Well, here was my reasoning.

I had my first taste of alcohol somewhere around 8 years old. I was feeling a little sick to my stomach, and my step-father (an alcoholic himself, and the first of a string of several alcoholic/addict step-fathers) told me a can of beer would help. Gave me one, and said I should drink all of it. I hated it. And it didn't especially settle my stomach, either.

But I felt *so* grown up, sitting there drinking a beer with my step-father.

In our family, children had basically no value. Adults were the only ones who mattered. Life centered around what pleased them, while kids existed to basically sit there and shut up, do as they were told, and speak only when they were spoken to.

I didn't like being a non-person. I wanted to be an adult. And as far as I could tell, drinking, smoking, and cussing were what adults did. If you didn't do those things, then you were still a little kid. And who wanted to be one of those, if it meant you didn't matter?

Please be warned that parts of it can be triggering if you are sensitive to descriptions of abuse. I'm not using anybody's real names, including my own.
Arbie is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 12-26-2018, 01:37 PM #13

AceRimmer has no updates.

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill3 View Post
It can be difficult to resist the example set by parents. One grows up with that example, one sees it every day. That example can seem as natural and irresistible as the air one breathes.
My mother set herself on fire twice. She almost drowned in the bathtub once. She killed my dog. Dad lost his driver's license for a year once.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:24 PM #14
Grand Member

Grand Member
Mopey has no updates.

663 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRimmer View Post
My mother set herself on fire twice. She almost drowned in the bathtub once. She killed my dog. Dad lost his driver's license for a year once.
Oh, Ace, that is beyond 20,000 times HORRIBLE!!!
Mopey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:53 PM #15

AceRimmer has no updates.

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbie View Post
Well, here was my reasoning.

I had my first taste of alcohol somewhere around 8 years old. I was feeling a little sick to my stomach, and my step-father (an alcoholic himself, and the first of a string of several alcoholic/addict step-fathers) told me a can of beer would help. Gave me one, and said I should drink all of it. I hated it. And it didn't especially settle my stomach, either.

But I felt *so* grown up, sitting there drinking a beer with my step-father.

In our family, children had basically no value. Adults were the only ones who mattered. Life centered around what pleased them, while kids existed to basically sit there and shut up, do as they were told, and speak only when they were spoken to.

I didn't like being a non-person. I wanted to be an adult. And as far as I could tell, drinking, smoking, and cussing were what adults did. If you didn't do those things, then you were still a little kid. And who wanted to be one of those, if it meant you didn't matter?
Highly irresponsible of you step-father. I see where you are coming from though. Being adult is what made lots of kids smoke and drink. But I thought adults were all morons. Not just my parents either. My teachers were idiots too. Like the time I got in trouble for going on the jungle gym in the playground. They told us not to play chicken on the jungle gym, so when I got on and a freak named Wendel got on I told him to get off because I was on first. He wouldn't get off after I told him 3 times. So before he got anywhere near me I jumped off. But the dumb teach still chewed me out for playing chicken.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:53 AM #16
Grand Poohbah

Grand Poohbah
sarahsweets Humor is my end game..

102 hugs
given

I am 43 so growing up with an undiagnosed mentally ill, addict father, yet sober mother I had a 50/50 shot. I had never heard the word alcoholism until I was an adult. My parents were hippies that eloped in California and had me when they were 21. My mom has always been great and parenting made her an adult immediately. My dad, he wasnt ready. Easy accepted access to mind altering drugs from the 70's and lack of knowledge about addicts made it hard for my mother to accept things about her husband. Everyone that was a hippie mostly grew up and entered the 80's having given up party drugs, coke and stuff. People were fine with the town drunk but intolerant with the town crackhead and the war on drugs..anyway I am being long winded. My mom didnt realize until much later what an addict is, how good at being manipulative they are, plus she was emotionally abused by my dad. Unfortunately for me, I inherited the (old school label was massive depressive) bipolar II and addict genes and combine that with my personality and it was only a matter of time.
I am so fortunate I didnt get into hard drugs- I say that tongue and cheek though because stopping drinking was the most brutal thing I have ever done and I did it like an idiot on my own. I am so fortunate I didnt die trying. So... I basically was modeled coping mechanisms that were not viable or healthy even though I had a great mom, and had an abusive relationship with my dad even past their divorce. And I spent my entire 20's and early 30's learning how to grow up and be a healthy adult. BTW my dad never stopped drinking and recreationally using drugs and dropped dead of a heart attack at age 47 in his driveway so I am glad I stopped.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says: