Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > > >

advertisement

Old 01-19-2017, 12:51 AM   #1
Addy70
Addy70 has no updates.

My Mood: Seven Steps to Success

2 yr Member
Default Seven Steps to Success

I'm ADHD and last month, I began working with a coach and asked to do an exercise called 'Seven Steps to Success.' This exercise asked questions that caused me to think deeply of one habit I wanted to change.

I thought to share what I told my coach.

Step 1: Name a habit would I like to change

As I thought, I felt as though, someone shined a light above my head exposing my angelic halo hovering over my with devilish horns. The habit I need to change most was procrastination. Why do I procrastinate?

Step 2: What are your thoughts and feelings about the habit
What is it teaching you
Feel the habit. Do not resist

As an Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD) person, procrastination is a decisional choice which leads to daily behavioral procrastination. After I lost my job in 2013, I lost my health care and could not afford to pay for my doctor visits and medication, and the herbal supplements didnt help. It became difficult to focus because I became inattentive, hyperactive, and impulsive. I lost the habit of putting to use strategies of task and time management. This experience taught me that I never forgot the learned behavior in cognitive behavioral therapy.

Step 3: Analysis
Ask yourself why you behave this way
List your triggers and responses
Challenge these thoughts as true or not

I feared my ADHD would take control because I could not get health care after losing my job. I knew I would become inattentive, hyperactive, impulsive, and depressed without my medication.

Step 4: Visualize
Consider this a transformational change
List three alternatives to the habit you want to change
Is there anything you can replace this habit with

I manifested healthcare with a great deal of prayer, mindfulness, meditation, and vision. I pictured myself with healthcare and taking medication, as I carried an old medicine bottle with me. As soon as, I could get health care, I went back on medication and reclaimed my life by using education and training to reduce ADHD symptoms combined with medication. Im at a point in my life where I can use my improved ability to function, focus, work and learn without feeling overly anxious, stressful, or depressed.

Step 5: Assess the Risk
Take time to evaluate the habit and develop a new one
What is the risk in trying each new alternatives
Risk of not taking action
What could go wrong
How serious is this
How will you know

Medication increases the brain chemicals for thinking and attention; dopamine and norepinephrine. Behavioral therapy helps with daily behavior, such as: monitoring ones behavior, controlling anger, reflect before action, organizing tasks, completing homework, and working through emotional events. Cognitive behavioral therapy teaches mindfulness techniques and meditation. A person learns to become aware and accept their thoughts and feelings by improved focus, concertation, and adjust to life changes. A really good psychiatrist will teach stress management, routines, lists for different tasks and activities, reminder notes, assign certain areas for keys, bills, and paperwork, and help break down large tasks for easier management. Without these learned behavioral habits, a person will struggle socially, at school or work, and with their relationships. Changing my thoughts and behavior will not be easy. Its worth the ride to better my life.

Step 6: Be the Change
Ask yourself what small changes could you make to reap big rewards in the habit youre trying to replace

Its important to take one day at a time, in putting to use what I am relearning to stop my procrastination habit. Its important to practice changing my thoughts and behavior each day.

Step 7: Maintain the Gain
Start tracking your progress.
Here's to my first EBook.
Addy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 01-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #2
Skeezyks
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

3 yr Member
12.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Seven Steps to Success

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Addy70.
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:38 AM   #3
Deenihle

Deenihle Hello

3 yr Member
7 hugs
given
Default Re: Seven Steps to Success

Thanks Addy70! This is really helpful and I look forward to trying it out!
Deenihle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
clw51

clw51 has no updates.

Default Re: Seven Steps to Success

Thanks for sharing!!
clw51 is offline   Reply With Quote