Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 02-10-2018, 04:29 AM   #1
gmts
gmts has no updates.

6 hugs
given
Default Confession

So, here I am having to face the truth that I have an alcohol problem. It's been about 3 years now that every night I drank 3-5 beers, sometimes more to relieve stress from work and otherwise and being able to sleep. The next day I wasn't exactly refreshed, but ok.

I never ever had the urge to drink during the day. I always decline when being offered, for example a glass of wine for lunch or champagne when it is somebody's birthday. And this not, because I think I shouldn't, but because I really don't want to. Just smelling it makes me go "ugh".

But when the night comes, it's a totally different story.

Well, lately the hangovers have become really bad. It's not the classical headache/nausea for me, but vertigo and feeling very weak.

So, I slammed the fist on the table and said "this can't go on" and I thought I will stay abstinent for at least 4 weeks and then only have a beer on Saturday night, if at all.

And now I have to face in horror that after about 48 hours I get cravings. I have no problem to be abstinent the first night, but not the second.

This is really, really bad.

Does anybody know how long the withdrawal symptoms last?

Thanks a lot for "listening"
gmts is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 02-10-2018, 04:41 AM   #2
DechanDawa
Magnate

DechanDawa upleveling

My Mood: Confession

2 yr Member
831 hugs
given
Default Re: Confession

It depends. When I first had an alcohol problem I decided to quit for six months. I went into AA meetings to help me not drink. I didn't drink for ten years. I think I had bad cravings for about a week off and on...but it is hard to tell what is physical and what is mental after that. Hard core alcoholics really physically suffer and can even die in detox.

I drank socially for a few years but then decided to stop. I had no physical cravings.

It could help to take a good B-complex vitamin supplement, as it helps the nervous system.

Alkalize your system. Drink lemon water.

Stay away from sugary stuff and refined carbs. Eat good protein and vegetables.

After about a week I think the cravings will be more mental...but they can feel like they are physical.

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 02-10-2018, 04:56 AM   #3
gmts
gmts has no updates.

6 hugs
given

Hey, thank you so much for your answer!!!

About 10 years ago I didn't drink any alcohol for about a year due to health problems and I had to problems at all with that. No physical symptoms at all and only rarely mental problems that weren't really substantial.

Same thing 3 years ago. I was dieting and didn't drink anything for 4 weeks.

But now I can really feel physical symptoms the second day. I become very, very nervous and feel tightness in my whole body.

I really hope that it is not to late yet, considering the fact I can go without for 48 hours before the symptoms start. I hope that it will become better after 4-5 days.

It's really red flag here ...
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 02-10-2018, 05:23 AM   #4
DechanDawa
Magnate

DechanDawa upleveling

2 yr Member
831 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmts View Post
Hey, thank you so much for your answer!!!

About 10 years ago I didn't drink any alcohol for about a year due to health problems and I had to problems at all with that. No physical symptoms at all and only rarely mental problems that weren't really substantial.

Same thing 3 years ago. I was dieting and didn't drink anything for 4 weeks.

But now I can really feel physical symptoms the second day. I become very, very nervous and feel tightness in my whole body.

I really hope that it is not to late yet, considering the fact I can go without for 48 hours before the symptoms start. I hope that it will become better after 4-5 days.

It's really red flag here ...

If you are going 48 hours without symptoms...I might suggest it is anxiety manifesting in a physical form. Like when I quit smoking cigarettes I would wake up every morning with honest-to-goodness physical panic manifestations...rapid heart beat, sweating etc. It went on for a few months. I was sure it was nicotine withdrawal...but now I think it was mainly anxiety.

I think you are used to the release you get from alcohol and the idea of not having it is creating a lot of anxiety.

I have enormous generalized anxiety. I used to drink a couple of Guinness...and it was like someone turned off the anxiety switch. It was heaven. But that's not how I want to live anymore. I would rather be anxious than reliant on substances.

I think everyone is going to tell you something different. I would really start with the B-vitamin supplement, and the lemon water. That's what they give people who are detoxing in addiction recovery centers.

Hugs from:
Old 02-10-2018, 06:00 AM   #5
gmts
gmts has no updates.

6 hugs
given

Thanks a lot for your wise words. Yes, it has a lot to do with anxiety for sure, I just can't tell what it really is. It's difficult to put into words, it's more a feeling. Something like waking up in the morning and being all alone, being left behind with nobody around for me. An old childhood feeling. The fear of dying one day without having done what I was supposed to do, however I don't know what it actually is. My parents dying without having made peace with them. Things like that, difficult to express.

And yes, I'm totally addicted to nicotine. Have been for 30 years. A great and very quick fix that is harming only in the long term. Bad enough, but the alcohol is now seriously damaging my life. Maybe I will find out what it is when I just stop and let the anxiety take over?
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 02-10-2018, 06:50 AM   #6
DechanDawa
Magnate

DechanDawa upleveling

2 yr Member
831 hugs
given

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your wise words. Yes, it has a lot to do with anxiety for sure, I just can't tell what it really is. It's difficult to put into words, it's more a feeling. Something like waking up in the morning and being all alone, being left behind with nobody around for me. An old childhood feeling. The fear of dying one day without having done what I was supposed to do, however I don't know what it actually is. My parents dying without having made peace with them. Things like that, difficult to express.

And yes, I'm totally addicted to nicotine. Have been for 30 years. A great and very quick fix that is harming only in the long term. Bad enough, but the alcohol is now seriously damaging my life. Maybe I will find out what it is when I just stop and let the anxiety take over?

I have to be totally honest with you. My depression really took hold once I stopped everything...especially the nicotine. I didn't drink every night...but every few weeks I would have my two pints of Guinness...very ritualistically...and sit chain-smoking on my front porch under the moon...and you know, that's how I kept the demons away.

My quitting smoking (and eventually drinking) coincided with my sister's death and the ending of a very toxic relationship...giving up two good jobs... (forced) moving to a place that does not really please me. OMG it has never stopped...that is, the upheaval.

Giving up these substances just blows the lid off and one nakedly must confront all that stuff that the substances (and the rituals around using them) creates. These substances are extremely powerful because we empower them to be powerful.

Yes, I have tremendous generalized anxiety. I was a lifelong user of valium and now I can't get it prescribed. One day it was just...cut off. And it was another substance I had used for years.

It's a journey...coming off these things...confronting the demons...and surviving to tell the tale. Some people experience real bliss when they give up all these things. I seem to not be one of them. But still, these various substances are not the issue. It is...as you say...all those core life issues. That's what we need to explore. I am not a good example of someone who has become elevated. I am still struggling. Yet, I wish you all the best.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 02-10-2018, 07:09 AM   #7
gmts
gmts has no updates.

6 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by DechanDawa View Post
and sit chain-smoking on my front porch under the moon...and you know, that's how I kept the demons away.
[...]
It is...as you say...all those core life issues. That's what we need to explore.
Yes, I can relate so much. Chain smoking on my balcony on a warm summer night ... it keeps the demons away.

I started reading Mark Wolynn's book "It didn't start with you". After about a third I had to put it aside, because it was extremely emotional for me. Yet I believe this work will show me what it is really about, but I'm totatlly scared about it ...

Thank you so much for your thoughts, this is extremely helpful for me!
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 02-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #8
sans

sans has no updates.

5 yr Member
639 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Hope youíre feeling better today. That book sounds like a good one! Im going to read it. Iíve had tremendous guilt for years about my depression/anxiety and passing it onto my children. I also sat on the porch drinking and smoking cigs. That was my medicine. Until I had too many, then Iíd always slip up and let someone know how I Ďreallyí feel. Ughhh that was my crime. Couldnít just drink and relax, always had to open the mouth.
At least thatís got me sober today. Itís a lot of work. I slipped up a few times, but right back on the wagon after.
The vitamin b and lemon water sounds like a great idea. Iím going to try that also.
What about taking walks or exercise/being physical? Maybe that could help with symptoms.
Sending you healing thoughts
Sans
sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 02-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #9
tecomsin
Grand Member
tecomsin has no updates.

444 hugs
given

Quote:

I quit smoking cold turkey July 14, 2015. A few months later I got a number of health checks, not that I was having symptoms but because I wanted to be sure (my mother who never smoked had died early of cancer) and, well, a chest xray discovered lung cancer... i was operated and had chemo and now live with a deep state of fatigue. I had fatigue before but the chemo added a whole new layer to it.

It's not alcohol for me its cannabis.

Any tips on dealing with this type of global anxiety would be appreciated.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 02-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #10
gmts
gmts has no updates.

6 hugs
given

Thanks everybody, I greatly appreciated it. You are encouraging me to go into the pain and and anxiety and stand it. I will keep ypu updated.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: