Forums at Psych Central - View Single Post - What if one cannot conceptualize "soothing"?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 10:33 PM

sheltiemom2007 has no updates.

1 hugs
given
Default Re: What if one cannot conceptualize "soothing"?

One of the early symptoms of RAD is repetitive motion. The other is the inability to tolerate touch of any kind. Repeatedly rocking, rubbing surfaces, rubbing a body part like an arm can all stimulate soothing. Very young children who were denied any attachment use repetitive motion to soothe. Soothing isn't necessarily an emotional response. It's a physiological response. If you cannot emotionally appreciate soothing, try something that works physically. It's instinctive and it's neurological. I'm 58 and I rock, still, to physically soothe. I can literally sit on the floor and rock for hours in silence. I've come a long way with touch, but it always has to be on my terms with me initiating. It cannot be forced on me. Even incidental touch, uninvited, is torture. I have literally run out of theaters panicked because someone's arm brushed against mine. People know not to hug me. The first day I hugged my therapist was a huge milestone in my treatment.
sheltiemom2007 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from: