2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 to 2 tablespoons garam masala
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
3/4 cup heavy cream or coconut milk
Fresh coriander, chopped
2 cups cooked rice, to serve

Cut the chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces and transfer them to a 3-quart or larger slow cooker. Stir in the onion, garlic, ginger, tomato paste, 1 tablespoon of garam masala, paprika, and kosher salt until the chicken is evenly covered with spices. Stir in the diced tomatoes with their juices.
→ If you have the time: Marinate the chicken in 1/2 cup yogurt for up to 6 hours. Shake to remove excess yogurt before transferring to the slow cooker.
→ If you have the time: Sauté the onions and garlic in a little olive oil over medium-high heat in a skillet until softened, then stir in the ginger, tomato paste, and spices until fragrant. Transfer to the slow cooker with the chicken and diced tomatoes. This will give your tikka masala more depth of flavor.
Cover the slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Fifteen minutes before the end of cooking, stir in the heavy cream. If you prefer a thicker sauce, leave the slow cooker uncovered for the last 15 minutes. Taste and add more garam masala or salt to taste.
Serve over rice with fresh coriander sprinkled over the top of each serving.
Just eaten some of this, plus enough left for a couple more days (should improve some). It was delicious and has left a lovely buzzy spicy taste in my mouth.

However I am not one to follow recipes rigidly so tweaked it quite a bit as I went along:

Had too much chicken for my tiny slow cooker so I left what didn't fit to marinade longer (overnight) then grilled it to partly blacken it, then added it back to the finished sauce which by then had reduced enough for it all to fit. I also changed the marinade to include some curry spices and lemon juice as well as the yoghurt.

Decided the heavy cream would be too rich, I prefer a tang, so instead put in a dollop of greek yoghurt and another of creme fraiche (much better imho), plus only a little coconut as not keen on too sweet curries. Also added juice of half a lemon.

Also added a couple of those long thin red peppers to add flavour and veggies.

I felt the original recipe needed more oomph so added a teaspoon of cumin, dried coriander (as well as the fresh), some curry powder, some extra chilli, some cardamom pods (all fried with the onions), and this may sound like sacrilege but I am convinced there is very little that can't be improved by the addition of chipotle paste so added some of that too - really lifted the whole thing and added some smokiness.

Left out the salt - doesn't need it.
Carmina is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: