Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > > >

advertisement

Old 08-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #1
DocJohn
Your Host
Chat Leader

DocJohn is feeling better...

My Mood: If you want to share your story...

10 yr Member
136 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Red face If you want to share your story...

As a part of our continuing efforts to celebrate our first 20 years online, we're looking for folks who would be interested in sharing their story with a larger audience.

Specifically, we're looking for people who've been helped by something they found on Psych Central or in the community, and wouldn't mind talking about what brought them to our site and what kind of things they are struggling with frankly and openly. This wouldn't just be shared with us, but it may form the basis of a story or article for a magazine, newspaper or other website. You may use a pseudonym (not your username or real name) if you wish.

To share your story:

- You must be 18 years or older.
- Prefer people living in the U.S. or Canada, but are open to anyone.
- Psych Central must have helped you in some manner (whether it be through reading an article, getting support from another member, etc.).
- You must be willing to share some details of your background and life.
- Not every story may be used

Your story would be used to help others understand what benefits come from online resources and communities like Psych Central. In short, your story helps us tell our story.

If you're interested in helping out, please send me a PM. In your PM, tell me your story (in as many words as you'd like).

Thank you for your consideration.

Best,
DocJohn
DocJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 08-16-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
Big Mama
Magnate

Big Mama has no updates.

5 yr Member
653 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: If you want to share your story...

My Therapist suggested this site to me. She was afraid for me to be alone. Being directed to this site is the best piece of advice I have ever received. It was time for my therapist to move on to another family because I was involved in intensive in home therapy. The school year was coming to an end and I would be losing all my connections to the parents and teachers there. My therapist was afraid for my mental safety because I was dealing with a lot at the time. She hooked me up with this site and told me I would find some amazing people here. She was so correct. I have made many a great friend at this site. The people here feel more like family then my own family sometimes.

This site has likely saved my life. People here were and still are so encouraging. It is because of the people here that I came forward and told my husband of 20 years that I was raped as a teenager. It was because of people here that I told my therapist about the rape. I have found never ending support here for those issues and so many other issues.

I have PTSD and anxiety issues as well as depression. My friends from this site help hold me up when I cannot seem to hold my self up. They listen, they care, they contact me threw private message. I had a new found friend who promised to check on me daily, and for a month she contacted me ever single day to make sure I was handling things ok. If I was then that was great, if I was not then she listened.

The people I have met here have assisted me in saving myself from my worst enemy which is ME. I get stuck in PTSD states of mind and can't get myself out of that train of thought. People here offer the voice of rational, they offer options I had never thought of, or they offer just a listening ear that is non judgmental. I don't know how I ever got along without this site. I know now I will never again be alone in my issues. As long as this site is here I will have an outlet and I will have friends who care. Thank You so much Psych Central for making my life what it is today.

*Doc John- If any of this is usable for what ever purposes you have in mind please feel free to use it. I want this site to bless others in the way it has blessed me.
Big Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
lizardlady
Legendary

lizardlady has no update

10 yr Member
5,226 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Doc John, would we have to attach our real name to the story?
lizardlady is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 08-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
connect.the.stars
Poohbah

connect.the.stars A star fell over the edge of the sky

3 yr Member
792 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJohn View Post
You may use a pseudonym (not your username or real name) if you wish.
@lizardlady I think you can use whichever name you are comfortable with in your story.
connect.the.stars is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 08-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
lizardlady
Legendary

lizardlady has no update

10 yr Member
5,226 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect.the.stars View Post
@lizardlady I think you can use whichever name you are comfortable with in your story.
DUH!!! I totally missed that in Doc John's post. Thanks.
lizardlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #6
MoxieDoxie
Magnate

MoxieDoxie trust is a myth and caring is a painful lie

5 yr Member
317 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I wish I could put my story down in an eloquent manner. I started my journey in searching for answer for what I was feeling and going through. PsychCentral's chat room helped me learn social boundaries, to be assertive and not aggressive, to learn empathy and compassion and focus on other peoples pain instead of my own. PsychCentral was a tool in my tool kit when I need a distraction from self harm or when I was very suicidal. It helped me deal with the shame of being bulimic. Throught the forums members stories showed me I was not alone in my weird feelings for my therapist. One particular member, Moodlite Sky, was the reason I was able to email my therapist, spilling my guts about how painful it was to feel what I felt for him, even using Moons words in the email. It was a game changer for our relationship and catapulted my recovery. PsychCentral helped ease my extreme lonliness when my husband left for another state to work, leaving me alone, in the one of the worst New Hampshire winters, to take care of the house and start the packing process. I almost died that winter. Snowed bound in, depressed, feeling worthless, suicidal, and so alone. Two things saved me, my therapist and psychcentral. There are many more incidents that I could relay, Robins Williams suicide(That effected me so bad I wanted to die with him). I can read through my posts and see how psychCentral helped me. Now I am in a new state, back with my husband, starting my own In-Home Personal Training Business, I coach at 2 Crossfit Gyms, and the healthier I am mentally the less I seem to come on here. I do have regressions in my mental health and know I can come back here to find commeradare and comfort.
MoxieDoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-17-2015, 05:05 AM   #7
BeaFlower
Grand Magnate

BeaFlower has no updates.

5 yr Member
4,403 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

What do you mean with 'You must be willing to share some details of your background and life'? Sorry but I didn't understand well
I don't know if I want to do it, just wanted to know this.
BeaFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:36 AM   #8
DocJohn
Your Host
Chat Leader

DocJohn is feeling better...

10 yr Member
136 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Just that, if need be and asked about things like where you grew up, how big your family is -- general background stuff -- you'd be willing to share some of that. I should've been more specific. If you grew up in a real small town, you could be non-specific and say something like, "I grew up in a small town in Nebraska" and leave it at that without naming it.

This is, of course, completely voluntary and if any aspect of this makes you feel uncomfortable, you shouldn't do it...

Thanks,
DocJohn
DocJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-17-2015, 10:10 AM   #9
Anonymous50123
Anonymous50123 has no updates. Edit

Is there a way we can share anonymously?
Hugs from:
Old 08-17-2015, 10:11 AM   #10
Anonymous50123
Anonymous50123 has no updates. Edit

I mean, is there a way we can share privately?
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: