Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Work and Careers

advertisement
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
njguy81 has no updates.

1 hugs
given
Default 30 and Have NO career at all.. cant even get Entry Level!

I'm already 30 and am applying to entry-level jobs!! I should already be mid-career by now, right??

Basically, any job I started in the last 10 years I couldnt go through with. Most of them I quit on my own.. but one or two was a mutual separation.

At least 3 of them I ended up in a argument/fight with a co-worker or boss.

I'm not a natural talker or very social.. so alot of these jobs had me doing customer service or sales.. which felt very out of my comfort zone.

I have a liberal arts degree which has done Nothing for me. I would have made more $$ had I started with a temp agency at age 18 and worked my way up in a company that way.

With my degree, I should really be doing writing or something I like.. but could never find full-time work in that. So had to take other jobs to pay bills.

Feeling self-conscious at 30 and not sure what to next???
njguy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Grand Magnate
avlady avlady

My Mood:

1,597 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: 30 and Have NO career at all.. cant even get Entry Level!

I'm sure that has happened to alot of people, after college working in a place that has nothing to do with your degree. just remember you got the jobs on your own, paid your bills on your own, met new people at each job and maybe had a little fun. Is this so? You can become career minded if you set a goal i think, and turn it into a career just think of what you would like to do and try to persue it.it probably isn't that easy but some people don't start working until after their kids have grown, after being married for so long and just need a side job. Do you pay the bills?
avlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
njguy81 has no updates.

1 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlady View Post
I'm sure that has happened to alot of people, after college working in a place that has nothing to do with your degree. just remember you got the jobs on your own, paid your bills on your own, met new people at each job and maybe had a little fun. Is this so? You can become career minded if you set a goal i think, and turn it into a career just think of what you would like to do and try to persue it.it probably isn't that easy but some people don't start working until after their kids have grown, after being married for so long and just need a side job. Do you pay the bills?

problem is.. entry-level roles are going to recent graduates, temps, or interns who get converted to full-time. mid and upper level roles in an organization usually are filled from within, by promoting. Very unlikely they take a manager from the outside... unless they have VERY solid references from a very similar company.

So at 31 and with a spotty work history, I sit in interviews and have a tough time defending that history, while competing for jobs with those much younger than me.

Not sure what to do.
njguy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
Grand Poohbah

H3rmit has had enough.

My Mood:

1,317 hugs
given

I was in your situation at 30 with a useless arts degree. I did a TESOL certificate part time. I made very good money teaching ESL for some years. Of course I got out of it because I don't find all the people interaction comfortable or satisfying, but on the other hand if I were doing it nowadays, I would go for the educational technology option - being in charge of other people's online learning. I think I might not mind dealing with people as long as it's not in person. Well, it's an idea and I'm sure there are others depending in your region. ESL is big here in Canada. My point is it is far from too late.

It's hard to figure out what you'd really like to do, but when you are doing something more natural to yourself, and especially ifyou actually want to do it, doors can open despite age. I'm 50 now and starting over again. But if you are good at what you do, people want you to do it and you can even find advantages of your age/experience. Even if you don't totally believe them, as I didn't, other people oftenwill.

In other words, is there something you can specialize in, get excellent and fast at, to distinguish yourself to employers?

Another thing is analyze companies and which of their needs you could fill. Then approach them about those needs, not waiting for job postings. Maybe you've heard of What Color is your Parachute (book) which details this approach. I find it works better than competing in a horde of applicants.

I know it's tough.
H3rmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
IFG

IowaFarmGal has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
10,767 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Niguy81 was there anything in your college years that interested you in the general ed stuff you had to take? I'm almost 59 and you can work a long time at a job that has you out of your comfort zone and do a lot of damage to yourself. I have a spotty work history too, mainly because I was working in jobs that were not suitable for me and I evenually exploded because it was toxic for me to be continually pushed to do things that I couldn't. At times when I couldn't get a job I have gone back to school and lived on the work study and grants and loans. I tried to keep the loans to a minimum. Some community college resource centers might be able to help you also with figuring out what sort of job would work for you. Maybe pick some short term certificate program? I think that will give you a fresh start when you do start looking again. Maybe moving to a different place would be helpful. I know it's a very complicated situation. Good Luck to you. I hate having to explain my spotty work history. Last time I enterred a grant program and I have someone assisting me with interviews and training for a new job because I am over 55 and unemployed. If your work issues are bad enough vocations rehab might be able to help.
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
Grand Poohbah

H3rmit has had enough.

My Mood:

1,317 hugs
given

> I hate having to explain my spotty work history.

Me too, but I just say I had other priorities. That could be anything - travelling, taking care of family, working on failed novels - but it's an explanation. Sure, the world expects us to stay in jobs 12 months a year and year in year out, but what a way to live. My best job allowed us to take a lot of leave and sabbaticals. I don't have to envision my life as that of a wage slave. So, anyway, that's one approach to the issue.
H3rmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
Grand Member
Inedible has no updates.

3 yr Member

Can you join the military, once you get your energy level up? By the way, you could try DHEA for that.
Inedible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Poohbah

tigerlily84 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
3,172 hugs
given

I don't know what the answer is for you, but perhaps going back to school might be what you need to do, like the others have suggested. If you are not sure what you might want to do, perhaps taking something like the Myers-Brigg test would be something that can point you in the right direction. Just a thought. Good luck!
And yet it also pleases me and seems right
that what is of value and wisdom
of one man seems nonsense to another.”
- Gautama Buddha
tigerlily84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 03:56 AM   #9
ladytiger bless to have a job

My Mood:

2 yr Member

entry level jobs wont last much longer as i am seeing that myself. i am now 27 with an AAS Network admin degree no certs and cant get entry level in IT! it is now 2-4 yrs of experience where i remembered it a long time ago being zero experience.

no, entry level is not going to recent grads dont know where some of these people are getting that from. less than a percent may be getting it but i havent gotten it and i graduated in 2010! ppl can hardly get a temp job i had an interview at a temp last summer and that was bad. i only had one job well had a 2nd job but that didnt last long at all.

lots of things about jobs i didnt know until i was 24 when i was at job workshops learned a lot that was never taught in hs or college. i owe my school money i was working on a BS. i wanted to get job training through the workforce connections but it is not easy to get the training. u gotta go through all of these hoops and they ask u how do u support urself?

this is the money thru the stimulus and it is so hard to get the help you need.
ladytiger is online now   Reply With Quote