Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Work and Careers

advertisement
Unread 09-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
SensualGirl has no updates.

2 yr Member
1 hugs
given
Default Jobs/Careers for People with AvPD

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. Thank you to whoever created this wonderful website. I look forward to both giving and receiving support.

Here's my issue: I have many of the classic signs of Avoidant Personality Disorder. I'm not interested in fixing it as I like who I am and am comfortable avoiding people because I know they won't understand me, love me, or support me. I also do not trust doctors or most experts because they try to get you to conform and sometimes even humiliate and ridicule you into being like everyone else.

But if I don't start making money within the next six months, my family may put pressure on me to either get any old job or see a doctor and cure my beloved disorder.

So here's what I'm wondering: what types of jobs or careers are there out there for people who like working alone? My passion is writing but it's next to impossible to get paid as a writer, so I'm comfortable with that being more of a hobby.

Also, I am comfortable in sexual environments as you don't form an emotional or intellectual relationship with the person and you don't get treated badly. So I was thinking of exotic dancing. But I've lost my figure. And my family might find out.
SensualGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 09-24-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
Imperfect Idealist

Nicks_Nose is learning through life one day at a time.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
12,154 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Jobs/Careers for People with AvPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualGirl View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. Thank you to whoever created this wonderful website. I look forward to both giving and receiving support.

Here's my issue: I have many of the classic signs of Avoidant Personality Disorder. I'm not interested in fixing it as I like who I am and am comfortable avoiding people because I know they won't understand me, love me, or support me. I also do not trust doctors or most experts because they try to get you to conform and sometimes even humiliate and ridicule you into being like everyone else.

But if I don't start making money within the next six months, my family may put pressure on me to either get any old job or see a doctor and cure my beloved disorder.

So here's what I'm wondering: what types of jobs or careers are there out there for people who like working alone? My passion is writing but it's next to impossible to get paid as a writer, so I'm comfortable with that being more of a hobby.

Also, I am comfortable in sexual environments as you don't form an emotional or intellectual relationship with the person and you don't get treated badly. So I was thinking of exotic dancing. But I've lost my figure. And my family might find out.
I have diagnosed Avoidant Personality Disorder, but I work very well with the public in customer service. If you prefer to work alone or in quieter positions, you can take jobs that are unrelated to your love for writing and still write on the side. Many times, a writer can be inspired to write based on life experiences or by observing other life occurrences that others have experienced.

If you wish to work in some field that involves your writing skills...perhaps you can work freelance for University students who have trouble writing essays and may need advice or editing help when they do their essays. I always had comments scribbled all over my essays like re-write, too wordy, abstract, etc. You don't have to speak directly with the person...just email back and forth with their documents.
Nicks_Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 09-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Pandita-in-training

Perna is feeling.

8 yr Member
434 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I would study to be a technical writer. It's a trade and has many more job opportunities. You could do technical writing by day and do your own writing on your own time until you could make a living at that. That or some sort of computer work where it was just you and your computer.

http://www.careerbuilder.com/Article...Quiet-Workers/
Unread 09-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
SensualGirl has no updates.

2 yr Member
1 hugs
given

I also have a passion for exotic dance. I have been kicked around by a voice named Camille Paglia (the anti-feminist feminist) who makes a living denigrating women and praising men. She says strippers are goddesses but I think she's only talking about that in abstract and that if she met one who was less than perfect at best she wouldn't care at worst she would humiliate them. She says I suck at it and I'm not good enough to do it. I feel like I have something to prove. I feel like I have to do it to prove that I'm worthy of it. I want to be PERFECT.

I'm afraid I'm not gonna be any good at it and that it's a pipe dream and that life really does just suck.
SensualGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
veiledregret1234 I say what I mean, and I mean what I say.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
43 hugs
given

In a word truck driving. There are many weeks that pass where I don't have to say more than two sentences to another person. No connections or trust necessary. Show up and leave.
veiledregret1234 is offline   Reply With Quote