Magnate

Hellion has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
4 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Slow paced jobs?

Alright so I have been considering SSI, things have been just really difficult with all my psychological issues so functioning has been an issue. Anyways though, I feel if I could find part time work I like that is not so fast paced I might be able to function well enough for part time work..

I have a few ideas of places I want to apply at...but I was wondering if anyone here knows of any kinda lower stress, slower paced jobs that may be good for someone with high levels of anxiety who gets overwhelmed easily.

Also here are the main reasons I have been fired twice, criticized at my work study job and things I worry about.
-I am physically slow so I work too slow(gets worse if I am overwhelmed)
-I have a hard time remembering all of the verbal directions
-I get distracted and disorganized under stress, which can cause all kinds of problems
-I don't have enough enthusiasm/personality
-My social skills kind of fail
-I worry my PTSD could be triggered and I might cause a scene or at worst hurt myself, others and possibly expensive equipment and I would not know what to do.
Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Magnate

IceCreamKid believes in affirmations.

3 yr Member
184 hugs
given
Default Re: Slow paced jobs?

You sound like a good candidate for some sort of career counseling. Sometimes this is offered through agencies that also provide other assistance. You might try seeing what social services are offered in your local area. You might also consider the time of day and the days of the week as part of your criteria. I always found night work less stressful and also weekend work less stressful. A job outdoors might appeal to you. I looked at the webpage of Goodwill in Denver (as an example); a nonprofit organization might be a good fit for you and they also offer all kinds of help with job placement, etc. You might try looking up the nonprofits like Goodwill in your local area and seeing what they offer in terms of employment and in terms of career counseling, job placement, etc. Courage!
IceCreamKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Pandita-in-training
Perna is feeling.

5 yr Member
413 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I would look at all the local/state/school sorts of behind-the-scene jobs like stock room clerk, library work (not front desk), maybe courier jobs if you can drive okay (car dealers have a guy who drives the cars to get their state inspection/emission tests done or fix problems with DMV/MVA that require standing in lines, etc., for example), that sort of thing. If you are good with animals, I'd volunteer with an animal welfare/ASPCA sort of place to help do the dog walking, cleaning, etc. and see if you could get a paid job over time there after you get to know the people/job.

Where do your skills and interests lie? There's office cleaning jobs that happen at night with one or two others, aren't too demanding, that sort of thing. Night clerk jobs where there are few customers/other people around.
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
Magnate

Hellion has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
4 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I don't drive and don't plan on it since I know driving in traffic would cause me too much stress and anxiety to be a safe driver.

Other then that I would say the most appealing of those suggestions would be working with animals since I am good with them...However for the time being I'd only be interested in paying part time work. I mean I even need income to be able to ride the bus or light rail to get to the animal shelters or whatever. I cannot exactly depend on my friends or family helping me with funds and rides all the time since they have bills to pay and things to do as well.

I also actually like cleaning, but since the most experience I have is just cleaning houses I am not sure if they'd hire me for more professional cleaning positions...I guess I would find out.

Last edited by Hellion; 07-24-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Unread 07-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
Magnate
fishsandwich is in a mood.

2 yr Member
675 hugs
given

I wonder if you could do something like data entry? It can be not very demanding depending on the organisation, and lots of charities need part-time data entry clerks.

One thought I had re: not being able to follow verbal directions. Can you follow directions if somebody writes them out so you have them around? That kind of accommodation falls directly under the Americans with Disabilities Act and it's not unreasonable to ask for, nor should it be a huge deal for your employer to do for you.
fishsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Magnate

Hellion has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
4 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCreamKid View Post
You sound like a good candidate for some sort of career counseling. Sometimes this is offered through agencies that also provide other assistance. You might try seeing what social services are offered in your local area. You might also consider the time of day and the days of the week as part of your criteria. I always found night work less stressful and also weekend work less stressful. A job outdoors might appeal to you. I looked at the webpage of Goodwill in Denver (as an example); a nonprofit organization might be a good fit for you and they also offer all kinds of help with job placement, etc. You might try looking up the nonprofits like Goodwill in your local area and seeing what they offer in terms of employment and in terms of career counseling, job placement, etc. Courage!
I did try applying for goodwill but they only had management type positions and I haven't looked again since I am not necessarily interested in working there. I was thinking maybe places that have something to do with things I am interested ind because my theory is if I enjoy the job and its not too much stress I'd do well in it...otherwise I'm not so sure.

As far as career counseling though I kind of prefer to deal with people I don't know to well as little as possible, but if I can't find anything maybe I'd look into more help with finding jobs...but if I can find one without having to resort to that it would be good since then I only would have to deal with the employer, other employees and maybe some customers. Also I am not so sure they help with part time work....I mean I am not exactly looking for a full time career just something I could do for a little income to get started with. Thanks though I appreciate the input.
Unread 07-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Magnate

Hellion has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
4 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I am considering applying at music stores(that sale vinyls, cd's ect) and also there are lots of head shops/smoke shops which seem more slower paced as they usually aren't very crowded with customers....the only issue with those ideas is whether or not such places are hiring.
Unread 07-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #8

GailH has no updates.

My Mood:

2 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsandwich View Post
I wonder if you could do something like data entry? It can be not very demanding depending on the organisation, and lots of charities need part-time data entry clerks.

One thought I had re: not being able to follow verbal directions. Can you follow directions if somebody writes them out so you have them around? That kind of accommodation falls directly under the Americans with Disabilities Act and it's not unreasonable to ask for, nor should it be a huge deal for your employer to do for you.
Data entry is an extremely demanding and stressful job. Clerks are often required to reach very high quotas and be accurate as well. I am a data entry clerk and often go home with sore wrists after not having made my quota. The jobs are low pay and people who do such work often aren't respected. Right now I'm in the hot seat.
GailH is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 07-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
Magnate

Hellion has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
4 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailH View Post
Data entry is an extremely demanding and stressful job. Clerks are often required to reach very high quotas and be accurate as well. I am a data entry clerk and often go home with sore wrists after not having made my quota. The jobs are low pay and people who do such work often aren't respected. Right now I'm in the hot seat.
Yeah I don't think I could handle it then...I mean I can type but if its extremely demanding and stressfull that would be a problem.