Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Sleep Issues & Dream Interpretation

advertisement
Unread 02-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
KitChan has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
7 hugs
given
Unhappy freeze up in your sleep before??

I've been experiencing this for quite some time. it doesn't come often which is a total relief but it is super scary anyway. just as i am about to doze off to sleep (which is very difficult for an insomniac like me) my body freezes up. the thing is, i am still awake and i cant move a single part of my body, scream, talk- nothing. then there's this loud, LOUD noise in my ears that annoys me.

i 'unfreeze' after frantically trying to move again. usually within a minute or so.. it's a horrible experience. really.
KitChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 05:13 AM   #2
Gojamadar has no updates.

3 yr Member
Default Re: freeze up in your sleep before??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitChan View Post
I've been experiencing this for quite some time. it doesn't come often which is a total relief but it is super scary anyway. just as i am about to doze off to sleep (which is very difficult for an insomniac like me) my body freezes up. the thing is, i am still awake and i cant move a single part of my body, scream, talk- nothing. then there's this loud, LOUD noise in my ears that annoys me.

i 'unfreeze' after frantically trying to move again. usually within a minute or so.. it's a horrible experience. really.
Hi,
I think you'll notice this happens when you're lying on your back. You go to sleep with your hands on your chest or stomach and you have to be "frightened" awake and start again. This can also happen if you're stressed or depressed. The problem is worse if you take any medicines.
Although you you think you're awake really you're asleep, but at or near the waking level.
Get into a comfortable sleeping position and try agai.
Gojamadar is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 02-27-2011, 01:26 AM   #3
Where the HELL are we?

Elysium feels like we don't belong.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
30 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I used to experience this when I was a little girl. It really is terrifying!!

Although I am in no way attempting to diagnose you, it sounds like you may be experiencing what is called "sleep paralysis". I'm sending along the link to WebMD. I've studied up on sleep paralysis and the WebMD page actually gives pretty accurate info on it.

I hope it helps.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders...leep-paralysis
Unread 02-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
Okami life is too damn short.

3 yr Member

I believe this is sleep paralysis. It is more commonly experienced upon waking up but on occasion can plaque people as they are about to sleep. I used to experience in this regularly and at very specific times. Both awakening and falling asleep. And I will admit that the 'falling asleep' phenomena is much more disturbing.

The key is to try and provoke the most slightest of movements upon realization of the paralysis. For me it is my pinky finger that I put all of my effort into moving. Often times the sheer concentration will cause you to 'unfreeze'. However, even though it feels like forever, you will always come to. Sometimes it just helps to ride it out and reassure yourself you'll be fine in a few seconds.

The good thing I have found about the type that occurs upon falling asleep is that often times you can just get up out of bed for a second and walk a short distance, go back and lay in a different position. For me this usually prevents it from happening again that night.

While it is frightening, it is also pretty harmless. And most of the time it can be prevented by altering habits such as caffeine intake at certain times as well as being sure you're on a well balanced and regulated sleeping schedule. Reduction of stress is another way to keep it on a tight leash.

Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Anonymous33070
Anonymous33070 has no updates. Edit

I've experienced this as well. I have suffered with it so many times. I have heard voices, hallucinated and I have had a feeling of dread when it happens. I heard a woman call my name twice while I was experiencing sleep paralysis and that was creepy. When I'm experiencing sleep paralysis I pray in my head and one time I felt something on my bed, it felt like a dog would be lying on my bed but nothing was there. I prayed and it went away. I think these attacks happen because I sleep on my back. You shouldn't be freaked out or scared when you're experiencing sleep paralysis, just lie still or try to bite your lip or move one part of your body and think you'll be able to move in a minute. I try moving parts of my body so that it can wake me up. I understand it can be scary. I'm kind of used to it, now I feel like they're a minute long. The cause of sleep paralysis could be... that you might be over sleeping, your sleep routine might be mucked up or you sleep on your back.