Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Sleep Issues & Dream Interpretation

advertisement
Unread 10-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
Grand Member

Amanda_1981 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
Default sudden body jerks right before I fall asleep

the last few weeks I've noticed that as I've been falling asleep, right before I fall asleep, my body suddenly jerks really bad where it feels like I'm having a seizure. It's been happening every night around the same time always right before I fall asleep. It's so weird, I'm just laying in bed, and all of a sudden my whole body jerks for a split second and then I'm fine. Should I be concerned about this? This has never happened to me before... I did recently start a new medication (remeron), I wonder if that could be a possible side effect maybe? Anyone have any idea of what it could indicate and if I should be concerned about it? Thanks
Amanda_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Elder

AAAAA has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
2 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: sudden body jerks right before I fall asleep

I've had that before. I wish I could tell you how I got them to stop, but they stopped on their own, and have returned from time to time. I did mention it to my doctor, but I really do not recall what he said about it.
Unread 10-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
Poohbah

billieJ has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member

Dear Amanda, I've experienced this all my life, so not so much now that I no longer sleep!! lol. I have heard it explained that it's just your muscles relaxing all at once, from the tension of the day, and not to worry about it at all. I've taken Remeron - as well as every other antidepressant under the sun - and that made no difference at all, so far as I recall. It could be that the remeron makes you relax more so that this becomes more noticeable. I would mention it to you doc/pdoc, just in case, but I've heard several people describe it and have experienced what you seem to be describing many times. billieJ
billieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
Elder

ADHD1956 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda_1981 View Post
the last few weeks I've noticed that as I've been falling asleep, right before I fall asleep, my body suddenly jerks really bad where it feels like I'm having a seizure. It's been happening every night around the same time always right before I fall asleep. It's so weird, I'm just laying in bed, and all of a sudden my whole body jerks for a split second and then I'm fine. Should I be concerned about this? This has never happened to me before... I did recently start a new medication (remeron), I wonder if that could be a possible side effect maybe? Anyone have any idea of what it could indicate and if I should be concerned about it? Thanks
I'd say it is the Remeron as tremors are a side effect. I looked it up in my drug book. You may want to let your prescribing physician know, but there shouldn't be any problems.
Unread 10-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
Poohbah

Greenleaves has no updates.

My Mood:

8 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I think those jerks are normal. It happens sometimes when we are falling asleep. Everyone I know has had them. So don't worry.
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
Administrator
Community Support Team

sabby Who am I? I'm me. Why am I here? Because I'm nowhere else.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
3,190 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

They are very common. The worst that can happen is that it wakes you up fully and scares you a bit. The jerk is caused by the body relaxing, the muscles relaxing and the nerve impulses slowing down as you drift off to sleep. It's kind of unnerving sometimes isn't it? But really...it's nothing to worry about.

You might try doing some deep breathing excercises before bed, or even saying goodnight to your body as you are lying in bed before going to sleep. Start with your toes and work up to your head by saying goodnite, it's time to relax to different parts of your body. If I'm having a good night, I'm asleep before I get to my shoulders or neck and no jerks are noticed.

Sleep tight! (or maybe that should be relaxed??? LOL)
sabby is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-14-2009, 02:19 AM   #7
Where the HELL are we?

Elysium feels like we don't belong.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
30 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Hey Amanda!!

I agree with Sabby.

This sounds like myoclonous (myoclonic jerks), which happens with everybody from time to time...some people more than others.

It can be quite annoying and disturbing when one doesn't understand what it is, but the type of myoclonous you are speaking about is called sleep myoclonous. It is not dangerous, other than causing a bit of anxiety in people who find it uncomfortable.

I am putting in a link here that talks more about it. Don't be alarmed about the stuff that discusses Epilepsy, as this is NOT what you have described.

It sounds like the Remeron may be relaxing you to the point you drop off to sleep and your body is so relaxed that your nervous system reacts to the relaxation.

Sabby had a good suggestion, about saying goodnight to your body. This can help. I do this sometimes myself and I also count backwards from 100. Usually around 80 I start messing up the numbers, but I'm so relaxed I don't care, and shortly after that I'm asleep.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/m..._myoclonus.htm

Take care!!
Unread 10-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

theotterone has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member

I have it happen a lot. It is like I become "aware" of falling asleep and my body jerks. It can be disconcerting!

Know you are not alone!

Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light!

They say I have A.D.D. but I think they are full off...
Oh look! A CHICKEN!

Be careful how you look at the world, it may look back!
How do you want to be seen?
theotterone is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #9

twinmommy38 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
5 hugs
given

Thank you so much for asking this question and for the link:

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/m..._myoclonus.htm

Some one at work asked me about this yesterday. She said it is not just during sleep this occurs. She was worried about it. She said it felt like her body "shocked" her. She also said her doctor did not take her complaint seriously and chuckled about it.

I am printing up the link that was given. Maybe if she takes it to the doctor it will better help her to get answers.
twinmommy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
Grand Member

lynn09 brrrrrrr.....

My Mood:

5 yr Member
57 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Good information from everyone here ((Amanda)) - I appreciate it, also. I've had this pretty much throughout my life, probably due to the neurological damage to my spinal cord, etc. I have found it to be increased by certain medications. Also, I know that this can occur due to a build up of sugars in the muscle fibers causing them to fire and release.

Anyway, I have found that doing very gentle stretching exercises before going to sleep helps to prevent this "sudden" relaxing then tensing. I find that the sudden jerking also tends to pump adrenaline into my system making it more difficult then for me to sleep. So, doing the stretching helps to prevent this further sleep disruption .
But oh, the things I learned from her when Sorrow walked with me!"

(Robert Browning Hamilton; "Along The Road")
lynn09 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: