Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Self-Help Ideas and Goal Setting

advertisement
Unread 10-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Grand Magnate

unguy is unhappy.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
798 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default List of Short-Term Goals

I have a habit of making lists and then tossing them and getting very little done. Of course, the lists often have more things that I can possibly do in the allotted amount of time. So, here is a list of things for this weekend:

1. Finish and revise letter to SSDI
2. The usual: grocery, laundry, ironing
3. Cleaning (my weak point)
4. Re-arrange furniture
5. Start organizing finances
6. Read self-help books
7. Job hunt

Wish me luck!
unguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #2

Mindinpieces has no updates.

2 yr Member
255 hugs
given
Default Re: List of Short-Term Goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappyguy View Post
I have a habit of making lists and then tossing them and getting very little done. Of course, the lists often have more things that I can possibly do in the allotted amount of time. So, here is a list of things for this weekend:

1. Finish and revise letter to SSDI
2. The usual: grocery, laundry, ironing
3. Cleaning (my weak point)
4. Re-arrange furniture
5. Start organizing finances
6. Read self-help books
7. Job hunt

Wish me luck!
I have a habit of also doing this, so I give up on writing list but then I come unstuck when I can't remember what I need to do and when I am unable to keep track of things. One tip try not to set time scale to things in other words; here is the list of today but not when this must be done or finished, just know that when your ready you can move on to your next list or add a new things on to your on going list. Also try getting a white board or chalk board that way you can update edit things as and when and it may be better then papaer list, keep ripping them up then writing newones and then losing them etc. That is what I am like and it may help you or may not. I hope you are gettting on ok and wishing you all the best.
Mindinpieces is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Magnate

likewater has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
359 hugs
given

I could borrow the same goals except I just need to go to my job before I lose it. Do need to apply for food stamps and help with utilities. I've missed a lot of work due to FMLA. also my house is so dirty i'm having bad dreams about it. I'm proud of you for having your goals.
likewater is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Magnate

yellowted has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
264 hugs
given

good luck to you all x

my goals are

to not get frustrated when i drop something or get my wheelchair stuck in the doorway
to give my pets the attention they deserve not just that which they need
to talk with at least two people every day, not including shop assistants!
to do two chores fully each day, not start and then give up
to go out as much as possible.
yellowted is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 10-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Grand Magnate

unguy is unhappy.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
798 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Well, it's Sunday night. Laundry - done; Grocery - did some; Ironing - all done.
I spent the day apartment cleaning. There is still lots to do. But, I made some progress. Some furniture was moved too. I think my postings helped put me in the mindset. I will continue with these goals and wish everyone the best with theirs.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 10-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Grand Magnate

unguy is unhappy.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
798 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Another week has passed and an updated list of goals is due. It has been a week of change. I will be taking a break from organized religion as I do not believe it is helping with my issues. I will continue with my Excel training class on Fridays and will increase my job hunting efforts. I will continue motivating myself to do thins and have to admit that I have mixed emotions about working. I have not been able to motivate myself to exercise or do much apartment cleaning and I need to work a lot to change that behavior. These will be my goals for the week: exercising, apartment cleaning and job hunting. I am hoping that accomplishing these goals will help with my depression and social anxiety, which seem to be increasing and are a cause for great concern. It is clear that when it comes to life that I have no idea what I'm doing. I am just going through the motions. It's a sad way to live.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 10-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Legendary

hankster likes doing the chicken dance, not just at weddings.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
6,200 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappyguy View Post
It is clear that when it comes to life that I have no idea what I'm doing. I am just going through the motions. It's a sad way to live.
How do we not know this? ie how to do better. We're smart, right? It's like, unless we're fighting for our our lives, struggling AGAINST something, we just go limp.
hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
Grand Magnate

unguy is unhappy.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
798 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
How do we not know this? ie how to do better. We're smart, right? It's like, unless we're fighting for our our lives, struggling AGAINST something, we just go limp.

I have made a lot of effort over the years, to little avail. I have had a lot of bad luck and am hampered by poor social skills. There is so much psychologically wrong with me that even after months or years there has been little to no progress from therapy. Being gay is clearly not for me. I am struggling with c-PTSD from repeated abuse on the job and socially. Lately, I just feel totally defeated and, for the most part, have given up on my life. My problems are incurable.

Last edited by unguy; 10-27-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Hugs from:
Unread 10-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Rana Bella

Pfrog has no updates.

2 yr Member PC PoohBah!

(((unhappyguy))) ... Don't forget adding staying safe in the hurricane to your to do list for this weekend ... !!!

I often get frustrated with my to do lists and end up shredding them only to make them over and over and over again ... I often wonder at how much I would have gotten accomplished had I just stuck to my initial list ...

Pfrog!

ps. Even if you do feel incurable, I just want you to know how much your input here is needed and appreciated ... ...
Pfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
Grand Poohbah

Beholden has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
141 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Heart Re: List of Short-Term Goals

It is so good to see you having 'a list of goals' Guy! You sound so positive about all your efforts.

until:

"It is clear that when it comes to life that I have no idea what I'm doing. I am just going through the motions. It's a sad way to live."

Now, where did you decide this - of course you have an idea of what you are doing. YOU made a list of goals. Sometimes just the motions are good enough. Good enough is good. Good enough is way better than giving up. In fact doing good enough, just one little task each day is wonderful.

Goal setting is the area of my life I didn't ever learn as a child. It isn't natural to me, even now at almost 65! But it works. Once you get in the HABIT of writing a reasonable list and a reasonable time frame - you are good to go.

Example. you got your laundry done, ironing done, moved some of the furniture and you are learning Excel. That's a lot! Motivation is hard when you have the whammy of depression or other mental illness. Don't be so hard on yourself Guy.

Heck, as much as I loose motivation to do the boring tasks that are always going to be there, with sleeping most of a day or just sitting watching TV when the dog hair is flying around the living room, or the toilets need a good scrubbing, I get it. But you do have a way to know how to live Dude! You want better that what you have had. That's a good thing as Martha Steward would say.

Please reread your first few posts and see how positive you were. Your goal for me is to be kind to yourself because you have done a good job from where you were.

You express yourself so well on paper (or I guess this is on PC) I still think you need to help your continued recovery by writing your autobio. REALLY.

Hope Sandy didn't get in your way. Thoughts and prayers to you. I still feel some sort of kineship to you, so don't give up on your goal setting. It works.