Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Self-Help Ideas and Goal Setting

advertisement
Unread 01-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #1

aria83 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
2 hugs
given
Default how do you get motivated to do something when u are depressed??

How do you get motivated to do something you committed to do, either to yourself or someone else, when you are depressed, unmotivated, and really don't want to and feel like you'd feel worse if you went ahead with your commitment?
aria83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 10:53 PM   #2

Hopeless_2010 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Default Re: how do you get motivated to do something when u are depressed??

I'd like to know the same thing

~ To Dream Of The Person You Want To Be Is To Waste The Person You Are ~
Hopeless_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 01-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
who reads this, anyway?

Yoda misses Dusty :(

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Yoda could use some motivation help too.

Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #4

goodgirl62 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member

I hope it's ok to post this here but I pray every night for stength to get through the next day. I also thank God for getting me through today. I have been depressed for a few years now. I have gained about 80lbs but when my 17 year old daughter who has been dealing with my depression for about 4 years needs something or wants to visit a friend, I get my butt out of my bed and take care of her needs.
Try hard to do some of the things your commited to do. I lost all my friends because I let my depression take me over. People don't always understand how exhausting depression is and how the depressed person isn't faking. I bet that you will be happy that you did something and it will give you more strength.
goodgirl62 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 01-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
Pandita-in-training

Perna is feeling.

5 yr Member
412 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have what I call my rutabaga action plan. I call it that because rutabaga is such a ridiculous word and never fails to make me smile. I don't particularly care for rutabaga (or turnips :-) but my thinking for getting things done that I have no energy/interest in doing but feel I must is to do something I really don't want to do, like clean bathrooms? LOL Start something you really don't want to do and you'll get energy from actually doing something, anything, and, there's the added benefit that your little Self will be hunting wildly for something you DO want to do, rather than whatever nasty thing you're doing. But if you're depressed and unmotivated, how much worse can it get? You might as well do things you don't want to do, LOL. Doesn't "hurt" anything and can actually help.
So I trust too.

~John Masefield
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2010, 01:26 PM   #6

Ratanddragon has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna View Post
I have what I call my rutabaga action plan. I call it that because rutabaga is such a ridiculous word and never fails to make me smile. I don't particularly care for rutabaga (or turnips :-) but my thinking for getting things done that I have no energy/interest in doing but feel I must is to do something I really don't want to do, like clean bathrooms? LOL Start something you really don't want to do and you'll get energy from actually doing something, anything, and, there's the added benefit that your little Self will be hunting wildly for something you DO want to do, rather than whatever nasty thing you're doing. But if you're depressed and unmotivated, how much worse can it get? You might as well do things you don't want to do, LOL. Doesn't "hurt" anything and can actually help.
So, you play games with your mind instead of letting your mind play games with you?....great concept!
Unread 02-04-2010, 01:00 AM   #7

kittyann has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1 hugs
given

i have to make myself do it anyway. usually if i don't go ahead and follow through on the committment it makes me feel even more depressed. it makes me feel more like a failure so i just have to tell myself these things and remind myself that i committed to do this and i have to whether i want to or not.

at least if i follow through i won't feel like a failure for not doing it.
kittyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 01:53 AM   #8

Ascension has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member

I find knowing when I can and when I can't is important. But when I can I make myself do it because, the guilt of not doing it is worse then the frustration with having to do it. Guilt and shame really fuel my depression and my lack of motivation. It can and does become cyclical for me. It snowballs if I let it.
Unread 02-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
Poohbah

marjan has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

music is lifting my sprite and keep me motivated to do things....
marjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
screamout has no updates.

5 yr Member

I love sewing and creating things so my depression really effects my creative side. When I'm feeling really low I don't want to do anything, then as the day goes on I feel more and more guilt and shame for not doing anything so I make myself do something really small. Like if my goal is to finish a necklace, I'll make myself pick out the beads I'll use. Once I get started it usually makes me feel like doing something more.
Good luck!!!
screamout is offline   Reply With Quote