Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Schizophrenia and Psychosis

advertisement
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #21
hexacoda has no updates.

My Mood:

Default Re: religion and schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder

I was Pagan. During one episode of psychosis I thought I had become a messenger of the Gods. During another I suddenly became interested in Christianity. That didn't last long. Now I can't seem to have faith in any belief; it's too close to psychosis.
hexacoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #22
Materly has no updates.

1 hugs
given

The thing with psychosis is that if you are delusional you can literally subscribe to any belief. Whether it be aliens , Angels , Government interference , Deities , Devils, Mind Readers . Literally anything. There is absolutely no limit given who you meet in the day , what you interpert from conversations , what you see in the televison , etc.

So what is happening? the mind is making false inferences and assumptions.
Materly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #23
Elder

faerie_moon_x Better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
3,697 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

My delusion was based on spiritual beliefs and magic although not Christian. I agree it doesn't matter what thing it is, once it gets ahold of you it can be anything.

When I was in 7th grade we watched a video on alien abductions at school for English class (I can't say why... weird teacher I guess.) After that I was sure the aliens were after me specifically and I would lay awake at night listening for any indication that the ship might be landing in our yard.... >.< I remember going on a road trip with my aunt and cousins and insisting to sit by the window at night so I could watch for the alien ship....

So, I also think I'm more susceptable to things like that if I'm not careful.

Do you like to read? Check out my work in progress at:
http://reginnax.blogspot.com/
faerie_moon_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 05:27 AM   #24
Chryss has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseblossom View Post
Has anyone else had any experience of themes of religion or the devil being involved in their illness?

I began to get ill about 20 years ago and at that time I was wanting to go to church and was thinking about the meaning of life and expecting my first child.

About 10 years later I became a Christian. But I've now come to the conclusion that I can't seem to be a healthy Christian because of a tendency to get out of balance with things on a religious theme due to the illness. Can anyone else relate?
Back before I got treated, I thought the world had ended and I was living in hell. I thought my housemates were all demons and I was going to become one. Then another time I thought that I was the last remaining person that hadn't gotten into either heaven or hell and there was a battle going on for my soul.
Chryss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #25

Apotheosis has no updates.

5 yr Member
5 hugs
given

In the original psychosis i was convinced that i'd lost my soul to the devil. i had visions of the end of the World. So much has happened since then too. i read the Bible for a few years. i used to believe that people were the Devil. i believed that i was the Devil at one point too, & God another time. i had all kinds of experiences of evil.

The medication does work to keep it all away - & i dropped all the religion. i do have a lot of interest in spirituality, but see that as being very different to religion.
Apotheosis is offline   Reply With Quote