Forums at Psych Central

Forums at Psych Central (http://forums.psychcentral.com/)
-   Schizophrenia and Psychosis (http://forums.psychcentral.com/schizophrenia-psychosis/)
-   -   religion and schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder (http://forums.psychcentral.com/schizophrenia-psychosis/286444-religion-schizophrenia-schizoaffective-disorder.html)

hexacoda 08-09-2013 07:07 PM

Re: religion and schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder

I was Pagan. During one episode of psychosis I thought I had become a messenger of the Gods. During another I suddenly became interested in Christianity. That didn't last long. Now I can't seem to have faith in any belief; it's too close to psychosis.

Materly 08-10-2013 10:35 AM

The thing with psychosis is that if you are delusional you can literally subscribe to any belief. Whether it be aliens , Angels , Government interference , Deities , Devils, Mind Readers . Literally anything. There is absolutely no limit given who you meet in the day , what you interpert from conversations , what you see in the televison , etc.

So what is happening? the mind is making false inferences and assumptions.

faerie_moon_x 08-12-2013 12:36 PM

My delusion was based on spiritual beliefs and magic although not Christian. I agree it doesn't matter what thing it is, once it gets ahold of you it can be anything.

When I was in 7th grade we watched a video on alien abductions at school for English class (I can't say why... weird teacher I guess.) After that I was sure the aliens were after me specifically and I would lay awake at night listening for any indication that the ship might be landing in our yard.... >.< I remember going on a road trip with my aunt and cousins and insisting to sit by the window at night so I could watch for the alien ship....

So, I also think I'm more susceptable to things like that if I'm not careful. :(

Chryss 12-17-2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roseblossom (Post 3141218)
Has anyone else had any experience of themes of religion or the devil being involved in their illness?

I began to get ill about 20 years ago and at that time I was wanting to go to church and was thinking about the meaning of life and expecting my first child.

About 10 years later I became a Christian. But I've now come to the conclusion that I can't seem to be a healthy Christian because of a tendency to get out of balance with things on a religious theme due to the illness. Can anyone else relate?

Back before I got treated, I thought the world had ended and I was living in hell. I thought my housemates were all demons and I was going to become one. Then another time I thought that I was the last remaining person that hadn't gotten into either heaven or hell and there was a battle going on for my soul.

Apotheosis 12-17-2013 09:49 PM

In the original psychosis i was convinced that i'd lost my soul to the devil. i had visions of the end of the World. So much has happened since then too. i read the Bible for a few years. i used to believe that people were the Devil. i believed that i was the Devil at one point too, & God another time. i had all kinds of experiences of evil.

The medication does work to keep it all away - & i dropped all the religion. i do have a lot of interest in spirituality, but see that as being very different to religion.