Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Schizophrenia and Psychosis

advertisement
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
Poohbah

mimi2112 has no updates.

1,445 hugs
given
Default Re: religion and schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder

may I ask why you have not been given a therapist? I am sorry you are depressed. I believe that wellness is a balancing act.. a little spirituality and a little psychology and a little psychiatry when needed. is the nhs not giving you any services at all?
mimi2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
Grand Member

cybermember has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
479 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Religion has never played a part in my illness as I am an atheist. My themes have been about the government.
cybermember is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
Poohbah

mimi2112 has no updates.

1,445 hugs
given

my themes tend to be more about the government and especially police. last night I was watching a sheriff being interviewed. what's weird for me is that I noticed the 5 point star of the badge and I couldn't help but correlate it to a pentagram, in the evil sense. like sheriff badge symbolized evil for me on some level. IDK it's weird to explain it.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
Magnate

Sometimes psychotic Is totally into shamanism :)

My Mood:

2,387 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermember View Post
Religion has never played a part in my illness as I am an atheist. My themes have been about the government.
I was an atheist before the break but when I got desperate, I prayed and made a promise to God to believe if he helped me. I'm basically cured and still feel I need to keep my promise.

Unidentified Amazon shaman.
Sometimes psychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #15

roseblossom Trying to change.

82 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi2112 View Post
may I ask why you have not been given a therapist? I am sorry you are depressed. I believe that wellness is a balancing act.. a little spirituality and a little psychology and a little psychiatry when needed. is the nhs not giving you any services at all?
I've been told that its very unlikely that I would be able to see a psychologist because of the shortage of places - actually my community nurse just fobs me off and to be frank has been useless. I really don't want to see her again and am considering withdrawing from the mental health team's 'care' because it just seems to be mostly about keeping tabs on you and asking you the same question over and over again which is 'what do you think will help'? So, essentially the service I get from the nhs is a prescription of an antipsychotic, plus other meds I now have to take for diabetes etc because the weight gain caused by the antipsychotic gave me diabetes.
roseblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:53 AM   #16
Grand Poohbah

WeepingWillow23 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Although I don't feel acutely psychotic at the moment, I do feel that I am not worthy to have a good life, that God is punishing me; that I have done something wrong. I know it sounds irrational, but it's because I'm not happy and I don't feel a connection to God. I get told all the time to have faith and have a relationship with God, and I do pray but I still don't feel better... so yeah, sometimes I do think I am a bad person,and you could conclude that I am delusional to a degree. So there is a religious component to my illness.
Yeah, me too I'm not really religious, but I would like to be spiritual. I miss that safe comforting feeling that I had as a child when I believed in God and thought about Him. But I guess I feel that any God isn't interested in me and I deserve all my problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseblossom View Post
To be honest though I really think that I need the help of a psychologist but the nhs seem to have shut the door on funding one. Its hard to not to feel depressed.
Yeah me too. I really, really want a therapist. I feel like my depression & psychosis are related to low self esteem, and I need some serious help to deal with that, but I can't access any. My pdoc just gives me meds. I have no CPN. And the only therapy available is IAPT stuff for mild/moderate depression and anxiety, which pdoc says won't help me. I thought it was just my area NHS, so I'm sorry that you're having the same problem

*Willow*
WeepingWillow23 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 06-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #17
Poohbah

mimi2112 has no updates.

1,445 hugs
given

it's not ok to treat this illness with just meds. i'm sorry to hear that you, Rose and Willow, have no access to a therapist. i have a therapist through the community mental health service. i have heard though that even here, some with psychosis and acute Sz dx will only get meds. i don't understand the logic. even acutely psychotic and Sz sufferers need to have someone to talk to.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #18
Anonymous32433
Anonymous32433 has no updates. Edit

Quote:
I see a big difference between religion and spirituality. I believe that having some kind of ritual (like in the Catholic Church) helps some of us. Having faith and connection helps some of us. But I tend to get really creeped out with extremes and I can see how easy it would be to lose touch with reality and have religious delusions. Some of it has to do with it (Catholocism) being shoved down my throat, shaming and frightening me into the practice of religious rituals as a child. I was told that I was a sinner. So it makes sense that these things would creep up in to my psychosis.

Although I don't feel acutely psychotic at the moment, I do feel that I am not worthy to have a good life, that God is punishing me; that I have done something wrong. I know it sounds irrational, but it's because I'm not happy and I don't feel a connection to God. I get told all the time to have faith and have a relationship with God, and I do pray but I still don't feel better... so yeah, sometimes I do think I am a bad person,and you could conclude that I am delusional to a degree. So there is a religious component to my illness.

Then there are the people who insist that I have a spiritual disease and not a mental illness....that's a whole rant that I won't get into. (for now)
i have felt that way too you know. at times i'm like nobody cares about me, not even god. That's how i felt. now i don't feel that way as much but when things don't come my way i'm like why does this have to happen? First i have to reason with myself that oh i must have fallen short of this or maybe i forgot to do this or something.i try to be logical first and then i start asking myself if it's a spiritual thing. when i'm not clearheaded, i'm like why am i feeling this way? do i need to get some rest or should i pray to have it removed from me right this instant?

whenever someone says something mean to me, i'm like is God punishing me for not spending enough time with him? am i not praying enough? do i feel like forsaking him comes with a huge price? so you see, all these negative things start to invade my mind and the next thing you know i'm right there crying.
i've also felt that nonchristians have it all easy. they don't have to suffer and htey have lots of friends. being christian makes me want to be selective when it comes to being friends with someone. like i was told in church to find christian friends everywhere but truth is the christians that i know are too cocky or too not my type. i go for nonbelievers and they seem to be okay to talk to only they can't be close friends in the long run. so sad.

i have already prayed for friendships, both christian and nonchristian, and yet nothing has come. i'm so saddened by the fact that everyone else still has plenty of people to talk to whereas i've only met a few people that i can trust.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #19

James_from_Idaho has no updates.

My Mood:

94 hugs
given

I have read everybodies post.. And one occuring thing comes to me, to my mind.. In the Word it says that God has concluded the israelites under sin.. So that he can have mercy on them all.. And I believe he has done the same to us.. Those things we struggle with, the very things that are out of our control, are the thing's that make us forgiven.. I mean, look at like this.. If somebody can't help theirself, than they are indeed innocent.. And if you think I don't struggle on a daily basis, you are wrong.. Everybody does in some way.. Of course I would not want it to be that way..
James_from_Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
7654321 has no updates.

Question Re: religion and schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseblossom View Post
Has anyone else had any experience of themes of religion or the devil being involved in their illness?

I began to get ill about 20 years ago and at that time I was wanting to go to church and was thinking about the meaning of life and expecting my first child.

About 10 years later I became a Christian. But I've now come to the conclusion that I can't seem to be a healthy Christian because of a tendency to get out of balance with things on a religious theme due to the illness. Can anyone else relate?
Hi I have schizoaffective bipolar religiously themed. I can relate not being able to function in social settings, but whats the reason you say you can't be a healthy Christian? Why do you say you are out of balance? I can relate to that.
7654321 is offline   Reply With Quote