Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Schizoaffective Disorder

advertisement
Unread 05-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #1

brackenbeard should get a dog.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
7 hugs
given
Default what can you do? just try to live a normal life right.

When I was first being diagnosed, in the early stages of getting treatment, and coming to grips with bi polar & schizoaffective disorder I became obsessed with studying mental illness, and trying to figure out what to do to get better. To try to make some sense of what I was going through. I learned a lot, forgot a lot, but remained obsessed with seeking a solution, a fix, or maybe the tools, and the right understanding to overcome this illness.

Fast forward three years. My whole attitude has changed. I'm no longer seeking an answer for what i experience. I'm putting all my energy behind trying to live a normal life, and not worrying about what's wrong, diagnoses, symptoms, labels etc. I take my meds, go to work, see my therapist, and get on with whatever life throws at me. My attitude nowadays is: to make sense of it is to not make sense of it. Their are tough days, and their are decent days, but moreover i just don't get absorbed in it anymore. Of course when i'm hearing voices, and struggling to communicate with people, it's in my face and there's often nothing i can do but cope, but i'm finding out if i keep busy trying to live a normal life things just fall back into place.

I mean what can you do but try and live a normal life. Do normal things. I mean there's nothing deep to this situation in my view. Nothing gained by seeking out the answer. Leave it alone, and get on with living the life which for me will never be normal, but strive to get as close as i can with the cards i've been dealt.

I guess it was all a process of getting here. It was all just the natural progression of how I learned to deal with my illness. Does anyone else have similar stories of a shift in attitude in how you've dealt with illness?

I wish we could get together, and hold ourselves up together.
to take the actions that are hard to take together
we could do great things if only we were together
looking out for each other
available,
and of the same willingness
to bring about change.
brackenbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 05-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
Elder

costello is wishing things were different.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
4,734 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: what can you do? just try to live a normal life right.

A lot of wisdom here. Thanks, brackenbeard.

“Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded. It's a relationship between equals. Only when we know our own darkness well can we be present with the darkness of others. Compassion becomes real when we recognize our shared humanity.”--Pema Chödrön
costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Elder

costello is wishing things were different.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
4,734 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Love your blog btw - especially the post about structure and having a job. I emailed it to my son.

Thanks!

“Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded. It's a relationship between equals. Only when we know our own darkness well can we be present with the darkness of others. Compassion becomes real when we recognize our shared humanity.”--Pema Chödrön
costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Magnate
fishsandwich is in a mood.

2 yr Member
675 hugs
given

Yes, I'm doing that (I hope)! I'm still a very angry person and I'd like to change that. Otherwise I don't try to change my mental experiences, I just get on with it. It's nice to hear from other people who do.
fishsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Euphie Queen

WikidPissah is T-less.

3 yr Member
4,762 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

good stuff
Unread 05-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Grand Poohbah

Shayatanica is utterly bored und disillusioned with PC for now.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
656 hugs
given

I wax & wane between this perspective & obsession... But the obsession usually persists throughout the duration of an active episode. All in all? This is a very enlightened perspective & I believe it will serve you well through whatever you choose to do in life! Stress is bad for yah. : )
"It is pleasure that lurks in the practice of every one of your virtues. Man performs actions because they are good for him, and when they are good for other people as well they are thought virtuous ... It is for your private pleasure that you give twopence to a beggar as much as it is for my private pleasure that I drink another whiskey and soda. I, less of a humbug than you, neither applaud myself for my pleasure nor demand your admiration." - W. Somerset Maugham
Shayatanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #7

Queen.A Hopeful

My Mood:

2 yr Member
20 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by brackenbeard View Post

I mean what can you do but try and live a normal life. Do normal things. I mean there's nothing deep to this situation in my view. Nothing gained by seeking out the answer. Leave it alone, and get on with living the life which for me will never be normal, but strive to get as close as i can with the cards i've been dealt.

I guess it was all a process of getting here. It was all just the natural progression of how I learned to deal with my illness. Does anyone else have similar stories of a shift in attitude in how you've dealt with illness?
I agree completely..."do normal things..." but, guess "normal " is relative. What's deemed as normal to you may not necessarily be normal to the next guy. What's considered normal in one society may be abnormal in another.
It's a line I've said to my hubby frequently. Someone living with bipolar told me she cannot afford to be quiet for a few days without the people around her thinking she's depressed. Even when she is NOT depressed. Or too happy, excited without being thought to be in mania.
At the end of day, where do we draw the line? Everyone is different. I guess if it doesn't bother anyone, just do you. Be happy.
Queen.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
Poohbah
RunningEagleRuns Meh...

My Mood:

3 yr Member
75 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

great post
Check your blood levels, the level of the medicine you take in your blood. You could not be getting the dose you take, because your liver eats it up too quickly. I wish I knew it, I tried many meds without knowing how much of the med is actually in my blood. Good luck.

Positiveness

"all things end"
RunningEagleRuns is offline   Reply With Quote