Side Effects
spacerspacer
Pricing
spacerspacer
Average Price: $60.00 Thumbs up Recommended By
50% of reviewers (of 2 reviews)
   Post A Reply 

Viibryd (vilazodone hydrochloride)

Viibryd is indicated for the treatment of major depressive disorder (MDD) -- also known as clinical depression. The efficacy of Viibryd was established in two 8-week, placebo-controlled trials in adult patients with MDD.

Before Taking This Medication

Do not use Viibryd at the same time with an Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOI) or within 14 days of stopping or starting an MAOI.

The most frequent adverse reactions reported by patients taking Viibryd in clinical trials included diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and insomnia.

Viibryd and all other antidepressant drugs have a boxed warning and a patient medication guide describing the increased risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children, adolescents, and young adults ages 18 to 24 during initial treatment.

The warning also says data did not show this increased risk in adults older than 24 and that patients ages 65 and older who take antidepressants have a decreased risk of suicidal thinking and behavior. The warning says depression and other serious psychiatric disorders themselves are the most important causes of suicide and that close monitoring of patients starting these medications is necessary.

Warnings and Precautions

• Clinical Worsening/Suicide Risk: Monitor patients for clinical worsening and suicidal thinking or behavior.
  • Serotonin Syndrome or Neuroleptic Malignant (NMS)-like Syndrome: Can occur with treatment. Discontinue and initiate supportive treatment.
  • Seizures: Can occur with treatment. Use with caution in patients with a seizure disorder.
  • Abnormal Bleeding: Treatment can increase the risk of bleeding. Use with caution in association with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), aspirin, or other drugs that affect coagulation.
  • Activation of Mania/Hypomania: Can occur with treatment. Screen patients for bipolar disorder.
  • Discontinuation of Treatment with VIIBRYD: A gradual reduction in dose is recommended rather than an abrupt cessation.
  • Hyponatremia: Can occur in association with the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH).

Dosage

The recommended dose for Viibryd is 40 mg once daily. Viibryd should be titrated to the 40 mg dose, starting with an initial dose of 10 mg once daily for 7 days, followed by 20 mg once daily for an additional 7 days, and then increased to 40 mg once daily.

Viibryd should be taken with food. Administration without food can result in inadequate drug concentrations and may diminish effectiveness.

When discontinuing treatment, reduce the dose gradually.

Viibryd is manufactured by PGxHealth, New Haven, Conn.

Tags: viibyrd vilazodone hydrochloride

Post A Reply 

Reviews

marilyn921
Newly Joined

Tue January 28, 2014 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: $60.00| Rating: 7 

PROS: Works great for anxiety
CONS: Weight gain and uncontrollable appetite/very expensive copay

I took this medication after stopping Wellbutrin. While it virtually stopped my chronic anxiety, I haven't really been able to get the dose past 15 mg/day because it caused me such extreme hunger and cravings. This seems to be a fairly uncommon side effect, though, but I've gained about 8 pounds in 6 weeks while not eating any more than I did in the past. Have asked my doctor for a different rx and am waiting...

Click here to see this users profile Click here to Send this user a Private Message Find more posts by this user  

1948kate

Sun September 1, 2013 Recommended? No | Total Spent: None indicated| Rating: 1 

PROS:
CONS: It is not working. My depression continues to spiral downward after. Over a month on this medication. Weight gain of 5 pounds in 5 weeks

Has not helped at all. Weight gain as severe as on Paxil

Click here to see this users profile Click here to Send this user a Private Message Find more posts by this user  

Post A Review