(Out of 5 Stars)
Side Effects
spacerspacer
Pricing
spacerspacer
Average Price: $86.40 Thumbs up Recommended By
92% of reviewers (of 12 reviews)
   Post A Reply 

Pristiq is an antidepressant in a group of drugs called selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs). It works by restoring the balance of certain natural substances in the brain (serotonin and norepinephrine), which helps to improve certain mood problems.

Pristiq is used to treat major depressive disorder.

Pristiq may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

Important information about Pristiq

Do not take Pristiq if you are allergic to desvenlafaxine or venlafaxine (Effexor), or if you are also using a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), rasagiline (Azilect), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam), or tranylcypromine (Parnate). You must wait at least 14 days after stopping an MAOI before you can take Pristiq. After you stop taking Pristiq, you must wait at least 7 days before you start taking an MAOI.

You should not take Pristiq together with venlafaxine (Effexor).

You may have thoughts about suicide when you first start taking an antidepressant, especially if you are younger than 24 years old. Your doctor will need to check you at regular visits for at least the first 12 weeks of treatment.
Call your doctor at once if you have any new or worsening symptoms such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.

Avoid drinking alcohol, which can increase some of the side effects of Pristiq. It may take several weeks or more for your symptoms to improve. For best results, keep using the medication as directed. Do not stop using Pristiq without first talking to your doctor. You may have unpleasant side effects if you stop taking this medication suddenly.

Before taking Pristiq

Do not take Pristiq if you are allergic to desvenlafaxine or venlafaxine (Effexor), or if you are also using a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), rasagiline (Azilect), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam), or tranylcypromine (Parnate). You must wait at least 14 days after stopping an MAOI before you can take Pristiq. After you stop taking Pristiq, you must wait at least 7 days before you start taking an MAOI.

You should not take Pristiq together with venlafaxine (Effexor).

If you have any of these other conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take Pristiq:

• bipolar disorder (manic depression);
  • liver disease;
  • kidney disease;
  • heart disease or high blood pressure;
  • a history of stroke;
  • glaucoma;
  • seizures or epilepsy;
  • a bleeding or blood clotting disorder; or
  • high cholesterol.

You may have thoughts about suicide when you first start taking an antidepressant such as Pristiq, especially if you are younger than 24 years old. Tell your doctor if you have worsening symptoms of depression or suicidal thoughts during the first several weeks of treatment, or whenever your dose is changed.

Your family or other caregivers should also be alert to changes in your mood or symptoms. Your doctor will need to check you at regular visits for at least the first 12 weeks of treatment.
FDA pregnancy category C. Pristiq may be harmful to an unborn baby, and may cause problems in a newborn baby if the mother takes the medication late in pregnancy (during the third trimester). Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. Pristiq can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. Do not give this medication to anyone under 18 years old without the advice of a doctor.

pristiq.jpg

Tags: pristiq effexor antidepressant wyeth

Post A Reply 

Reviews

kittyfaye

Fri January 31, 2014 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: $180.00| Rating: 7 

PROS: Works well for a while
CONS: Bad withdrawals, increased appetite

I've been on Pristiq for almost three years now. I haven't had any problems with it except increased appetite. Withdrawals when I accidentally skip a dose are pretty bad. I'd get migraines and heart flutters. I think it's not really working right now but I might need to up my dose. The price is outrageous though, I get free samples from my doctor.

Click here to see this users profile Click here to Send this user a Private Message Find more posts by this user  

Aphrodites_Muse

Thu January 23, 2014 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: None indicated| Rating: 7 

PROS: reduced depression, increased appetite
CONS: headaches with missed doses

This has dramatically reduced my depression without inducing mania. I do get a pretty bad headache any day I miss a dose. Otherwise, this has dramatically helped me. First med that has. This one's a keeper for me.

Click here to see this users profile Click here to Send this user a Private Message Find more posts by this user  

misskrome

Mon January 20, 2014 Recommended? No | Total Spent: None indicated| Rating: 1 

PROS: NONE!
CONS: Nearly killed me

Week one I had the worst painful stiff neck. Couldn't turn head from side to side. Thought I would tough it out a little longer to see if the pain would go away. It did by week two. Did nothing for depression/anxiety. Made me even MORE obsessive, raging, aggressive, increased racing thoughts, made me feel like I was on fire, lowered my immune system to the point to where I had fever after fever and infection one after another during the entire 4 months I was on it. Drove me into insanity and ended with a mal seizure and yet another trip to the hospital, this time, the medical one, not mental.

326engr

Wed October 9, 2013 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: None indicated| Rating: 9 

PROS: No side effects
CONS: None

Works well for me. I never believed in antidepressants, but now I do.

IanJH

Tue July 23, 2013 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: None indicated| Rating: 7 

PROS: Pristiq works for me
CONS: I need 150mg per day for it to work

My Doctor started me on 50mg/day first, then 100mg/day but it wasn't until I was put on 150mg/per day that my moods stabilised & I felt I could cope. I also have to take it in the mornings as the few times I tried it at night I couldn't sleep. Overall this product is helping me with no side effects.

wadingthruemotions
Veteran Member

Mon May 6, 2013 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: $100.00| Rating: 9 

PROS: Works great
CONS:

This works great at 100MG daily for me for depression.I have not noticed any side effects.Price is off the charts but in my opinion worth it,

Hope.Floater

Sun April 14, 2013 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: None indicated| Rating: 7 

PROS: works for depression
CONS: withdrawl is hell

Medication worked for me other med's dont seem to work CAUTION strongly suggested when with drawing.

KeepingPace

Sat July 7, 2012 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: None indicated| Rating: 6 

PROS: I am still alive- , neglible side effect- I think
CONS: not overly effective , pretty pricey

I have been on almost every med for major depression- I'm not bi-polar, but I don't feel good most of the time. I have felt better but I have also felt worse so it is really a coin-toss sort of med.

Black Swan

Sat January 7, 2012 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: $5.60| Rating: 7 

PROS: it make me feel stable just after i take it, my anxiety has reduced by around 20%. and my depresison by 30%
CONS: when i stand up or sit up to fast i gets lots of dizzy spins, my balance isnt that good(altho it never has been), and if i miss a tablet i go haywire.

if i miss just one tablet, i have a very very very bad day it normally hits in the early afternoon, e.g. bad thoughts, i get over emotional, i cry alot, i feel like i do not know what is going on. physically i get nausea and dirareer, bad headaches to. HOWEVER, when i do not miss a tablet, my day is pretty good, i have more confidence and that enables me to go out into the community i still get anxiety around strangers and when i actual get there but i am able to get there . my depression is better i dont cry as much and i am more stable and not likely to breakdown/ i feel like i can sort of cope more with fighting my depression. i said in the cons part about my balance sometimes i loose balance standing on a flat surface, this has happened most of my life but unfortantly it has got a little worse now im on pristqi. also if just have to be careful how fast i get up/ stand up as i get dizzy spins and nausea if i do it to fast. (altho this could be the seroquel or endep i am also on, but they are taken of a night time and not a morning).

Are you suffering?

Fri July 15, 2011 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: $60.00| Rating: 8 

PROS: helps with the depression, stabalizes my mood
CONS: none

This anti-depresent has helped stablize my mood.

erin654

Sat May 21, 2011 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: None indicated| Rating: 7 

PROS: lessens depressive episodes
CONS: I get nauseus, lightheaded and hot if I miss a dose

I don't always get to pick up my refills from the clinic before I run out so missing doses makes me pretty sick. For the most part though, the medication does what it's supposed to.

Ygrec23
Bloviator-in-Chief

Sun June 20, 2010 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: None indicated| Rating: 10 

PROS: No side-effects; effective within a few days of starting
CONS: None

I know the above sounds ridiculously good, but I'm afraid it's true. Starting in 1993, I've tried every single SSRI and SNRI that came on the market. Some had side effects, some had none. Not one of them worked except Prozac, which pooped out after six weeks. I haven't the vaguest idea why Pristiq worked. I understand that Pristiq is a derivative of a drug that's been on the market for a while. I can't offhand remember its name, but I tried it too and it had no effect for me. Pristiq puts a floor down below which I cannot go in terms of depression. I used to think about s*****e absolutely ALL the time. Pristiq cut that by 95%. There are no emotional or mood side effects, just that floor. Doesn't make me sleepy or tired, doesn't make me "up" or jittery. Since we're all different, no one can promise it will work on you the way it's worked on me, but it's certainly worth a try.

Post A Review