Forum Reviews Index · Search · Register · Login 

Reviews Index » Books  
10409image.jpg

New Harbinger Publications The Scarred Soul: Understanding & Ending Self-Inflicted Violence
Reviews
spacer
Recommended By Average Price Average Rating
100% of reviewers $16.95 10.0
10409image.jpg

supersize

Description: Written by Tracy Alderman, Ph.D.
(Written review/synopsis found online)
Clinical psychologist Tracy Alderman takes a caring and compassionate look at why between one and two million people in the U.S. engage in acts of self-inflicted violence. She helps readers see that for some, SIV can be a means of breaking out of psychological numbness, while for others, physical pain is a way of focusing and controlling overwhelmingly chaotic feelings. The Scarred Soul is a step-by-step guide that helps victims of self-inflicted violence closely examine this behavior and take steps to reduce or eliminate it. This is the first book on the subject written for a general audience, the first to help educate those who have friends or relatives who are victims of self-inflicted violence, and the first to help victims understand they are not alone.
Keywords: self-injury tracy alderman
Administrator
Community Support Team

Author
Christina86
Administrator
Community Support Team

Review Date: Mon June 23, 2008 Would you recommend the product? Yes | Price you paid?: $16.95 | Rating: 10 

Pros: Good advice, easy to read, uses actual clinical cases/clients as examples, not preachy, knowledgeable
Cons: N/A

I really enjoyed this book. I've read a few books on the subject of self-injury, and this is one of the better ones. Although turned off by the term "self-inflicted violence" I found this book to be immensely helpful.
Click here to see this users profile Click here to Send this user a Private Message Find more posts by this user