spacerspacer
Pricing
spacerspacer
Average Price: $47.50 Thumbs up Recommended By
67% of reviewers (of 3 reviews)
   Post A Reply 

Daytrana
(methylphenidate)

Daytrana is a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant prescription medicine. Daytrana is a skin patch that releases the medication contained in the adhesive (glue) through clean and intact skin areas into the bloodstream when applied to the skin on the hips. It is used for the treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Daytrana may help increase attention and decrease impulsiveness and hyperactivity in patients with ADHD.
Daytrana should be used as a part of a total treatment program for ADHD that may include counseling or other therapies.

• Medical studies have shown that Daytrana can provide significant improvement of inattention and hyperactive/impulsive symptoms of ADHD.
  • Classroom studies of children with ADHD showed that children taking Daytrana not only tried more math problems, but also completed more math problems correctly than those taking placebo.
  • In clinical studies, side effects were generally mild to moderate.
  • Slower growth (weight gain and/or height) has been reported in children taking methylphenidate over long periods of time. Your doctor will monitor your child's growth/weight gain while taking Daytrana, and may re-revaluate his or her treatment if necessary.
  • Daytrana is applied to the hip area each morning. When worn as directed, the patch provides medicine continuously throughout your child's waking day as long as he or she has it on.
  • It’s recommended that the patch be worn for 9 hours; its effects continue for 3 hours after it’s removed. The Daytrana patch may be taken off sooner to help manage the potential for late-day side effects.
  • Daytrana is clear, flexible and discreet. Daytrana may be a good fit for children who don't like taking pills every morning.
  • Daytrana is designed to provide daylong adhesion during activities such as swimming, exercising and bathing.
  • Clinical studies showed that most children were not bothered wearing the patch. Accompanying the benefits of this medication are the associated risks such as side effects and skin irritation; therefore, it is important that you read the Important Safety Information before beginning treatment.

What is the most important information I should know about Daytrana?

Daytrana is a stimulant medicine. The following have been reported with use of Daytrana (methylphenidate transdermal system) or other stimulant medicines:
1. Heart-related problems:
  • sudden death in patients who have heart problems or heart defects
  • stroke and heart attack in adults
  • increased blood pressure and heart rate

Tell your doctor if you or your child has any heart problems, heart defects, high blood pressure, or a family history of these problems. Your doctor should check you or your child carefully for heart problems before starting Daytrana.
Your doctor should check your or your child’s blood pressure and heart rate regularly during treatment with Daytrana.
Remove patch immediately and call your doctor right away if you or your child has any signs of heart problems such as chest pain, shortness of breath, or fainting while using Daytrana.
2. Mental (Psychiatric) problems:
All Patients:
  • new or worse behavior and thought problems
  • new or worse bipolar illness
  • new or worse aggressive behavior or hostility

Children and Teenagers
  • new psychotic symptoms (such as hearing voices, believing things that are not true, are suspicious) or new manic symptoms

Tell your doctor about any mental problems you or your child has, or about a family history of suicide, bipolar illness, or depression. Call your doctor right away if you or your child has any new or worsening mental symptoms or problems while using Daytrana, especially seeing or hearing things that t are not real, believing things that are not real, or are suspicious.

What are possible side effects of Daytrana?

Skin reactions including skin irritation and allergic skin rash can happen with Daytrana. Skin redness or itching at the application site is common.
You can keep using Daytrana if this happens. Stop using Daytrana and see your doctor right away if swelling, bumps, or blisters happen at or around the application site. You may have a skin allergy to Daytrana.
People that have skin allergies with Daytrana may develop an allergy to all medicines that contain methylphenidate, even those taken by mouth.
See “What is the most important information I should know about Daytrana” for information on reported heart and mental problems.
Other serious side effects include:
  • slowing of growth (height and weight) in children
  • seizures, mainly in patients with a history of seizures
  • eyesight changes or blurred vision

Common side effects include:
  • nausea
  • trouble sleeping
  • decreased appetite
  • tics
  • vomiting
  • mood swings
  • decreased weight

Talk to your doctor if you or your child has side effects that are bothersome or do not go away.
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.

How should I store Daytrana?

Store Daytrana in a safe place at room temperature, 59 to 86° F (15 to 30° C). Keep Daytrana patches in their unopened pouches until ready to use.
Once a tray of patches has been opened, use or discard the patches within 2 months. Keep Daytrana and all medicines out of the reach of children.

General information about Daytrana

Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in a Medication Guide. Do not use Daytrana for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give Daytrana to other people, even if they have the same condition. It may harm them and it is against the law.
This Medication Guide summarizes the most important information about Daytrana. If you would like more information, talk with your doctor. You can ask your doctor or pharmacist for information about Daytrana that was written for healthcare professionals.

Tags: daytrana adhd patch

Post A Reply 

Reviews

mama2three
Newly Joined

Fri October 2, 2009 Recommended? No | Total Spent: $45.00| Rating: 4 

PROS: drop off is gradual
CONS: son allergic to adhesive which caused sores/rashes

My son was using this patch for nine months. He had a square mark on his body where the patch was placed for a week after the patch was removed. Then, they would scab over. When MD saw the results he said son could absolutely not use the patch.

Click here to see this users profile Click here to Send this user a Private Message Find more posts by this user  

sunshinesqrrl

Fri April 4, 2008 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: None indicated| Rating: 6 

PROS: Lessened Anxiety
CONS: weight gain, irrational thinking

VERY IMPORTANT: Only take this drug if you DEFINATELY have bi polar disorder. Otherwise you become a robot with distorted thoughts

Click here to see this users profile Click here to Send this user a Private Message Find more posts by this user  

LuLu80

Sat November 10, 2007 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: $50.00| Rating: 10 

PROS: Increased energy during the day
CONS: Mild skin irritation under patch

I'm diagnosed with a severe case of Hypersomnia. Daytrana was a life-saver for me. It kept me awake and alert all day long. Unfortunately my insurance changed and now its no longer covered. My doctor is trying me on other stimulants but nothing works like Daytrana. I wore it on my hip so no one could see it; only down-side was that the patches would cause mild skin irritation and the sticky stuff was hard to get off. But overall, execellent med.

Post A Review