(Out of 5 Stars)
Side Effects
spacerspacer
Pricing
spacerspacer
Average Price: $405.83 Thumbs up Recommended By
78% of reviewers (of 9 reviews)
   Post A Reply 

This is an MAOI which is like Nardil or Parnate. It is a patch that if used at a low dosage, you don't have as many restrictions.
I wanted to know if anyone has used this and if it helped.

Tags: Antidepressant, Patch

Post A Reply 

Reviews

lifestruggles

Sat November 1, 2014 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: $35.00| Rating: 9 

PROS: Makes me happy and delightful!
CONS: insomnia

This has been the miracle drug for my depression. It doesn't just make me numb or flat like the other antidepressants. It makes me truly happy.

Click here to see this users profile Click here to Send this user a Private Message Find more posts by this user  

Anneinside
Poohbah

Sun June 3, 2012 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: $700.00| Rating: 9 

PROS: minimal side effects
CONS: itchy redness in application site. Have to be on a strict diet.

I have been taking it for about 10 months. It seems to be working. I have gotten used to the restrictive diet and it doesn't bother me anymore except that I miss soy sauce on rice.

Click here to see this users profile Click here to Send this user a Private Message Find more posts by this user  

oldlaserhead

Thu October 20, 2011 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: None indicated| Rating: 10 

PROS: exactly what I needed; no diet restrictions at lowest dose
CONS: tough on skin

I have bipolar disorder, for which I'm also taking lithium, and ADD. I can't tolerate stimulants, so my psychiatrist hoped this would help. I had some depression that the lithium wasn't getting to anyway, and I wasn't keen to raise that dosage. Emsam didn't do much for the ADD, but before I started on it I was getting hypomanic and anxious, and it calmed me down almost immediately. Now I can be anxious and also feel other things at the same time. I'm getting a lot more writing done, just because I'm not totally crashing at the first sign of discouragement. No side effects for me, except that taking the patch off hurts. My skin does heal before I need to put it back in the same spot, though.

Anneinside
Poohbah

Fri August 12, 2011 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: $700.00| Rating: 8 

PROS: ease of use
CONS: having a restrictive diet

I have been on Emsam for 2 weeks with no side effects. The first week I was on 6mg and no diet restrictions. Since then I have been on 9mg and have to observe the diet. I am surprised how much of the restricted foods I have eaten prior to the diet.... no asiago cheese bagels at Panera,...no oriental buffet... no potato salad because of the pickles... no, no, no....

glindanorth
Newly Joined

Fri August 14, 2009 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: $100.00| Rating: 8 

PROS: It works very well
CONS: anxiety, insomnia, patches slide off in summer

I tried many ADs over the years with few good results. After failing at tri-cyclics and having a near-catastrophe with SSRIs, my doctor put me on EMSAM less than six weeks after it became available. I have tolerated it well and it finally lifted my chronic depression. However, EMSAM is slooow to start working. It was almost six weeks before it had any effect. My dosage has been increased twice. I have not made any dietary changes except to limit (not eliminate) red wine. I have found that forgetting a patch for a day doesn't hur me or make me sick in any way. I must take something to help with sleep, though, or I could stay up indefinitely. This is new since EMSAM was added to my medication lineup.

Anonymous
Tue April 22, 2008 Recommended? No | Total Spent: None indicated| Rating: 1 

PROS: None.
CONS: I went into a mixed state. Extreme paranoia, agitation, anger and anxiety.

I believe that it could be helpful. But not for anyone with bipolar disorder.

Ichagod
Newly Joined

Thu January 3, 2008 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: $500.00| Rating: 10 

PROS: Very effective, rapid treatment. Use 9mg dose w/o unacceptable side effects
CONS: Cost would be an issue w/o insurance. Otherwise, it has come through for 14+ months in medication-resistant depression

In reviewing,I must use a comparison. I also take Topamax 600mg/day. Topamax also has excellent effectiveness for me. Its side effect are far MORE than the EmSam Patch; however, like EmSam, the BENEFITS FAR OUTWEIGH THE DRAWBACKS!As for the price, although EmSam is $500/month w/o insurance, Topamx is $1,200/month w/o insurance! So, everything is relative. If you need it, and find that it is the right medication for you, then you work around these things and are grateful for what you have. I'm 46 and there was a time when there were no effective medications for migraines and depression that worked for me. Miserable!

sunnyday

Thu August 16, 2007 Recommended? No | Total Spent: $400.00| Rating: 1 

PROS: none
CONS: high blood pressure, fast heart rate, swelling, severe headache on lowest dose.

Too many side effects.... Way too expensive.... Prescribed when your doc doesn't know what else to give you!

Adri
Newly Joined

Mon August 13, 2007 Recommended? Yes | Total Spent: None indicated| Rating: 8 

PROS: Works rapidly
CONS: packaging is tricky

After wearing the patch for about five days, my depression was significantly better. I've had five days in a row without symptoms of depressions. I had been severely depressed for about two months when it was prescribed to me. I was amazed at how quickly it worked. According to online sources, the price per month for all dosages of EMSAM were about $435.00 per month, if you don't have insurance, it's extremely expensive. If I didn't have insurance, I wouldn't be on it now. Ask for samples if this is prescribed to you. I have not experienced any side effects at all with EMSAM.

Post A Review