Forum Reviews Index · Search · Register · Login 

Reviews Index » Books  

Search For The Real Self : Unmasking The Personality Disorders Of Our Age
Reviews
spacer
Recommended By Average Price Average Rating
100% of reviewers None indicated 8.0

Description: Discussion of Personality Disorders and treatment thereof.
Keywords: personality disorders, depression, borderline
Grand Poohbah

Author
WinterRose
Grand Poohbah

Review Date: Thu February 22, 2007 Would you recommend the product? Yes | Price you paid?: None indicated | Rating: 8 

Pros: thorough, descriptive, hopeful, positive
Cons: a little technical in language

Great Book. Really helped me understand myself and gave me an understanding of therapy. Some quotes for the book to help you get a feel for it:"When one is brought low enough repeatedly, or for an extended period of time, it becomes increasingly harder to imagine oneself happy again or able to push through life with the strength and confidence with which the reasonably healthy go about their daily living." Pg. 62"… [Intensive analytic psychotherapy’s] primary goal is to remove the defenses against the abandonment depression and to reactivate the real self in order to bring on the abandonment depression in full force for the purpose of working it through in the close therapeutic relationship. … As the patient goes back deeper and deeper, the abandonment depression occurs, with all six psychic horsemen." Pg. 136 "Abandonment depression is actually an umbrella term beneath which ride the six Horsemen of the Psychic Apocalypse: Depression, Panic, Rage, Guilt, Helplessness (hopelessness), and Emptiness (void)." Pg. 61"If antidepressants are given to a patient working through the abandonment depression, the depression may disappear, along with the patient's motive for working through it." Pg. 206
Click here to see this users profile Click here to Send this user a Private Message Find more posts by this user