Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Relationships & Communication

advertisement
Unread 01-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
Account Suspended
noirkitten has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Unhappy why are people so shallow these days

im talking about relationship wise, you know bf/gf. it seems like all guys care about these days is how hot you look. sometimes girls do too. what the hell happended to the whole ''it's what's on the inside that matters'' did people just completely ignore that. i always read in seventeen magzine that guys like what you think is ugly, but dating message boreds and yahoo answers tells a very diffraint story. i try not too think about this thing too much, or less i actully start to cry and just feel utterly worthless and ugly. i cant ****ing stand it! sure, i like hot guys, but when it all boils down too it, i just want someone to love me for what and who i am, regardless of what he may look like. a lot of people just dont seem too feel that way. why cant people just look on the inside for once

Last edited by Christina86; 01-06-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: going around swear filter, edit to bring back in line with guidelines
noirkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 01-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #2

Kendyll has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
39 hugs
given
Default Re: why are people so shallow these days

'Cause people can't see what's inside.
I spent a lot of time and energy trying to be pretty and hot and exciting and everything I thought guys wanted. It just didn't work out. I eventually started having better relationships when I "gave up" on being someone I wasn't and concentrated on becoming a better "me" instead. The more I took care of myself, the better people I ended up meeting. Eventually, I DID find someone who really does love me for being myself. It's pretty awesome - but it took time and patience.
Unread 01-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
Skeleton Queen
Chat Leader

Skully is very strange......

My Mood:

3 yr Member
67 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Because the world is full of media portraying these buff bods on both women and men. So young people feel the pressure to look like the models and everything becomes superficial. I have dated a few guys with the bodies of gods...but there was nothing to them. They were all about their looks. So needless to say they were dropped quickly. It really is a shame because there are plenty of women and men who are wonderful people that have a few extra pounds but they will never get to share how wonderful they are with another person beacuse everyone is so shallow.
(Dr. Seuss)
Skully is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Poohbah

Yesterdays is completely alone.

My Mood:

3 yr Member

I think that too often we have our minds set that there's an actual definition to what beautiful or attractive is. The media only highlights on that fact. It selects certain people they feel meet the criteria for beautiful. But the thing is that beautiful doesn't always look a certain way. Not all guys have the same taste. Sure, there are some shallow guys. But I refuse to lose hope that there are some guys who will love you for you, and not what you look like. Beautiful has a different definition to everyone, and considering how many guys there are in the world, there is going to be at least one that finds you stunning. Also remember that confidence is what is truly beautiful. If you see your own beauty, it will be that much easier for other people to see it too.

Let the shadow prove
The sunshine.

Yesterdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
Magnate

salukigirl had my first fellowship offer....time to reel 'em in!

5 yr Member
2 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

How old are you? All that stuff stopped when I was like 19 or 20. I never wear make up or dressy clothes. because, personally, the guys who are going to hit on me only when I have make up on....I don't want them anyways. I want the guy who thinks I'm hot when I'm not trying. My current boyfriend talked to me instead of all my friends who had on short skirts and a ton of make up. He comments all the time how girls are so much more attractive without all that stuff. That's the kind of guy I want.

Plus, no matter how hot someone is, if they have an ugly personality, they're ugly to me. Every time I see a guy in a souped up car and a vanity plate....he is automatically ugly to me. And all that does is show a person's maturity level. There are good guys and good women out there. Just gotta look a little harder.
salukigirl is offline   Reply With Quote