Your Host
Chat Leader

DocJohn is doing a-okay

My Mood:

10 yr Member
103 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Do you feel overwhelmed by technology?

Every year, our reliance on technology appears to expand. As we move from regular old telephones to IP-based telephones (or cell phones); from hulking desktops to slim laptops or palm devices; from our receiving one or two emails a day from friends or family to receiving a hundred or more from spammers; from TV to HDTV; from never being 'connected' while going out to not getting away from people who are 'connected' while even camping in the remote wilderness; etc. etc.

People now spend more time in front of a technology device than they they have ever done in the past. A recent study, for instance, showed that for some people, the Internet appears to be taking away some time from both the TV and socializing with others face-to-face.

Is technology getting a little out of control? Do people feel a little overwhelmed by the amount of technology in our lives?? Of having to 'check in' every few hours to see if you have any new email or PMs?

Or is all this technology kind of a good thing, in that it's allowed us to be more connected to like-minded others whom we would've never met if it weren't for technology?

What's your take on this, do you have too much technology in your life, just enough, or not enough? Does it ever feel overwhelming and if it does, do you do anything specific to try and feel less overwhelmed by it?

DocJohn

World of Psychology

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

DocJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
Legendary

kimmydawn has no updates.

My Mood:

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Do you feel overwhelmed by technology?

docjohn,

what a good question! i had to think on this one a bit, and this is what i've come up with...

yes, i sometimes feel overwhelmed. however, i'm glad for the technology that allows me to keep a phone with me and my family members. this world has always been crazy, but i think it's getting crazier inasmuch as mean ppls acting out on other ppl. therefore, i like having a phone, but i especially like for my daughter to have a phone.

as far as my computer. omg, i don't know what i did before it! it's saved me money from anything to postage to having film developed! it's paid for itself already.

also, i am in a rural area. i'm blessed to be able to see a wonderful, talented and caring t. however, there is no opportunity for groups, etc. for ppl with my same dx. in fact, i don't know if my CMH treats any other DID'ers. i felt so absolutely isolated...until HP and now Psychcentral (my mental help home). it's helped me not to feel so alienated, alone and detached. i can check myself and thoughts with ppl online and get quick feedback, so i feel better about self.

i just don't know what i would do without today's technology. i can say, i'm much much better at this point than i was before the phones, computers, etc.

that's my story and i'm sticking to it

kd
Unread 02-07-2005, 01:30 PM   #3

Poppet has no updates.

8 yr Member

I am so thankful for the computer ( my only step into technology apart from a digital camera ) . I get pride from achieving stuff and daring to press or click and seeing I did it right !
Good side - I will never get bored, can find out so much, and also get the valuable support of ppl on the forum. It is so amazing I can't comprehend it sometimes.
Negative side - I feel guilty when I use it, there is toooo much interesting stuff I feel I will never look at it all, but the positive outweighs the negative !
Can any of you believe I have never had a mobile phone ? I don't know anyone who hasn't got one apart from me !
Poppet
Poppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
Magnate

inkblot Check me out! http://about.me/padschicago

My Mood:

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Oh, I love this question, DocJohn! I don't have enough technology! I have my cell phone which I use more for text messaging and chat (AIM, Yahoo or MSN Messenger) or for going online to check email and surf wap/wml sites, maybe look up a zip code or other information, directions, whatever. My phone is my life! I'm serious, I may go into withdrawal or have a seizure or something without it--certainly panic. One thing that I would love to have is a Palm Pilot or similar device again. I used to have one and used it mostly for a mobile reference--downloaded medical info tools that were awesome, and more! I really miss having that! Someday, I will have it again. Oh, I could use a new laptop, too--something more in-date would be nice. I think the only drawback to technology--though humorous--is that people think it takes "forever" when you have to wait more than 10-30 seconds to microwave something. We tend to like things [b] [color:red] NOW! [/color] [b]
Unread 02-07-2005, 02:38 PM   #5
Magnate

inkblot Check me out! http://about.me/padschicago

My Mood:

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!

OMG, Are you kidding?! How do you do it?!?! Okay, but sooner or later you will join us. You are definitly in the minority right now.
Unread 02-07-2005, 02:41 PM   #6
Legendary

Junerain sees beauty in the world

My Mood:

10 yr Member
355 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I feel most ..'me..' when im either watching a movie, surfing the net, reading about movies, or anything technology..couldnt imagine my life without it.
Unread 02-07-2005, 05:45 PM   #7
Grand Member

TheCheshireCat has no updates.

8 yr Member

I feel most comfortable on weekends when I get the opportunity to get "off the grid" (no TV, radio, Internet, cell phone, etc.) for at least a few hours. I refuse to even wear a wristwatch. I need to get away from the riptide of electronic media and communications devices surrounding me and strapped to my body, and simply be unreachable. In the summer, I head to the big bronze statue of Alice atop a giant mushroom near Conservatory Water in Central Park, flop down and read a book or just look at the sky. Granted, something like Psych Central has proven to be hugely helpful, but being around high-tech too much leaves me agitated and irritable. I usually take along a legal pad and a pencil to jot down any phrases or things I see that seep into my consciousness. It's a nice break, and one I miss a great deal during these winter months. Cheshire Cat
Unread 02-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #8
Magnate
vacantangel has no updates.

8 yr Member

I'm very technology challenged. Obviously, I have a computer or I wouldn't be on this site and I'm actually *very* addicted to my computer. I won't embarrass myself to admit to how much time I actually spend on it a day though. But should something go wrong with it, YIKES!!! I am not computer literate so I have to ask somebody else to help with just about everything, although I am learning a *little*. I don't have a cell phone and I'm probably the only person who doesn't. I've never had one and don't see the need for one either unless I was driving alone somewhere and it could come in handy for emergencies. I don't understand why anything is so important that you can't wait til you get home to get in touch with people. The number of kids with cell phones amazes me, and they're getting younger and younger. Other than my computer, I need the basics of TV, stereo and microwave, anything else, is wasted on me and I wouldn't have a clue how to use them. I think technology is good up to a point but sometimes I think life wouldn't be so hectic if we could go back to simpler times when all we had was a radio and TV. BUT, don't go taking my computer away from me or I might just have a panic attack!!!
vacantangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2005, 12:27 PM   #9
Grand Poohbah

h0kie has no updates.

My Mood:

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I LOVE technology! I enjoy learning new things. Since I was little I was the only one who could program the VCR. lol I love my computer. If I were rich...Best Buy would have to look out because I would be on a spending spree there!

Hopefully I will be able to get a digital camera next and then a new desktop computer. It's difficult loving technology while you're poor. But I enjoy living vicariously through others (usually that involves showing them how to use their technology).

Karma is a boomerang.

Trying to read 52 books in 52 weeks. See how I'm doing
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #10
Grand Magnate

jbug glad to be alive

My Mood:

10 yr Member
14 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I long for the day I have my own computer...maybe 2 more months until then I have to come out to the 'rents to use theirs. As for my T.V. when the cable hiccups I panic. I am practically glued to my T.V. or a T.V. 24/7 I wake up to it and fall asleep to it. I just got digital cable so I now get about 150 channels which I love a movie at just the touch of a remote. Now if I could remember what all the buttons on my remote did I'd be an even happier camper.

Janniebug