Your Host
Chat Leader

DocJohn is doing a-okay

My Mood:

10 yr Member
95 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Who is the one person who has had the largest positive influence in your life?

Who is the one person who has had the largest positive influence in your life? Why??

Have you ever let that person know how much they mean to you? Why or why not??

I know, I know, it's hard to sometimes boil it down to only one person, but try your best. Only positive influences for this thread!!

DocJohn

World of Psychology

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

DocJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2004, 07:07 PM   #2
Grand Magnate

PlanningtoLive very depressed

My Mood:

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Who is the one person who has had the largest positive influence in your lif

I would have to say my former T. He made me understand myself better, why I do things. He helped me analyze the triggers in my life.

Yes, my T knew what he meant to me. I always wanted him to know how much I appreciated him and liked him.
PlanningtoLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2004, 12:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

angel04 has no updates.

10 yr Member
Default Re: Who is the one person who has had the largest positive influence in your life?

My maternal grandmother and I tell her how much she means to me as often as I can. I never say goodbye without saying I love you to her. She is supportive, understanding and THE most wonderful person in the world. I love her to bits and I will never stop telling her so.

If I had to pick a number 2, it would be our own sweet Greg. I wouldn't be alive today and enjoying my life so much if it weren't for him. How do you repay someone for that??
Unread 11-06-2004, 09:56 AM   #4
Stars has no updates.

10 yr Member
Default Re: Who is the one person who has had the largest positive influence in your life?

I'd have to answer me!

I had the largest positive influence on me! No therapist, no friend, no family member could change me or get me out of the depression. I did that for me myself. I made the positive changes in my life, and will continue to make positive changes in the future!

Stars x
Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2004, 12:59 AM   #5
Legendary Wise Elder

(JD) holds a PhD but is medically retired from practice.

My Mood:

10 yr Member
854 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

While there were a few teachers who had my attention and the opportunity to do so, only one said something profound once...

I have to select my current psychologist. He has had to not only know the way, but show me the way, and counter the previous psychologist's erred ways to boot! He is a model of what someone needs to be like with regards to patience, perspective, caring, and confidence. He has to rebuke the adults' in my life misguided attitudes, and fortify me for when the pain flares take me out... He has shown me good boundaries, how to make them, and keep them, and that it is perfectly ok to have them. He has helped me delineate what is my problem and what is someone elses'. And he's there when I forget all of the above to remind me.

Job 6:14 (NASB)
“For the despairing man there should be kindness from his friend;
So that he does not forsake the fear of the Almighty.
(JD) is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2004, 10:53 PM   #6
Peanuts has no updates.

My Mood:

10 yr Member

My husband is the one person who has had the biggest positive influence in my life. He is my best friend and loves me just because I'm me. He is patient and easy going.

I don't tell him how much he means to me often enough. I think because sometimes life gets so complicated and busy that before I know it the entire day has gone by.. and then the entire week .. I think that I get too wrapped up in all the busy day to day living.

Your question has made me think about how often I don't take the time to tell my husband how much he means to me. I think I'll fix that right now .. thanks for posing the question.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2004, 08:33 AM   #7

cocoa has no updates.

10 yr Member

Well I want to say my mom but even though she is great its not her.
My fience who died in a car accident we had in 1998. He was a giving caring loving person. I'm not sure why he was with me because I wasn't the greatest person back then.

Its funny though, when he died, its like all the good he had in him finally hit home. In his death , he changed who I am today. I truely feel as if a huge part of him lives inside of me. I only wish I could tell him in person the change he has made in my life. In a sence he saved me and for that I am eternaly greatful.

Jacqui
cocoa is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-08-2004, 05:06 PM   #8

Kayleigh has no updates.

8 yr Member

My mom. I hardly ever tell her, (meaning, never) we're not a real emotional family. She's the only one who's always been there for me. That's why I can't pick my b/f... I've not been with him long enough, give it some time, though..........
Kayleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2004, 09:05 PM   #9

bethannaTN has no updates.

8 yr Member

My Dad, hands down, no thinking about it. He saved my life when I was young, just by believing in me. He taught me things about myself in such a gentle loving accepting way. He was very patient with me, and was full of wisdom. I used most of his parenting techniques in raising my own three.

I have told him numerous times how much he means to me. Recently I was able to write him a very long letter to describe to him what he meant to me growing up, and what he means to me now. I did so because I love him, and I didn't want him to doubt that ever for a minute. He lives in the same negative environment I grew up in, and sometimes his self esteem gets pretty worn by it. It is always good to give back to him what he so unselfishly gave to me.
bethannaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2004, 04:03 PM   #10
Grand Magnate
Managing Editor, PC

lenjan has no updates.

My Mood:

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Who is the one person who has had the largest positive influence in your lif

I have to pick a bunch, but I guess they make one collective group -- my mental health professionals over the years. The first one gave me all the attention I needed and never got. The second believed in me no matter what and was very helpful with the day-to-day issues of being depressed. The pdoc I've had for the last 6 years I tease for being a Pollyanna -- there can be 14 pitch-black rainclouds overhead, and he'll find the one ray of sunlight -- but he has always pointed out the positive when I thought there was only negative, and cheered on my progress. Even when I don't think I'm making any, we've been together long enough that he can remember back to where I was when I started and prove to me that I have indeed come a long way.

My current T I simply wouldn't be here without. He's good at pointing out the positive things about me that I discount as not being good enough. He makes me laugh, but is the most comforting person on earth when he makes me cry. Even his voice changes -- it feels like a warm hug. He offered himself 24/7 last winter throughout my actively suicidal phase, made time for extra appointments, if it was 3 a.m. and I was feeling in imminent danger, he let me call. He's always gone well beyond the call of duty for me. Knowing that he genuinely cares so much is very healing in itself.

All these people have contributed to keeping me on the planet when a lot of the time I'm not interested in that, so I have to give them the most credit as positive influences.

Candy

lenjan is offline   Reply With Quote