Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychotherapy

advertisement
Unread 03-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #11
Grand Magnate

deliquesce has no updates.

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: BPD VS. Complex PTSD

thanks exotic, but i think the BPD i was referring to (and scared of!) was borderline personality disorder. i already have a variant of bipolar disorder, but that seems to be under control (the mania side, anyway). acronyms always get me confused, *especially* when BPD is used for both borderline and bipolar. gah.

impy - no! definitely DO NOT want bordeline! want nothing to do with it, in fact. am scared to tell new health care providers about past self injury, in case they interpret it as a bordeline trait. my one big fear in therapy is that i will be 'caught out' as having the disorder. my anxiety to avoid the label borders on the pathological, i know. i have reasons for not wanting to identify that way, even though i know that most of them aren't valid. but hell, i can be stubborn and believe in things that are illogical . so yeah - the idea that C-PTSD somehow encompasses a BPD diagnosis scares the **** out of me. pdoc delivers bad news to me all the time, but certainly if he could avoid it he would - and if C-PTSD captures BPD, then he could avoid it easily by delivering the more palateable diagnosis, surely?

eta: thank you exotic for that link. will do some reading now .
deliquesce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 12:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

coconut64 Dancing the night away

My Mood:

5 yr Member
10 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have C-PTSD too. From what I read before this new diagnoses was created, some people with trauma were diagnosed as having BPD. That was the old days, now they know better.
Unread 03-31-2009, 02:21 AM   #13
Grand Member

kim_johnson has no updates.

5 yr Member

some theorists maintain that borderline personality disorder is a kind of post-traumatic stress disorder. dx categories are fairly arbitrary (within limits), depends on the theoretical preferences of your clinician to a rather large extent.
kim_johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 06:39 AM   #14
- - -
sittingatwatersedge is focusing on counting her blessings.

5 yr Member
1,412 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

admitting of course that this whole science is vast and complex, this is something that I ran across in one of the trauma dot org's

BPD is classified as a personality disorder;
CPTSD, on the other hand, is psychological injury; something happened.

Both can exist in the same person.

Please know that I don't mean to oversimplify or minimize either - not at all. I am trying to understand my own cptsd.
sittingatwatersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-31-2009, 07:30 AM   #15
Community Support Team

splitimage Doing intesive therapy - My brain hurts.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
5 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have CPTSD. I also have some traights that would make me a candidate for a borderline dx - namely a history of cutting. But for me the CPTSD dx makes a lot more sense, namely the hper vigilance, heightened arousal / startle response, lack of memory, dissociation etc.

When I first started reading up on psych disorders I related to a lot of borderline dx traits and personally found some of the books aimed at borderline to be personally very helpful. I especially liked "Lost in the Mirror."

Now that I understand more about the different dx and have had more conversations with my pdoc and T, I do see that CPTSD fits better and it helps me understand myslef better. Now I spit nails at anyone who tries to label me borderline. I had one pdoc (temporary) try to dx me as borderline, simply because I used to cut. When I told my regular pdoc about it, she was really pissed and got my psych records ammended to say she disagreed.

It's not so much that one dx is worse than another - borderline used to be viewed as untreatable and borderlien patients were sometimes seen as problem patients. But with DBT now there are effective treatment strategies for Borderline, just as there are effective treatment strategies for CPTSD.

They're both complicated Dx & a little hard to get your head around, but in the end their just verbal shorthand for professionals to describe a cluster of symptoms.

---splitimage

"I danced in the morning when the world was begun. I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun". From my favorite hymn.

Please visit my recovery blog: http://www.backfromthesidelines.com
You can now subscribe to my blog and get automatic updates whenever I write a new post - approximately once a week. Just go to the site, and enter your email address, in the box on the bottom right hand side of the main page.
splitimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 07:38 AM   #16
Grand Magnate

deliquesce has no updates.

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingatwatersedge View Post
admitting of course that this whole science is vast and complex, this is something that I ran across in one of the trauma dot org's

BPD is classified as a personality disorder;
CPTSD, on the other hand, is psychological injury; something happened.

Both can exist in the same person.

Please know that I don't mean to oversimplify or minimize either - not at all. I am trying to understand my own cptsd.
this is really helpful, sawe. thank you for sharing.
deliquesce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 07:54 AM   #17
Legendary

pachyderm still the original model.

5 yr Member
1,738 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

You think borderline personality disorder just exists, without having had something happen to the person to cause it? I mean, that seems to me just a way to put someone down, not having to understand what caused it, but putting them in the category of a leper. (And we all know that leprosy cannot be understood which at one time was true.)

My mother had traits of borderline personality disorder (my diagnosis) but I can bet it was as a result of her own childhood, not just something that she created in order to make my life miserable.
Thou might'st him yet recover
-- Michael Drayton 1562 - 1631
pachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-31-2009, 07:58 AM   #18
Magnate

Mouse_ has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachyderm View Post
You think borderline personality disorder just exists, without having had something happen to the person to cause it? I mean, that seems to me just a way to put someone down, not having to understand what caused it, but putting them in the category of a leper. (And we all know that leprosy cannot be understood which at one time was true.)

My mother had traits of borderline personality disorder (my diagnosis) but I can bet it was as a result of her own childhood, not just something that she created in order to make my life miserable.

I agree. .
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:27 AM   #19
- - -
sittingatwatersedge is focusing on counting her blessings.

5 yr Member
1,412 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachyderm View Post

wow, Pachy, I never said anthing REMOTELY like that. I was just saying what I had seen at one of the trauma dot org sites, that seemed helpful to me - there is a relationship between the two, they are not the same though.
I specifically said I was not trying to oversimplify or minimize anything. I never meant to hurt anyone!! I apologize deeply.
Going back to lurkdom now, where I obviously belong.
sittingatwatersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 09:19 AM   #20
Legendary

rainbow8 is feeling that my relationship with my T is "good enough"

My Mood:

5 yr Member
5,461 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

The negative comments about BPD both surprise and upset me very much. I'm used to posting on a recovery board for BPD, and I didn't realize there was still so much of a stigma about having this dx. BPD is not a "death sentence" at all. Besides CBT, there is a treatment known as DBT which helps many overcome the disorder.

There are hundreds of variations of BPD, and many people do not exhibit the traits that have been sensationalized such as cutting, abusive behavior, and unstable relationships. I have a diagnosis of BPD and I never cut, nor was I promiscuous or a shoplifter or any other of those publicized traits. I was definitely not resistant to therapy! I do not come from an abusive or unstable family, either.

BPD is the abbreviation for borderline personality disorder; BP is the one for bipolar, though I can see how they can be confused.

Deli, I don't understand why you are so afraid of having that dx. Like others have said, it's just a dx and doesn't mean much by itself. What's important is that we each get the treatment that helps us the most, no matter what our dx is. I was always told "you're not your diagnosis, you're YOU."

Peaches, I don't know if the term is used here, but I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I don't know much about Complex PTSD. I'd suggest discussing the differences between it and BPD with your T if you're confused. But remember, you are NOT your diagnosis.
rainbow8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from: