Forums at Psych Central

Forums at Psych Central (http://forums.psychcentral.com/)
-   Psychotherapy (http://forums.psychcentral.com/psychotherapy/)
-   -   scholarships for mentally ill (http://forums.psychcentral.com/psychotherapy/6942-scholarships-mentally-ill.html)

todd 11-07-2004 05:27 PM

scholarships for mentally ill

does anyone know of any scholarship to help people treated for mental illness go to college?

(JD) 11-07-2004 05:54 PM

Re: scholarships for mentally ill

Todd, I'm not sure even the ADA would allow such a thing... as it places such a stigma upon us, and would set us apart from the rest!

I think I understand what you mean, though... and you should contact the counselor at the college you wish to attend, and inquire about assistance and mention disability. (You don't have to specify at that point what kind of disability you have.)

Taonuviel 11-07-2004 06:43 PM

I searched for it, but only found one, which didn't seem to think ol' depression was bad enough, had to be either bi-polar or schizophrenic or something. Geeze. I'd think there'd be more out there, mental illness sure makes it hard trying to go to school at all, let alone pay for it.

(JD) 11-07-2004 07:44 PM

It has to be listed under disability... my brain isn't thinking.... ok maybe it's just a check off spot on regular scholarship applications... like you qualify on other basis (not "just" because you are "depressed")... but maybe quotas would help decide for them to pick a disabled person over an equally qualified applicant?

Why do you think you need this kind of help? Perhaps you can qualify for help from other sources? Have you spoken personally to your local counselor (school, junior college) and researched that person's suggestions? What about a grant from the government, they are usually available to anyone within a few parameters?

eskielover 11-08-2004 12:26 AM

Just FYI, once you get into college, the Disabled Students Services will help you get the studying & test taking conditions that will help you keep the required GPA. As depressed people, we are entitled consideration given to any disabled students (& you don't have to be on disability)

todd 11-08-2004 03:56 AM

i am afraid if i let the college know about my mental disability they might try kick me out of college.weird that certain physical illness or abnormalities you can get some sort financial aid but hardly any help for mental illness that doesn't sound right.

eskielover 11-08-2004 01:50 PM

I have not had any problems with being open at the level of what disabled students services is. They do not disclose what the disability is..just what you need to help you get through school. We are entitled to the help of all disabled students which also is not disclosed. Some disabilities are obvious, but there are many that aren't & none are disclosed acording to law. You only have to let them know if you find it necessary also...if the class is a breeze, then why bother.

I was surprised in a rather difficult class, I provided the information requesting the consideration. I didn't even think about it while taking a test, but at the end, my instructor came up to me and asked me if I wanted to finish in a quite environment. I never went into detail with her about any part of my disability, but she was understanding that I had a disability that effected my school several other times...I still got an A in the class.

Just remember, they never have to know that the disability is a mental illness & Disabled Students Services can't disclose that information by law. You really are safe.

nothemama8 11-08-2004 05:13 PM

Try the Americans Disability Act they might have something, also Occupational Vocational Rehabilitation, should be in phone books
Angie

todd 11-08-2004 10:05 PM

In Texas the texas rehab is paying for my school in community college,but would like to go to state college to either get a education degree or major in psychology so i can help people with mental illness like us maybe improve our mental health system by educating public and getting over stigma.

eskielover 11-08-2004 11:04 PM

You might want to try working with the Texas rehab. Rehab is supposed to pay for education for a given objective...if your objective it to get the degree, then that should be the end goal that they & you are aiming for...you might want to check with them & set down the final goal so they don't leave you up in the air.

Just a thought...(I know they can be jerks...since I already have my degree in engineering...all they wanted to do was train me for assembly line work...I mean, who in their right mind would do something like that...rather stay on disibility & try to pay for my own education to do what I Want.) As you can tell, I had NO luck with the Calif rehab.