Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychotherapy

advertisement
Unread 09-29-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
pinksoil
pinksoil has no updates. Edit

Default What would you do if.... (funny scenarios)

You know how we are always coming up with our wild scenarios in this form.....

Ex: What would you do if T showed up at your door, what would you do if T stayed for the weekend, etc., etc....

Well last week, T surprised me with a "What would you do if...." question. It was pretty funny.

We were discussing how I couldn't talk about a certain subject while looking at him. He asked me if I wanted to turn the chair (which is a big armchair, not the sort of thing you can just pick up and move) and I go, "Um, I'm not moving the furniture."

Then he goes, "What would you do if you came in and the chair was facing the other way?"

I was like, "I don't know! I guess just sit in it and proceed with the session!" lol

Then I just pictured T turning the chair to face the wall before the session just to see what I would do... hahaha

It's usually me who comes up with the weird scenarios (I don't normally share them with him, lol) so I thought it was very funny and charming when he came up with one.

Actually I must edit to add that I just remembered that I did share one with him. I had made up my "ideal" session which was quite funny, but very telling as well. In my ideal session, we spend quite a bit of time talking about psychoanalysis, I tell him a few things he doesn't know, he expresses how impressed he is at my knowledge, then terminates a few patients to allow more open time slots for me... lol, when I told him about this he responded very well to my strangeness. He always does.

Do you ever share your funny scenarios with T? Does your T ever come up with any?
Unread 09-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
Grand Magnate

MissCharlotte Just Breathing

My Mood:

5 yr Member
28 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: What would you do if.... (funny scenarios)

Well, the only scenario I ever shared was when I said I wasn't leaving and T said, okay he would just tell the next guy to lay on the couch.

This past week I was having a hard time because I had so many fragments of thoughts crammed in my head and T helped me to understand that I was flooding. Before this week I never really understood what flooding meant. It was fairly grim in the room and I needed to lighten up so I said, "Maybe that's why I wet the bed so much when I was a kid." He laughed and returned the joke with another saying that me making a joke about flooding was flooding, or something like that. Session was over!

[/url]
MissCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 07:37 AM   #3
Magnate

Mouse_ has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member

I told T once to stop looking at me, then she said, ok but how would you feel if I wasn't looking at you, and I felt I wouldn't like that and realised how much a simple thing as looking at me is a comfort. sooooooo if I walked in and her chair was facing the other way, I'd tell her to wait a moment while I turned it back again and smack her hand for daring to avoid me LOL!
Unread 09-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
Pandita-in-training

Perna is feeling.

8 yr Member
434 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Oh, I got so I routinely moved the chair in one office! It was a recliner and if it was too close to the walls it didn't recline satisfactorily :-)

I had a funny what-would-you-do-if situation when I was in college, taking Senior Lifesaving as my phys ed requirement. I, being "anxious" have to have a solution/plan for all problems and I guess my instructor got tired of hearing how I knew what I'd do in all eventualities, even ones I'd never been in before :-) so she did a "what would you do if you dove off the diving board and then realized there was no water in the pool. . ." and, I started in with my answer! LOL! She broke in to inform me that I couldn't possibly have an answer to that question. . . :-) It did get the "point" across I guess.

http://www.brilliant-thoughts.com/cg...id.cgi?id=2189
Unread 09-30-2007, 12:40 PM   #5

tsha has no updates.

5 yr Member

My t and I have been working on my control issues for a while, not every session but every so often. One day we were discussing something unrelated and she said to me, you really do like to control, dont you.

I just had to roll my eyes at her and give her a good "duh!". We both laughed.
Unread 09-30-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
Grand Magnate

MissCharlotte Just Breathing

My Mood:

5 yr Member
28 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

If I walked in the room and the chair were facing the other way I would probably sit on the couch so I could see him. That's me, practical till the end of time.

[/url]
MissCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #7
Grand Poohbah

WinterRose has no updates.

5 yr Member

I've actually done something similar. My pdoc sometimes would send me to his office ahead of him or leave for a little bit. So I would move his chair to see if he would notice when he came back in (it was on wheels, a desk chair.) But he never did. He just sat in it and wheeled it where ever he wanted to be. Unless he chose another chair insttead. Oh, well. I even turned some pictures that hadn't been hung yet upside down once. It wasn't really his office so that may be why he didn't notice that. I wonder though if he did look at the mixed up waterfall sometime later and wonder. giggle

~~~~~
“The individual who is always adjusted is one who does not develop himself...” (Dabrowski, Kawczak, & Piechowski, 1970)

“Man’s mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.” (Oliver Wendell Holms, Sr.)
WinterRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 10:56 PM   #8
Guest4
Guest4 has no updates. Edit

I am majorly self conscious. I went in for a session and T said we were going to do a relaxation exercise. I hate closing my eyes and sitting right in front of him - I feel so vulnerable! He realized that this was how I felt when I hesitated. He then turned his chair around so that he couldn't see me. He said, "I promise I won't look." LOL
Of course, I peeked a couple of times and true to his word, he wasn't looking!
Unread 10-01-2007, 12:49 AM   #9
Legendary

sunrise is sremptcarly

5 yr Member
104 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I've told this story before. Once early in therapy, at a night-time session, he asked "what can I do to make you feel safe here?" This was in preparation for a big disclosure from me, something I had been trying to tell him but had been unable to. I had had this dream where he and I were really safe in his office and in it, the light was a lot dimmer. So I tried to recreate that in his office (but didn't tell him about the dream). I just told him I would feel safer if it wasn't so bright. So he turned off the light next to me. Still too bright. Then he turned off the light by his desk. Still too bright. Then he turned off the lamp next to him, and it was pitch black in his office. Neither of us could see a thing. I think he even asked "still too bright?" or something like that, lol. I started laughing hysterically, and he joined in.