Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychotherapy

advertisement
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #1

LearningMe01 - I'll miss her for the rest of my life.

My Mood:

79 hugs
given
Default What does your therapist do....

If and when you cry? This may seem like a silly question, but I'm really curious. See, I'm not really a "crier" unless it's in front of the people who are closest to me. For a long time I tried to keep my T out of that "close to me zone" (a defense mechanism) I've finally accepted that she means a lot to me and I am about as comfortable as a person can be when I'm around her (except for the romantic feelings on my part, which are always there, but do not seem to get in the way of the session)I've told her how much I care about her, in the most sincere way possible. Since then, it's been easier for me to cry in front of her. I don't mean just a tear or two streaming down my cheek...full on crying.

I don't know what I expect her to do...but she just kinda sits there and looks at me. Don't get me wrong, she always has a very concerned look in her eyes, but it feels strange sometimes, sitting there crying in front of someone. I wonder if it's awkward for her as well? Or maybe her silence is her way of respecting my feelings and letting me express them without interruption?

This isn't something that's a huge deal, just something I noticed tonight and I'm interested in hearing ways other T's react.

"Sorry I'm only human, you know me. Grown up? Oh no , guess again..."

Last edited by LearningMe01; 07-24-2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Typos
LearningMe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Grand Magnate

sweepy62 emotional rollercoaster

My Mood:

3 yr Member
498 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have a problem with crying in front of any t I hold it back and it can get in the way of my healing but I just learned to hold it in and trust me it's painful

BPD

ZOLOFT 100
TOPAMAX 400
ABILIFY 10
SYNTHROID 137

sweepy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
Grand Magnate

Bipolarartist wants to follow the white rabbit.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
684 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: What does your therapist do....

I'm not a 'crier' either and it distresses me greatly when I do. My T just sits and stares at me which I find rather like I'm being ignored.(When I was little my mum used to ignore my crying) This causes a severe reaction in me after therapy. I am going to bring it up next session.

Bipolarartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
Magnate

critterlady has no updates.

2 yr Member
2,576 hugs
given

My T doesn't react when I cry. He doesn't comfort me, since providing comfort would not help me express my emotions. He empathizes with whatever emotion I have that causes my tears.

Come to think of it, though, my crying is always just tears falling. I've never sobbed in front of him. I don't know what he would do if I sobbed.
critterlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Moodswing "Don't wish for it to be easier. Wish for you to be better."

My Mood:

2 yr Member
148 hugs
given

Yeah mine has never done anything either. Once he said....in the most concerned voice ever....it is ok MoodSwing. I did not expect it to be as comforting as it was. It feet like a warm glow starting small in my abdomen and then growing. I am not use to being consoled when crying. Usually I do it in hiding anyway.
Moodswing is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #6

LearningMe01 - I'll miss her for the rest of my life.

My Mood:

79 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterlady View Post
My T doesn't react when I cry. He doesn't comfort me, since providing comfort would not help me express my emotions. He empathizes with whatever emotion I have that causes my tears.

Come to think of it, though, my crying is always just tears falling. I've never sobbed in front of him. I don't know what he would do if I sobbed.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. I suppose crying can be a good thing, and she's trying to let me express the way I feel. And yes, she always empathizes with the emotions also (or sympathizes with things things she doesn't understand)

"Sorry I'm only human, you know me. Grown up? Oh no , guess again..."
LearningMe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
Anonymous100110
Anonymous100110 has no updates. Edit

He gives me the space to cry generally. Sometimes he will ask me to put the tears to words. That is more when the crying is pulling me into dissociation (hard to explain). I can get very "lost" in my tears and there is a fine line for me where if I go too far, it is very hard to find my way back. T is pretty attuned to seeing the difference and helps me get grounded before I am too far gone.
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
Magnate
Leah123 I been tryin to do it right

My Mood:

1,075 hugs
given

My therapist and I do online chats and sometimes phone chats. When I tell her I'm crying, she tells me a few different things:

She sometimes says she'll hold my tears, which I think is her way of embracing my pain and sharing it with me, trying to unburden me.

She sometimes tells me just to take my time and cry, that she's there with me. She wants me to feel comfortable getting out all my tears and says tears are healing (sometimes I agree, sometimes I dont)

I asked her recently if I could have a virtual hug, and was so relieved and pleased when she said she liked hugs and would send me one whenever I asked, so if I'm having a hard time, I've just started asking for a hug on occasion.

In general is very sympathetic.
Leah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
Anonymous32741
Anonymous32741 has no updates. Edit

...gives me a tissue or lots of them.
the best is that T takes them back, snot and all ...and throws them away.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #10
underdog is here
stopdog Moral nihilist who has failed to validate the feelings of others since the 1960s

3 yr Member
8 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have never cried in front of a therapist and I don't plan on doing so. But the woman, who was once on a kick to get me to cry, used tell me she would stay back and promised not to touch me if I ever did. Of course, she has never kept a promise she has made thus far, so I would not be surprised if the supposed assurance was mere hyperbole.
"Thanks for this!" says: