Forums at Psych Central

Forums at Psych Central (http://forums.psychcentral.com/)
-   Psychotherapy (http://forums.psychcentral.com/psychotherapy/)
-   -   More on Childish and acting Child-like (http://forums.psychcentral.com/psychotherapy/178420-more-childish-acting-child-like.html)

krisakira 03-29-2011 03:00 AM

Re: More on Childish and acting Child-like

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTSDlovemycats (Post 1779345)
What sort of things does "lil Kris" do when she comes out in therapy??
According to my T I act like a 3yr old a lot but i don't know why, it isn't intentional. She thinks it might be where the emotional developmental delays started but she said that she could be wrong...

Well i just started going to a new T so lil kris has not come out to her as i have seen new T just once. but my last good T i had, she would come out sometimes cause i felt comfortable around him, and she giggled and curled up and T would show me papers with information or charts to help with therapy, and he would bring his chair up next to mine and i would hover over to look at the papers and he would read them to me in a nice way like talkin to a kid cause lil kris is a kid and wouldnt understand the grown up stuff. lil kris misses mike (the previous T)... :sob:

PTSDlovemycats 03-29-2011 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisakira (Post 1779357)
he would bring his chair up next to mine and i would hover over to look at the papers and he would read them to me in a nice way like talkin to a kid cause lil kris is a kid and wouldnt understand the grown up stuff. lil kris misses mike (the previous T)... :sob:

Awe that is so sweet your T would do that!! How come you aren't seeing that T anymore?

krisakira 03-29-2011 03:06 AM

cause i moved :( from ohio to kansas... so its not like i can keep seeing him lol

PTSDlovemycats 03-29-2011 03:19 AM

Oh that is so sad! Can "lil Kris" maybe email old T?? :headscratch: Is that a possibity? How do you like your new T? Is your new T helpful?

PTSDlovemycats 03-29-2011 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treehouse (Post 1776251)
(((((((PTSD)))))))

T told me once that everyone, especially people with trauma, has parts of themselves that haven't "grown up" and that part of therapy is helping them grow up.

Don't know if that helps, but that's my .02!

:hug::hug::hug::hug:

VERY Helpful as always Treehouse! Thanks so much!! :love:

PTSDlovemycats 03-29-2011 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omers (Post 1776347)
A lot of people "stop" developing in some way or another when the trauma starts. It's normal for trauma survivors. I too have parts so it is a little different.

Thanks so much for this, also very helpful!

PTSDlovemycats 03-29-2011 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bounceback (Post 1776370)
I am 48 and I look like I am in my early 30s. I think sometimes I come across as younger than I am. I think it is because I got stunted in the developmental stage somewhere. I also have PTSD. I think also that being in therapy makes us more vulnerable and childlike, not like we are presenting ourselves in the "real world." I had one therapist tell me in some ways I act like a young child but in other ways I am wiser beyond my years.

I can completely relate with this post! Thanks Bounceback! :love:

PTSDlovemycats 03-29-2011 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECHOES (Post 1776378)
I think we are acting our emotional age at that moment. The age where development got stuck or interrupted. And we didn't grow and learn how to be more independent and able to voice our needs directly. I think we act what we don't have words for, yet. A young child can pout because they are hurt/angry/disappointed when they had an expectation that was wasn't met; but they don't have words for the expectation, or the disappointment/anger/hurt.

With therapy, I have seen a change in both my expectations and my having words for experiences that have helped me many times.

Very nicely put Echoes!! Thanks so much for sharing this! :hug:

PTSDlovemycats 03-29-2011 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perna (Post 1776411)
Some of my childish behaviors were symptoms or habits and I had to, over time, confront them in therapy and see if I wanted/needed that behavior still or wanted to act more socially acceptable, as an adult. I had one very childish behavior for over 50 years (one of the main reasons I wanted therapy) but it was based on the underlying anxiety and when therapy helped, the behavior finally wasn't needed and ceased being "useful" or what I wanted/needed.

Thanks Perna, it sounds as though you had a lot of experience with this. Just curious but what behaviors and/or habits are you referring to? Sounds like it was hard to break. If it is too personal that don't feel pressured to reply.

PTSDlovemycats 03-29-2011 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by granite1 (Post 1776458)
lol if you look at my pic on my profile i am sitting in a ship port hole i am only 4 ft 8 and look very young i am 43 in this pic.i have always looked dressed and acted younger than i am.

I did and you are right! I think that the pic of your avavtar is the epitomy of "child like" but I LOVE it! ;):love::throb: