Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychotherapy

advertisement
Unread 01-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Poohbah

Simcha has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
Default Court Ordered Psych. Eval? !?

Meh...

Courts and mental health do not mix well. I'm finding myself an involuntary victim of abuse of the system. Most courts do not even really know what "mental illness" is, but I play along in in the hopes that it will finally end this six month long odyssey of hell my EX thrust upon me with her lies.

Now, I don't mind being court ordered for a psychological exam with MY own T, but what if I'm ordered to one with a different T or Pdoc? I've had nothing but bad experiences with other T's and especially Pdocs... I've been kicked out of one Pdoc's office because I refused to do as he told (take massive quantities of daily Xanax-- not healthy), and I walked out of another one because he was arrogant and haughty, who then proceeded to tell me as I was walking out that I was a "danger" simply because I had been accused of impropriety by the courts. As an FYI, I have a clean record and I was formerly a Military Police soldier in the US Army. I'm not mentally unstable in any significant way, nor am I a danger to myself or anyone else.

Small price to pay to get rid of this issue, but I suppose I am just afraid that the courts will order me to see someone else who will be just as terrible and unprofessional as the last Pdoc that I saw (only that one time--the guy who accused me of being "dangerous" because I hurt his humongous ego by walking out mid-session). I suppose that I am afraid of being labeled with a "mental illness", and by the possible power that they could have over me. For instance, if I happened to get assigned to see a Pdoc who for whatever reason was like the guy who kicked me out of his office because I didn't believe him that I needed massive daily Xanax. Now, with that guy, the worst he could do is kick me out (no loss there!), but with a court-ordered guy it could be much worse and I might get stuck in an involuntary cycle of pill-popping and possible involuntary incarceration for non-compliance.

I'll know more in February, but dang, I sure do have anxiety over this as it is so uncertain. Maybe I have nothing to worry about, but if they order me to see someone else other than my trusted T of 3 years, then my anxiety will skyrocket.

Anyone been through this, and/or have suggestions and insight?
Thanks!

--Sam
Unread 01-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Anonymous32910
Anonymous32910 has no updates. Edit

Default Re: Court Ordered Psych. Eval? !?

Get a lawyer. You'll need one in order to ensure a fair evaluation and treatment.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 01-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Elder

WePow is............

5 yr Member
1,580 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

First - thank you for your service.
I do agree with Chris about getting a lawyer on this. But if you can't, run it all by your current T and see if your T could write up something or check it out for you.
Unread 01-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
Poohbah

Simcha has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmergirl View Post
Get a lawyer. You'll need one in order to ensure a fair evaluation and treatment.
I should clarify:
I have a lawyer. He is going to try to get the court to agree to my own psychologist.
Unread 01-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Elder

WePow is............

5 yr Member
1,580 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Ah! Well that is the way to go then.
Unread 01-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Poohbah

Simcha has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpowers View Post
First - thank you for your service.
I do agree with Chris about getting a lawyer on this. But if you can't, run it all by your current T and see if your T could write up something or check it out for you.
Thanks Having a lawyer (as I do), doesn't really mean they will do the right thing by you, just so you know. Some attorney's, like mine for example, who was court assigned--really don't care that much at all, so it's sorta like being on your own. It's important to dispel the myths that having a lawyer means you'll have a better chance of turning out well-- the reality is that you take your chances.

I've been trying to find the time off work in order to make an appointment (not a court ordered one) with my T to talk about this and other things. I'm in a different city now, so it makes it a little challenging.

I need to talk to him about all the stress I have anyway, so a phone appointment is not adequate. Only thing I really hate now is that I have to pay out of pocket for any sessions with my T, as he doesn't take my new insurance. Ahh, the joys of the system we live in!
Unread 01-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Pet Lady of Psychcentral

NuckingFutz Slightly Manic and Loving it.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
70 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

If nothing else, go into military bearing mode during the eval, that's what I do. Works everytime. Carry on. And keep posting. I always love talking with another veteran.
NuckingFutz is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 01-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
Poohbah

Simcha has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckingFutz View Post
If nothing else, go into military bearing mode during the eval, that's what I do. Works everytime. Carry on. And keep posting. I always love talking with another veteran.
Good idea, if I happen to get sent to someone other than my own T.

It's always good to talk to another vet!
Unread 01-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #9
Legendary

sunrise is sremptcarly

5 yr Member
104 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Simcha, I'm sorry. What a hassle--how stressful.

I have a feeling they probably won't let your T do the evaluation, unless that is a service he routinely does for the court. On the other hand, they will not let the opposing side choose the psychologist either. The person is supposed to be neutral.

You can also request a psych evaluation of your spouse (tit for tat).

Your evaluator will probably be a psychologist, not a psychiatrist. And the evaluator will be evaluating you, not treating you or prescribing meds. The evaluator will not be prescribing Xanax to you!

Be truthful and cooperative. Do not assume the evaluator is out to get you, so don't be hyperalert and take offense, get angry, boss him/her around, insult him/her, slam your fist on the table, walk out, etc. All that would reflect badly on you. You may feel like walking out but just stay calm and get through it. You will never have to see this person again after the evaluation is complete. They will probably ask you a bunch of questions and perhaps ask you to take some standardized psychological tests.

Find out the reason your spouse wants you to be evaluated. Does she say you are dangerous? That you are out of touch with reality? Addicted to drugs? What?

Find out as much as you can about how you will be evaluated and then ask your own T for advice on how to pass the evaluation.

Quote:
I'll know more in February, but dang, I sure do have anxiety over this as it is so uncertain. Maybe I have nothing to worry about, but if they order me to see someone else other than my trusted T of 3 years, then my anxiety will skyrocket.
Do you mean order you to see someone for regular therapy besides your T? Or do you mean get evaluated by anyone besides your own T? If the latter, you should get used to that idea now, so you don't blow up when it happens, as it very well could. They want a neutral evaluator who is trained in court evaluations. Your T is not neutral, because he knows you and has been treating you. And is he trained in court evaluations? Simcha, be prepared for an evaluation by a psychologist you do not know. Think about it a lot so you are used to the idea before that is what happens. You will cause trouble for yourself if you refuse the evaluation. If you want your T to give input, you could ask your lawyer if there is a way for your T to submit a letter of support to your case and have it read into your file--or something like that.

Simcha, what methods do you use to relax? Can you use those a lot between now and the evaluation? You need to be calm and present well.
Unread 01-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #10
Legendary

sunrise is sremptcarly

5 yr Member
104 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Simcha, another idea--if they do order a neutral to do your evaluation--is to have your own psychologist do one too. Then you have two evaluations and if there is a conflict in their conclusions, you have a second opinion to back you up. Be prepared to pay a lot for the psych evaluation, if you have your own T do a second one. It seems like your spouse would pay for the first one since it is she who wants it.