Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychotherapy

advertisement
Unread 11-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
Anonymous29522
Anonymous29522 has no updates. Edit

Question Why so tired after intense sessions?

I know many of us have commented that we are so physically exhausted after an intense session. Can anyone explain why, biologically, this happens?

I had a helluva session last night, and as soon as I woke up this morning, I thought how I couldn't wait to go to bed tonight. I'm having a horrible time concentrating at work, and I feel like I could just put my head down on my desk right now.
Unread 11-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
- - -
sittingatwatersedge is focusing on counting her blessings.

5 yr Member
1,412 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Why so tired after intense sessions?

let's face it, mental work is truly exertion, and in fact can be harder than any physical work. Not only are you mentally going through the wringer in session, but your body knows the tension and stress, too. And after you leave, even (or maybe especially) while you are sleeping, your brain is processing away, it doesn't sleep really. It's no wonder you are tired.

Hmmm
After finishing this paragraph I had to go back and change what I actually typed, which was, "not only are you mentally going through the writer in session"... now what's that all about....
sittingatwatersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
Legendary

Rapunzel Still here, sometimes...

My Mood:

10 yr Member
132 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Mental energy and physical energy aren't actually separate, like much of Western society likes to believe.

Any kind of energy work (EMDR, EFT, Tapas Accupressure, ...) comes with a warning that one should expect to feel tired and need sleep afterwards. Energy moving work takes water too. The same would apply to intense therapy sessions. You need rest and water to replenish the energy that is redistributed and/or used.
Are you interested in talking about faith and beliefs and what it means to you with others on this site? If so, come visit the All Faiths social group. We've had a bunch of new people and new discussions and would love to have more.

http://forums.psychcentral.com/groups/all-faiths.html

Please visit my blogs at
http://rapunzel.psychcentral.net/
http://togetherinfaith.psychcentral.net/
Rapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Grand Member
SpottedOwl has no updates.

5 yr Member

Our mind and our bodies *are* tied together.

One basic example of this, is when we get nervous our muscles might tense, and we might start to sweat a little more. When we get sad we might cry. Every emotion there is has a corresponding physical representation in our bodies.

You can even see this in the idea of the 'placebo effect'. Just by believing something will help us, it CAN physically reduce symptoms.

Rapunzel gives really good advice...drink more water, and/or take a bath. The water helps to flush toxins. When we are emotionally activated, our bodies produce more hormones. Like getting an adrenaline surge after a scary encounter...that adrenaline now needs to be flushed out.

I've also found physical exercise, stretching, and laughter to be very helpful in helping the body release tension/toxins after an emotional session.
SpottedOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
Magnate

BlueMoon6 has no updates.

5 yr Member
2 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Dream- I agree with this. That we tend to believe our mental lives and physical lives are more separate then they are. I also feel physically exhausted after a heavy session. I naturally will rest and take it easy for the remainder of the day. I hope you can, too Nothing too heavy, just work and, if you can, chat with friends. Does that sound do-able?

I also think it just exhausts the braincells! I feel lazy today, too. My daughter is home sick and so I have to stay home, anyway. So, Im glad for the opportunity to lay around with her (and my little one, too).

SAWE- cute typo Hmmmm.....
BlueMoon6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
Grand Magnate

zooropa is holding on to love.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
106 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
Mental energy and physical energy aren't actually separate, like much of Western society likes to believe.

Any kind of energy work (EMDR, EFT, Tapas Accupressure, ...) comes with a warning that one should expect to feel tired and need sleep afterwards. Energy moving work takes water too. The same would apply to intense therapy sessions. You need rest and water to replenish the energy that is redistributed and/or used.
I'm going to remember that & really pay attention to drinking extra water after my sessions, especially the intense ones.

I know I was so tired last night (had intense session yesterday afternoon) that I slept like a ROCK & that very rarely happens for me b/c of the nightmares from PTSD. I was just completely exhausted, even though I had not done much physically, didn't even take the dog on a decent walk yesterday.

today I'm going to be extra gentle with myself
zooropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
Anonymous29522

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedOwl View Post
Rapunzel gives really good advice...drink more water, and/or take a bath. The water helps to flush toxins. When we are emotionally activated, our bodies produce more hormones. Like getting an adrenaline surge after a scary encounter...that adrenaline now needs to be flushed out.

I've also found physical exercise, stretching, and laughter to be very helpful in helping the body release tension/toxins after an emotional session.
Thank you - I may take a bath. When I had a Reiki session, I was told afterwards to take a bath with salts. I have some bath salts, maybe I will do that. And I should try some stretching, too.

That's the bad thing about feeling so darn tired, I can't imagine doing exercise right now, though I did just walk my dog for a bit in the park - does that count?
Unread 11-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
Anonymous29522

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoon6 View Post
Nothing too heavy, just work and, if you can, chat with friends. Does that sound do-able?
I actually left work early, I couldn't concentrate at all and felt my eyes welling up with tears. I don't feel up to chatting with anyone, I just want to crawl in bed and close my eyes. But I'll try the bath and maybe read a bit.
Unread 11-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #9
Legendary

Rapunzel Still here, sometimes...

My Mood:

10 yr Member
132 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Yes, walking your dog counts as exercise! You got outside and did something. That's better than I did today. I just took a hot bath with salts though, and that was nice.
Are you interested in talking about faith and beliefs and what it means to you with others on this site? If so, come visit the All Faiths social group. We've had a bunch of new people and new discussions and would love to have more.

http://forums.psychcentral.com/group.php?groupid=2

Please visit my blogs at
http://rapunzel.psychcentral.net/
http://togetherinfaith.psychcentral.net/
Rapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
Magnate

BlueMoon6 has no updates.

5 yr Member
2 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeker9 View Post
I actually left work early, I couldn't concentrate at all and felt my eyes welling up with tears. I don't feel up to chatting with anyone, I just want to crawl in bed and close my eyes. But I'll try the bath and maybe read a bit.
((((Dream))) A big hug to you Its so difficult when it has this effect on your day. Maybe just crawling into bed after a nice soothing bath isnt a bad idea.
BlueMoon6 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: