Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 04-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Grand Magnate

MissCharlotte Just Breathing

My Mood:

5 yr Member
28 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default lexapro - morning or night?

I just began taking lexapro about 4 weeks ago. First I took 10 mg for two days but was so zonked I cut back to 5. After 2 weeks I started alternating 5 & 10. Now I am finally up to 10 mg a day (for a week). My depression has improved no doubt but I have some increased anxiety and some insomnia but not every night. I have been tired during the day and had to take naps a couple of days midday. I take the med in the a.m. but does anyone take it at night?

[/url]
MissCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
Poohbah

SecretGarden has no updates.

5 yr Member
Default Re: lexapro - morning or night?

I think that you may wish to give it a bit more time...like another month. I know that seems forever. I also would talk to the prescribing doc for input.

I used to take lexapro during the day..morning. I took 10 mg and I did get to start 2.5 mg or so in the evenings when life was rough but that extra amount made me a bit sedated. I think it depends on your needs and your therapist/prescribing doc's thoughts for this med. The symptoms take a while to even out and the meds to maximise and generally that can be up to 8 weeks.
SecretGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
Grand Member

Juliana has no updates.

5 yr Member

Hi Sister. I've been taking Lexapro for almost 3 months. I started off on 5 like you and worked my way up to 10mg over a couple of weeks.

I take mine around 6PM. When I first started it, I was taking it before bed, but it seemed to be making my insomnia worse. Then I tried taking it in the morning for a couple of days, but I'm just too freaking forgetful in the morning -- kept forgetting to take it before I went to work. So, now I'm taking it when I get home from work.

I think it's still increasing my insomnia, so I've been taking 1/2 a dimenhydrinate before bed so I can sleep. I find the Lexapro is making me a bit brain-foggy sometimes during the day, but it's not as bad as when I was on Celexa. I'm still clear-headed enough to do my job. It has helped me loads with my anxiety. I haven't had a panic attack since I started taking it and I've been able to cut way back on my Clonazepam use because I don't feel like I need it anymore. It has also lifted my depression a fair bit.

If you're having more anxiety since you increased the dose, maybe your body just needs some time to adjust to the 10mg. I had bad headaches, upset stomach and acid reflux for the few first weeks, but those side effects (except for a mild headache in the evening) went away after a few weeks. If the added anxiety doesn't go away, you should talk to your doc about it.
Unread 04-14-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
Grand Member
Hopefull has no updates.

8 yr Member

I have been on it for seven months. I started at 10 mg and felt like throwing up. My doctor suggested that I take it in the morning because it might cause insomnia and insomnia was almost the primary reason for seeking out treatment. I did not notice a decrease in anxiety until a month or month and a half after starting it. I suggest that you TRY to give it a month to see if it works for you. The side effects should decrease or go away once your body adjust to the drug. I still feel slightly dizzy at times. I sometimes feel a bit sleepy, but I am not sure if that is the drug or the original problem (I had a strong lack of energy before starting Lexapro). If you want to try to take it at night. There is no reason why you can't try that. People take it when the side effects that they experience will be less disruptive to them.
Hopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2007, 01:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

CamW has no updates.

10 yr Member

sister - There is not much I can add to what has been said in the previous posts. It really doesn't matter if you take Lexapro™ (escitalopram) in the morning or at night, but as has been said, once your body has adjusted to the medication, the drowsiness and anxiety will be non-issues. All SSRIs do increase anxiety during the first few weeks after starting the drug. In my personal and clinical experience I have noticed that the more anxiety one feels during these first few weeks the better the Lexapro™ will work at controlling the anxiety over the long run.

Keep taking the Lexapro™ in the morning, and in another week the tiredness will fade away. I hope that this helps. - Cam
Unread 04-15-2007, 01:17 AM   #6
has no updates. Edit

Although I don't take it now, I was prescribed Lexapro and the doc said that it can be taken either am or pm. He said it affects people differently so if it made me tired, then take it at night and if it made me more alert to take it in the morning.

So I say it's your call.

I hope you feel better!