Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
adampeps has no updates.

1 hugs
given
Default Zoloft - Figuring out the right dosage

Hi all,

I went off Zoloft a little while ago but have been re-starting due to getting depressed again. When I was doing well I was on 50mg of Zoloft which I know is quite a low dose. While re-starting I started back at 50mg for a couple of weeks, and was told that I could up to 100mg and then upto 150mg.

Around the 2 week mark I was starting to feel like things were lifting and were going better. As i've increased I have been finding that I am having lower feeling days than about a week ago.

I'm not sure if I should ride this out or go back to what had worked for me before.

Thanks all,
Adam
adampeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Account Suspended
sewerrats banana bogie

My Mood:

3 yr Member
9 hugs
given
Default Re: Zoloft - Figuring out the right dosage

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampeps View Post
Hi all,

I went off Zoloft a little while ago but have been re-starting due to getting depressed again. When I was doing well I was on 50mg of Zoloft which I know is quite a low dose. While re-starting I started back at 50mg for a couple of weeks, and was told that I could up to 100mg and then upto 150mg.

Around the 2 week mark I was starting to feel like things were lifting and were going better. As i've increased I have been finding that I am having lower feeling days than about a week ago.

I'm not sure if I should ride this out or go back to what had worked for me before.

Thanks all,
Adam
It don't work like that , what worked before may not again. This will sound weird, but if you hadn't come off your 50mg it would be still working. If your feeling good on a med never come off is my motto
sewerrats is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 09-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Grand Member

Odee gets one step forward and a hard slip backwards.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
477 hugs
given

I definitely think it is a no-brainer to start on the lower dose that worked before and give it much more time before increasing. However, I think when you wait out the higher dose I am sure you will be fine.

Just a little tree kitty.

Depression, Anxiety, Panic. Med free.
Odee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Grand Poohbah
SingDanceRunLife has no updates.

5 yr Member
46 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I only take 50mg of Zoloft. I've actually never gone higher, and would be weary of doing so just because at 50mg the first time I took it, I became manic (though I wasn't on a mood stabilizer, but still). You have to give meds time to take effect at each dose though. Changing super fast won't give you the right picture.
SingDanceRunLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 03:15 AM   #5
Account Suspended
sewerrats banana bogie

My Mood:

3 yr Member
9 hugs
given

I think your doc may have worked out a plan, 50mg start up, then after 3 weeks or what ever 100mg , I don't think you need 150mg because in my experience 150mg is no better than 100mg. Being on 50mg before and now returning back he will guest that may be 50mg is not strong enough this time round. Once the hundred works you can cut back to 50mg if it still holds off you depression. Returning depression means you never took the med long enough or you are going to be prone to more depressive attacks in your life, If you get a med to work don't keep thinking about coming off , I may be the link that's holding you togeather
sewerrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #6

TombE has no updates.

My Mood:

3 hugs
given

I would give it another week or two. It might take longer to work this time? You can always try 75mg instead of going to 100mg. SSRI's are strange. I understand the frustration. I went cold turkey of 200mg of zoloft, and when I went back on it, I told my doctor I wanted to start off low and see how it goes. The high dosage plus 300mg Welbutrin turned me into a zombie. I started back on 50mg and have been stable on it for 3 years now. I JUST recently went to the doctor since I noticed my moods taking a turn for the worse. I'm even scared to up my dose to 75mg...
TombE is offline   Reply With Quote