Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 08-24-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
rhubarbpie has no updates.

8 yr Member
Default Lexapro dosage

I began Lexapro about one month ago to help with my crying fits. The MD suggested 10mg and it has largely worked wonders for crying.

However, it hasn't helped my mood at all and I fear its effectiveness is beginning to diminish. Tuesday I cried for the first time, although much, much less pronounced than before.

I visited my MD today for a prescription. My problem is he gave no direction and has ice in his veins. "Should I increase the dosage?" "Yes, you could do that." "Should I stay at 10mg hoping that its benefits will increase?" "Yes, you could do that too."

Has anyone increased dosage from 10mg to 20mg? What are the pros and cons?
rhubarbpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
Wise Elder

Rhapsody LoVe Hurts

My Mood:

8 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Lexapro dosage

Q: What dose of LEXAPRO should a patient start with and how do you know if the dosage should be increased or decreased? When the dosage is increased or decreased, what does that do to the body and what does it feel like? What are the minimum and maximum dosages?

A: Most patients are started at 10 mg/day. Some patients might be started at 5 mg (especially those with severe anxiety disorder, or who are old or ill from other medical conditions), but most start at one 10 mg tablet. The medication is taken once a day, most commonly in the morning, but some prefer to take it in the evening or at noontime.

For all patients, 10 mg/day is the recommended starting dose of LEXAPRO. 10 mg/day is also the maintenance dose for many patients. If the dose is increased to 20 mg/day, this should occur after a minimum of 1 week. LEXAPRO can be taken morning or evening once daily, with or without food.

Your doctor may suggest a decrease in dosage if you experience side effects that do not go away after approximately 2 weeks. (Most side effects, like nausea, indigestion, diarrhea, headache, slight increase in anxiety, do go away within 2 weeks).

Once the side effects disappear, they usually do not return. However, if your physician recommends increasing your dose, the side effect may return for a brief period of time (usually no more than a day or two).

LoVe,
Rhapsody -
Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2006, 04:20 PM   #3

1Dar has no updates.

My Mood:

10 yr Member

I am currently taking 30mg of Lexapo daily. I guess I don't really notice a difference. The only time I really notice its effects is when I forget to take it. I guess for me it is hard to know what "normal" is because I have been down for so long that I really don't know any differnt other than my really low days and my extreme high days, which are few and far between. If you don't feel that your doctor is helpng, find a differnt one! Your doctor should be able to talk to you and you should be able to run things past them too.

Dar
1Dar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2006, 06:05 PM   #4

8 yr Member

Did you increase your dosage to 30mg?

I agree that I need another doctor. I felt that way the first visit but didn't want to hurt his feelings. I'm sure he's trying but it seems his main aim is to get out the door.
Unread 08-24-2006, 08:40 PM   #5
LilacRat has no updates.

8 yr Member

I take 20 mg for OCD and depression. It works well for the OCD. My mother takes 15 for the same problems and it has helped her. I was told by my NP that 20 mg is the normal max but you go above that without severe side effects.
LilacRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
Magnate

wi_fighter has no updates.

8 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I went from 10 to 20 mg with no problems, but definitely get another doctor, and try not to worry about hurting his feelings.
Unread 08-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #7
LMo
Elder

LMo has no updates.

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I started at 5mg and ended up at 10mg. I could barely stay awake for the first 2-3 months while on it, but it was worth the benefits. 10mg seemed to be enough so I didn't ever go up to the full 20mg prescribed, but I was also afraid of getting any sleepier than I already was.

I agree with wi_fighter - get a 2nd opinion. People go to a doctor for information, not for a guessing game.
Unread 08-25-2006, 06:29 PM   #8

8 yr Member

I understand you increased your dosage to 20mg with no problems. But did it help? How long had you been on 10mg before increasing?
Unread 08-25-2006, 07:27 PM   #9
Grand Member
Hopefull has no updates.

8 yr Member

Get a new doctor. That doctor sounds like someone who isn't concerned with helping you to get the best treatment possible. That's not good. Perhaps a counselor or good friend can give you good referral.
Hopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2006, 12:18 PM   #10
Poohbah

ickydog2006 has no updates.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
72 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

When I took lexapro it gave me organized mood swings. It would kick in for around 3-4 hours but then would drop me to way depressed. They tried pping my dosage and it made me feel manic. I couldn't sit still or focus for more than a minute and I got really paranoid.

Wellbutrin worked much better for me

But that was just my experience