Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Anonymous33445
Anonymous33445 has no updates. Edit

Default How many beers can i drink on clonazepam?

I've been taking 1mg of clonazepam for almost a month now so is it ok to drink moderately as it has been one with my system or is it the same as taking clonazepam the first time with alcohol.

i had 2 beers with .5 clonazepam and nothing happened so would maybe 4 beers right now be ok or no? 3.. i wont go over 5 beers or yes? thanks.
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Imperfect Idealist

Nicks_Nose is learning through life one day at a time.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
12,129 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: How many beers can i drink on clonazepam?

Why is alcohol so important?
Nicks_Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
Anonymous33445

It's not that important. I'm just wondering if I'll die or not.. because so far its doing nothing to damage my health..
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Imperfect Idealist

Nicks_Nose is learning through life one day at a time.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
12,129 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I simply don't drink alcohol because of prescription meds and the risks in combination with alcohol. It is not safe and I would not recommend it to anybody.
Nicks_Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
who reads this, anyway?

Yoda misses Dusty :(

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

What time of day do you take the clonazepam? If you take it throughout the day/evening you should not drink at all. If you take it only at night you 'might' be able to have a couple of drinks early in the day but early enough that the alcohol is out of your system before you take the clonazepam. But four beers.... no way, that is too much. You don't need to get drunk while on benzos. Benzos by themselves are very safe but combined with alcohol they can be deadly.

I got the okay from my pdoc before I drank any alcohol on my meds. You should also discuss this with your pdoc. If you are an alcoholic and cannot control your drinking you need to let your pdoc know and not take any benzos at all. I am not judging you, just telling your for your safety.

Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Anonymous32835
Anonymous32835 has no updates. Edit

Maybe (I am not judging you at all) you should ask about getting your med upped a little so you feel more relaxed so you wont feel the need to drink? Do you drink to relax or do you drink because you enjoy kicking back and the taste? I guess thats the important question. But yes I take that medication too with many more and hear it nonstop that never should you drink on it....like one time isnt enough of telling someone. Good luck on your journey
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
Grand Poohbah

BlessedRhiannon has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
20 hugs
given

When I spoke with my pdoc about benzos and alcohol, he told me that if you've taken a benzo within about 3 hours then you can expect the effect of the alcohol to be doubled. But, it varies person to person, just as the effects of benzos alone or alcohol alone vary by person.

I'd suggest talking with your pdoc about what a safe amount of alcohol is when taking benzos. My pdoc was very open to the discussion and appreciated me asking about it.

Personally, I'm very sensitive to alcohol, and dislike feeling buzzed, so I made the choice not to drink alcohol at all while on meds.
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Anonymous33445

I take .5mg in the morning and .5mg at night. im not sure if i can explain this properly but i know that taking a benzo with a drink at the same time is wrong but my body should have built some sort of tolerance to the clonazepam by now because i still feel i bit anxious at times of the day so its ok to drink some in the evening before i take my night pill?
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #9
Elder

~Christina is doing.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
2,122 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

you will find loads of different responses here about meds and alcohol.. Its kind of a hot topic. Best thing to do is ask your Pdoc about it follow there advice.

Stay safe and good luck
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #10
Getting there! :-)

sugahorse1 is trudging along

My Mood:

3 yr Member
301 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Well, here I am that has abused benzo's and thrown in alcohol too.
I've taken 7x0.5mg benzo's in one go when I was only prescribed 0.5mg prn. I slept like a bomb. I can't say it affected me much, except that I became very chilled and at the same time very emotional.
No, this was not the wisest thing I have ever done.

I am now not meant to take benzo's due to the possibility of me abusing them, but I do drink on my remaining psych meds. My T does get angry with me occasionally.

I think what we don't realize are the underlying issues. I had only taken 1 Ativan the one morning, and my other BP meds, and that day I ended up smashing my car and not remembering the day at all.
Psych meds and alcohol also make things very difficult for your liver, and it takes a lot of strain.