Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 04-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

CharactorAssassin has no updates.

Default sublimation of the sex drive

Do you think sublimation of the sex drive caused by medication side effects is a healthy thing?
does the question make sense?
CharactorAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
Legendary

hamster-bamster wish me luck!

My Mood:

3 yr Member
3,623 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: sublimation of the sex drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharactorAssassin View Post
Do you think sublimation of the sex drive caused by medication side effects is a healthy thing?
I do not know what you mean by using the term "sublimation".

Sublimation (psychology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I do not think that psychiatric medications do that to you. If they do that to YOU, you are probably unique in experiencing that kind of side effect.

On a more mundane note, they do have a variety negative sexual side effects, and those effects are what they are - negative side effects and a reason to look for other medications without such side effects.

http://livingwellnomatterwhat.wordpress.com/
hamster-bamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
Account Suspended
sewerrats banana bogie

My Mood:

3 yr Member
9 hugs
given

Quote:
No its not but whats the answer, with the meds on offer there is no answer . only take them or dont
sewerrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:03 AM   #4
Legendary

My Mood:

3 yr Member
3,623 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster-bamster View Post
wikipedia article says:

"Sexual sublimation, also known as sexual transmutation, is the attempt, especially among some religious traditions, to transform sexual impulses or "sexual energy" into creative energy. In this context, sublimation is the transference of sexual energy, or libido, into a physical act or a different emotion in order to avoid confrontation with the sexual urge, which is itself contrary to the individual's belief or ascribed religious belief. It is based on the idea that "sexual energy" can be used to create a spiritual nature which in turn can create more sensual works, instead of one's sexuality being unleashed "raw."[6][7][8] The classical example in Western religions is clerical celibacy."

In other words, the sublimation of the sex drive = taking the sex drive and using it for non-sexual means.

Psychiatric medications do not do that to ANYBODY. Ever. Period.

They just take away the sexual energy without giving you anything to compensate for the loss of sexual energy.

In other words, sublimation=you lose the raw sexuality but you gain some creative expression benefit.

psychiatric medications' side effects=you lose the raw sexuality and never acquire any benefit.

It is a pure loss, with no recompense.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes but you don't see it? like if you have been indoctrinated to sublimate you sexual impulses, then you take medication with sexual side effects. You are more likely to brush the use of sex completely under the rug? Possibly causing some kind problem? Paranoia maybe? Agoraphobia? Social phobia? I don't know. Thoughts? but how do you know it is not transmuting libido. Isn't that exactly what its doing?
Unread 04-18-2013, 01:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If you've had sexual side effects say from childhood your whole life and sex was the furthest from your mind. What would your behaviour be? What would you be doing? Selecting a mate? Having sex with the mate you selected? No. You would be doing something else.
Unread 04-18-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The medication acts as deterrent from sexual behaviours and therefore causes you to choose to do something else. Possibly something creative or something by yourself. Hobbies and things.
Some people on the other hand are having sex.
Unread 04-18-2013, 03:03 AM   #8
Account Suspended
sewerrats banana bogie

My Mood:

3 yr Member
9 hugs
given
Lightbulb Re: sublimation of the sex drive

Quote:
The medication acts as deterrent from sexual behaviours and therefore causes you to choose to do something else. Possibly something creative or something by yourself. Hobbies and things.
Some people on the other hand are having sex.
Medication inducted sexual problems our a bummer if married ,young ,on in a sexual relationship all could end in tears. many couples seXually active get massive relief from sex it releases the feel good gene . If a med takes that away from the med taking depressed partner the bond my break leading to the undepressed partner findind someone else. Older couples like me an my wife 65 still find intamacy and sex a the ultimate bonding and love shareing. So for me to be impotent from a med would hurt me more because of the loss of personal effection.It would not break my marrige up now but i have seen many young couples it had , with very very bad endings. ASEXUALS never have sex , never have never will it just dont interest them zero.therenot ill it how they feel
sewerrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

As an example in my own life i got a girlfriend. She did not want me because i had sexual side effects. I did not want to have sex because it couldn't happen and this person abused me because of it. This turned me off of that person.

Instead of having sex I was doing something else.

All this person wanted was sex and became abusive to me.
I suffered trauma as a result.

So yes the medication does sublimate the sex drive by changing behaviour.
The behaviour changed to doing something non sexual. It also made sex uncomfortable.

The sexual side effects in this case caused trauma.

Last edited by CharactorAssassin; 04-18-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
Legendary

My Mood:

3 yr Member
3,623 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
but how do you know it is not transmuting libido. Isn't that exactly what its doing?
I know it for sure, from several years of experience.

I had sexual side effects to Geodon, Risperdal, and Topamax. No sublimation. No transmission of libido.

When I stopped taking these medications, creativity AND libido came back to me AT THE SAME TIME.

So I realize now that psychiatric medications did not just remove natural lubrication at the genital level - they screwed up my brain in a very deep and far-reaching way, and, in doing that, they also damaged creative expression.

"Thanks for this!" says: