Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 04-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
---
-jimi- has no updates.

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: sublimation of the sex drive

The only time I feel it could be good with such side effect is if the person actually wants to suppress his sexual urges or they need to be suppressed because he is into bestiality or something creepy.

Otherwise I don't think it is good that meds suppress things. One of my meds suppress feeling tired so I overdo it and I end up totally exhausted. If a kid's appetite is suppressed he might get too thin and even stop growing.

I don't think decreased libido causes social anxiety, paranoia and stuff like that. How would that happen? I think it just causes problems in relations and maybe a feeling that your body is not working like it should. Stuff like that. Thinking suppressed libido causing mental illness is a quite old fashioned thought that fits 1920 rather than 2013.
-jimi- is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
Account Suspended
sewerrats banana bogie

My Mood:

3 yr Member
9 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi... View Post
The only time I feel it could be good with such side effect is if the person actually wants to suppress his sexual urges or they need to be suppressed because he is into bestiality or something creepy.

Otherwise I don't think it is good that meds suppress things. One of my meds suppress feeling tired so I overdo it and I end up totally exhausted. If a kid's appetite is suppressed he might get too thin and even stop growing.

I don't think decreased libido causes social anxiety, paranoia and stuff like that. How would that happen? I think it just causes problems in relations and maybe a feeling that your body is not working like it should. Stuff like that. Thinking suppressed libido causing mental illness is a quite old fashioned thought that fits 1920 rather than 2013.
It dont cause
it but it sure could make it worse,depends how sexually active you are. when young i was up for it 24-7 like most young people , to have that taken away is the reason i held off meds for years ,and still take minimum for that reason.
sewerrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
Legendary

hamster-bamster wish me luck!

My Mood:

3 yr Member
3,177 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharactorAssassin View Post
If you've had sexual side effects say from childhood your whole life and sex was the furthest from your mind. What would your behaviour be? What would you be doing? Selecting a mate? Having sex with the mate you selected? No. You would be doing something else.
Exactly - you would be doing something else - most likely, suffering from the non-sexual side effects of the offending medications.

http://livingwellnomatterwhat.wordpress.com/
hamster-bamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
Legendary

My Mood:

3 yr Member
3,177 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
The medication acts as deterrent from sexual behaviours and therefore causes you to choose to do something else. Possibly something creative or something by yourself. Hobbies and things.
Some people on the other hand are having sex.
Creativity needs a certain energy, which, in my experience, is completely suppressed by the medications in those cases when the medications have such broad reaching effects on sexuality. In other words, the medications do not SELECTIVELY target the sexuality, but instead BROADLY target the various aspects of your existence as a live human being, leading to worsening on all fronts: sexual and creative and some others. In the best case scenario, some mental stability and freedom from psychosis are bought by paying the cost of suffering the sexual side effects. In the worst case scenario, nothing good is being achieved at all.

Unread 04-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
Legendary

My Mood:

3 yr Member
3,177 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
As an example in my own life i got a girlfriend. She did not want me because i had sexual side effects. I did not want to have sex because it couldn't happen and this person abused me because of it. This turned me off of that person.

Instead of having sex I was doing something else.

All this person wanted was sex and became abusive to me.
I suffered trauma as a result.

So yes the medication does sublimate the sex drive by changing behaviour.
The behaviour changed to doing something non sexual. It also made sex uncomfortable.

The sexual side effects in this case caused trauma.
What you are writing makes no sense. Plus, as Jimi... has noted, your terminology ("sublimation") is WAY out of date. By decades and decades...

You, in your example, did not have the drive. So, there was nothing to sublimate. In order to sublimate something, that something first needs to exist. In your case, it did not exist - you "did not want to have sex because it couldn't happen". So you had no drive. No drive to the point that you knew that it just could not happen (meaning, you could not even entertain and console the girlfriend a little bit via non-phallic sex - it was THAT bad).

The gf clearly was no good. The appropriate human response on her part would have been to show some compassion for your situation, at the very least. Instead, she became abusive. So it was sort of like a litmus test of her persona and that you were turned off of her as a result is totally in line. You also suffered from trauma. It seems to be that your behavior and state of mind (just based on your post alone) consisted of: 1) being turned off, 2) feeling traumatized. I do not see how either (1) or (2) could be remotely creative, unless, of course, your trauma has led you to creative expressions via writing lyrical poetry...

Unread 04-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #16
Legendary

My Mood:

3 yr Member
3,177 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

CharactorAssasin,

I have thought more about your statement and determined that your statement, in and of itself, is completely valid, but you are not using the right terminology.

The libido sublimation terminology is outdated - see Jimi's post above, but even if it were not, libido sublimation needs libido to be present. If you have libido, you take it and sublimate it into, say, a painting. You do not use raw sexuality but instead paint a picture. But you still need the libido.

You are talking about something completely different, and you need to use the terminology from economic theory to help your train of thought.

The term you need is "opportunity cost" - The cost of an alternative that must be forgone in order to pursue a certain action.

Clearly, when you engage in sex using raw sexuality, you are forgoing other alternatives. You might instead be sleeping, working, painting a picture, or doing a whole host of other things.

If you lose the libido via suffering the side effects of psychiatric medications, you become unable to engage in sex and thus, free up the time that would otherwise be occupied by sex. You can then use this time to engage in activities that you otherwise would forgo - see the list in bold above.

If you happen to engage in a creative activity, you will have used the freed up time to engage in a creative activity, but you will not have used the libido to sublimate it, because you did not have the libido in the first place.

To answer your question about whether sexual side effects of psychiatric medications can be healthy, with that freed up time in mind, I would defer to the individual choice of what exactly to do with the freed up time. If a person engages in, say, volunteering for a worthy cause, that would be one thing. If a person, say, suffers from depression and hypersomnia and does not engage in anything, that would be another thing.

The time that gets freed up should not be viewed narrowly as the time spent on using raw sexuality per se. The time spent thinking about your various objets du desir - and that kind of thinking can easily occupy hours and hours in one's day - could in the absence of a live libido be spent on, say, studying geometry. Is it healthy? Well, it depends on whether you view the study of geometry as a worthwhile, healthy pursuit.

So, ultimately, only you, based on your own experience, can answer this question pertaining to YOU.

I, in retrospect, did not like having no libido. I did not realize for the most part that I did not like it, because you cannot realize that you are dead when you are dead. To realize that something is missing, you need a fully working brain, and my brain was not fully working, because, again, the sexual side effects annihilated something in my BRAIN - they were not some local, genital side effects.

So now that I have more or less recovered, I can say that I would much rather spend a little time on actual, raw sexuality, and yet a little more time on thinking about various interesting things in connection with sexuality, but feel alive overall. So, I do not mind spending that little time. Not at all. It is well worth it.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #17
Legendary

My Mood:

3 yr Member
3,177 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
The medication acts as deterrent from sexual behaviours and therefore causes you to choose to do something else. Possibly something creative or something by yourself. Hobbies and things.
Some people on the other hand are having sex.
Quote:
If you've had sexual side effects say from childhood your whole life and sex was the furthest from your mind. What would your behaviour be? What would you be doing? Selecting a mate? Having sex with the mate you selected? No. You would be doing something else.
Exactly. You would be doing something else. Hence, opportunity cost. Not sublimation, but opportunity cost. Everything that you said was completely correct, it is just that the terminology did not fit your thoughts.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-19-2013, 03:10 AM   #18
Account Suspended
sewerrats banana bogie

My Mood:

3 yr Member
9 hugs
given

ADs rob you off all feelings not just sexual , but thats the one hardest to take. you feel like doing SFA because your body is slowed to to heal in therory from the meds. The world is still there but a lot slower to heal your brain like being fuzzy tiggly but slightly out of it. meds try to stop obsessive thoughs but they also stop creative one with it. Still its the price to pay for not being wound up like a swiss whatch.
Unread 04-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #19
Mercury Man has no updates.

My Mood:

Sublimation of the sex drive is not healthy, how can you be without your sex drive? Its not a good feeling.
Mercury Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #20
Account Suspended
sewerrats banana bogie

My Mood:

3 yr Member
9 hugs
given

The bottom line is no matter how you address it, meds mess up your sex life , its 50 50 on takeing meds , no wonder so many people turn to alcohol , at least when the hangover wear,s off you can get on with most things meds wipe out.
Hugs from: