Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 03-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #1

nikki1992 has no updates.

My Mood:

Default Adderall and Xanax/Klonopin?

I have ADHD and OCD/Anxiety/Panic/depression. I am currently on Adderall XR (which I do like) and Lexapro (which makes me fat - therefore i DON"T like), but I still get anxiety attacks occasionally and need a xanax or klonpin (both of which were prescribed to me in the past, but now my doctor says I can't have them because of the Adderall). I think that's ridiculous. My dad is a medical doctor so I asked him about the combination and he said there's no problem with it. I've researched it, and also asked other friends in similar situations and their Drs have prescribed both together.

Thank God, I still have some of my pills left from months ago, that I take if an attack gets too bad, but I really try to not take them since I can't get any more. I maybe have to take one, like, once/twice a month - but have had attacks where I would like to take one more like once a week. I just don't think the panic attacks have anything to do with ADHD or the ADHD meds. I got those LONG before. It's just maddening to have to live with a panic attack just because I'm taking Adderall. grrrr

So.... what do you guys think?
nikki1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 03-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Grand Member

Pierro is so good at pretending

My Mood:

2 yr Member
456 hugs
given
Default Re: Adderall and Xanax/Klonopin?

A lot of doctors dont like perscribing benzos but I'm in Ireland. Benzos are highty addictive. I am on klonopin for a few months but I'm only on 1 mg a day. Best wishes
Unread 03-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Anonymous32825
Anonymous32825 has no updates. Edit

Could you maybe see a different dr? Or else explain your situation and tell him you need it to feel comfortable? I don't really get your dr's deal either. You should find out if he is concerned about you being dependent on it, but that is just silly...we are "dependent" on all the drugs we take to some extent. Ask him about Ativan as another option...that seems to be a milder med but always helped with my anxiety.

I take what is allegedly a large dose of klonopin to sleep (4 mgs) but I am not addicted in the least...sometimes I am too anxious to sleep and I know it won't work at all, so I told my pdoc there was no point in taking it on those days. He said my BODY might be dependent on it, so to take it anyway to ensure I don't have a seizure. So I take it anyway...and don't sleep.
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
Poohbah

clash has no updates.

my ex girlfriend was taking 2mg of klonopin twice a day, she was also prescribed 60 1mg xanax odt take as needed, adderall xr 20mg in the morning and also 10mg regular adderall take if needed for the evening. i believe she was also on celexa and the doctor also gave her ambien for sleep.

it helped her function and she took then responsible and was honest whether good or bad and so i think her doctor was ok with it.

this was a long time ag so i don't know how she's doing now because we don't talk. im just not so sure about the long term effects and how she'd cope coming off of them. but to me its like a diabetics insulin and people need what works best. the medicine is there to prescribe... i understand why a lot of doctors are hesitant to prescribe benzos and amphetamines (which can be just as if not more addicting and harmful to some.. although singer.docs seem to hand these out like candy unlike three benzos) and that's why you have to be honest about your past drug use, if and any addictions, etc... (ya know) if all is well and your honest and wanting help and the doc is still in disagreement and you feel this combination helps then find another doctor ..then let that doctor know why you switched.

for a lot of ppl these combinations balance themselves out and by the way you said it you'd only be taking them as needed.

i know this is personal, but its this a doctor that works for the state? ill let you know why i asked later if you want.

good luck because I've spent 20,plus years and have been used as a gunnie pig. when i was wealthier i used to pay out of pocket and i hate to say it but by doing so way back then that's how i found the most compassionate and caring doctors and therapist. now that i have medicaid i am resorted to... well like the question i asked about your doc....,and now its like ..well i want go there

good luck
clash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
Poohbah

clash has no updates.

sorry for the typos too btw (took me 30 minutes about to type this out with,my phone) and i can't edit my post right now on top of that and its making,my depression and anxiety kuck in but i can't talk about like I'm told. anyhow,i hope you understand because i spent a lot of time replying (swiping keys with y thumb on a small screen :-) )
clash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
---

-jimi- is the scaredy-rat.

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Meh. I have both Ritalin and Xanax prescribed. I even got my prescription on Xanax changed to up to 4 tabs instead of up to 3 tabs when I started on Ritalin in case I have a hard time relaxing to sleep.

Different docs different ideas.
-jimi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:39 PM   #7

gaia67 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
11 hugs
given

I'm confused. Is it because of possible interaction, or because of the possibility of addiction?
gaia67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

CharactorAssassin has no updates.

No one here has ADHD. ADHD is a label used to define a person. What you most likely have is sugar withdrawal. Cause the sugar is in everything. All our Doctors do in this case is treat symptoms with drugs that also have withdrawal. They do this to make money. It has been proven that the medication you are on atrophies the brain. They will deny this of course because no one will take responsibility. Except maybe you.
CharactorAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote