Psych Central

There's a Live Chat Happening Now!

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 03-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Poohbah

Lycanthrope has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Default Citalopram turning me into an alcoholic.

I started taking 20mg this medication about 7 months ago. I've always been a bit of a binge drinker but have always had some control, I'd normally drink at weekends but keep it under wraps during the week.

Since taking Citalopram I have had constant urges to want to drink alcohol. I have been drinking between 10 to 12 bottles of beer almost every day, and what's worse is I don't feel drunk afterwards or have a hangover the following day. This drug is the holy grail for an alcoholic.

I stopped taking this drug 4 days ago and guess what? No cravings for alcohol. I know I shouldn't stop the drug going cold turkey but have no choice on the matter and so far no side effects form withdrawl. My appetite has also come back a bit and now I want to eat rather then drink.

Just thought I'd warn people out there. if you take this drug and your alcohol intake goes up it could be worth stopping the medication.
Lycanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #2

k123 In love

I never drank until I took citalopram. I took it for about 1 1/2 years and in that time I lost my licence and crashed my car into a pole yet still drank. I had such strong urges to drink, I even drank at work and wanted to do so all the time. I later found out that I am bpd with bi polar traits and that citalopram could of been making me manic, maybe that's why I did what I did? Since not taking it I have stopped drinking
k123 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Account Suspended
sewerrats banana bogie

My Mood:

3 yr Member
9 hugs
given
Default Re: Citalopram turning me into an alcoholic.

i dont think citalopram made you drink , it may have chilled you out so you drank. Plus the hangovers are useually worse after drinking on ssri meds. there is a clue on the bottle ,dont drink with this med.
sewerrats is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Right kind of crazy

-jimi- Seeking me, seeking peace

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

No drinking but it made me very impulsive. I had no control over myself.
Somehow I always end up falling over me
And one day I woke to find the future had no place for me
I was unwanted in a world that with my hands I helped build where once was honesty and pride
I now stand broken and alone
Just a shadow of what I was meant to be
-jimi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 04:17 AM   #5
Account Suspended
sewerrats banana bogie

My Mood:

3 yr Member
9 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi... View Post
No drinking but it made me very impulsive. I had no control over myself.
Because you have 2 drugs in you system , booze and citalopam mixed togeather you become an outrages loony. Im old now but i did all the booze med thing self medicate. I had my gall bladder remove and a biletrak rupture , hiospitalisted with pancreitis thats when yo have a capita drain in your penis and 20 ltr a day fluid to wash infection,that is eating you stomach wall. kidney,s half function ect ect .i still drink the odd stella but no more vodka. APART FROM THAT IM JUMPING FOR JOY
Unread 03-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Poohbah

My Mood:

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrats View Post
i dont think citalopram made you drink , it may have chilled you out so you drank. Plus the hangovers are useually worse after drinking on ssri meds. there is a clue on the bottle ,dont drink with this med.
There's many people who've said the same thing whilst being on SSRI's. Search the internet and btw not everybody who drinks has worse hangovers. I had barely any hangover whilst being on this drug and I know my own mind and body and the cravings have stopped. Also I know about not drinking whilst being on SSRI's but it made me crave more alcohol so stop with the retarded smiley as you seem to be a bit clueless.

Alcohol abuse is listed in the US as a possible symptom of taking SSRI medication. It's not mentioned in the UK.
Unread 03-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
Account Suspended
sewerrats banana bogie

My Mood:

3 yr Member
9 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
There's many people who've said the same thing whilst being on SSRI's. Search the internet and btw not everybody who drinks has worse hangovers. I had barely any hangover whilst being on this drug and I know my own mind and body and the cravings have stopped. Also I know about not drinking whilst being on SSRI's but it made me crave more alcohol so stop with the retarded smiley as you seem to be a bit clueless.

Alcohol abuse is listed in the US as a possible symptom of taking SSRI medication. It's not mentioned in the UK.
The smiley is a wink if you look harder, havent a clue i have been on meds for 40 years i may have a little info. i have never heard a ssri med make you crave alcohol, food yes . What do you call drinking 3, 4 ,5 pints or a bottle of vodka. The first one is pretty normal if you young , The second is a problem , where do do you come.
Unread 03-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
Right kind of crazy

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Because you have 2 drugs in you system , booze and citalopam mixed togeather you become an outrages loony.
OK what I was saying even if I did NOT drink, I could still feel an odd impulsiveness.
I was unwanted in a world that with my hands I helped build where once was honesty and pride
Unread 03-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
Poohbah

My Mood:

3 yr Member

Quote:
The smiley is a wink if you look harder, havent a clue i have been on meds for 40 years i may have a little info. i have never heard a ssri med make you crave alcohol, food yes . What do you call drinking 3, 4 ,5 pints or a bottle of vodka. The first one is pretty normal if you young , The second is a problem , where do do you come.
The smiley represents sarcasm the clue is in the smiley, move your mouse pointer over it and read. Oh yes of course, you being on meds and how you react to them means I should react exactly the same way. Your 40 years of being on meds is irrelevent to how my body reacts to them. It's a bit like someone taking prozac and saying it turned them psychotic and me dismissing is but it didn't give me the same reaction. Alcohol abuse is linked to SSRI's, it's even mentioned as a possible side effect in the US and there's many people who have said they've craved alcohol whilst being on SSRI medication and funny how since I've stopped I no longer have any interest. That's not to say everyone who takes Citalopram or any other SSRI's will have the same reaction and that's not to say I won't drink again. The difference was whilst on this medication I was drinking almost every night and needed to drink whereas I had a drink before because I enjoyed a few beers now and then

Now unless you have the ability to zoom into my body and tell me my cravings for alcohol are a fabrication, I suggest you buzz off and go troll somebody else.
Unread 03-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
Right kind of crazy

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I don't think it is weird some people drink on the med since drinking might be an impulse, other people might act on other impulses like self harm.