Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 03-13-2013, 04:26 AM   #11
Account Suspended
sewerrats FACE OF DEPRESSION

My Mood:

3 yr Member
9 hugs
given
Default Re: Citalopram turning me into an alcoholic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi... View Post
OK what I was saying even if I did NOT drink, I could still feel an odd impulsiveness.
Mabye because citilopram is breaking down you barriers and you feel happy, happy means party when young. i carnt say about the none hangover only pesonally. They are bad for me that now i hardly drink , a bad hangover can tip my mental state. Where when young i would shake it off, you arent doing the amout i did just to get peace i would drink a ltr vodka staight back , no break and pass straight out . Thats what i was after a release from the monster in my head if only for 1 hour. The wreckage to my body i new would come an come it did 3 years ago ,i have half my guts now, but would i have done it different NO
sewerrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
just say no has no updates.

1 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
I started taking 20mg this medication about 7 months ago. I've always been a bit of a binge drinker but have always had some control, I'd normally drink at weekends but keep it under wraps during the week.

Since taking Citalopram I have had constant urges to want to drink alcohol. I have been drinking between 10 to 12 bottles of beer almost every day, and what's worse is I don't feel drunk afterwards or have a hangover the following day. This drug is the holy grail for an alcoholic.

I stopped taking this drug 4 days ago and guess what? No cravings for alcohol. I know I shouldn't stop the drug going cold turkey but have no choice on the matter and so far no side effects form withdrawl. My appetite has also come back a bit and now I want to eat rather then drink.

Just thought I'd warn people out there. if you take this drug and your alcohol intake goes up it could be worth stopping the medication.
I saw this thread and registered so I could pop in and discuss. Yes, I too developed serious alcohol cravings on Celexa and my (former) pdoc would not believe me, and increased my dosage- which resulted in a drug induced manic state that put me in the emergency room. I was also on Xanax as well. When I informed him later, he scoffed at me and that was when I decided to fire him.

Of course, the deterioration prior to this was slow and almost imperceptible. I became dull and uninterested in life's activities and stopped enjoying my hobbies during the decade I was on both of these drugs. The pdoc naturally attributed all of this to my "illness" and would not even consider the possibility that the drugs could have been a contributor.

I am drug free today, and furthermore I refuse to touch them. They are not for everyone. I feel far, far better today and the alcohol cravings have disappeared.

Just a caution- don't stop taking anything cold turkey.
just say no is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
just say no has no updates.

1 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrats View Post
Mabye because citilopram is breaking down you barriers and you feel happy, happy means party when young. i carnt say about the none hangover only pesonally. They are bad for me that now i hardly drink , a bad hangover can tip my mental state. Where when young i would shake it off, you arent doing the amout i did just to get peace i would drink a ltr vodka staight back , no break and pass straight out . Thats what i was after a release from the monster in my head if only for 1 hour. The wreckage to my body i new would come an come it did 3 years ago ,i have half my guts now, but would i have done it different NO
I did not feel "happy" or high on Celexa. Like the OP said, it was a craving and a compulsion and if you google SSRI and alcohol cravings, you will find plenty of info out there.
just say no is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #14
Account Suspended

My Mood:

3 yr Member
9 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by just say no View Post
I saw this thread and registered so I could pop in and discuss. Yes, I too developed serious alcohol cravings on Celexa and my (former) pdoc would not believe me, and increased my dosage- which resulted in a drug induced manic state that put me in the emergency room. I was also on Xanax as well. When I informed him later, he scoffed at me and that was when I decided to fire him.

Of course, the deterioration prior to this was slow and almost imperceptible. I became dull and uninterested in life's activities and stopped enjoying my hobbies during the decade I was on both of these drugs. The pdoc naturally attributed all of this to my "illness" and would not even consider the possibility that the drugs could have been a contributor.

I am drug free today, and furthermore I refuse to touch them. They are not for everyone. I feel far, far better today and the alcohol cravings have disappeared.

Just a caution- don't stop taking anything cold turkey.
XANAX is a massive benzo, one od the stongest, so i would lok more to that than citalopram. 2mg xanax equals 40mg valium so get that a citalopram togeather you would be well chilled an prone to any strange behaviour.you carnt blame 1 med on your reaction .
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #15
Account Suspended

My Mood:

3 yr Member
9 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by just say no View Post
I did not feel "happy" or high on Celexa. Like the OP said, it was a craving and a compulsion and if you google SSRI and alcohol cravings, you will find plenty of info out there.
I googled the citalopram an drink , and your post came up first , seems the that most is from posters who had drink probs, they started again after takeing ssri,s an not just citalopram. The finding seem to point at a relaxed state to the point of i dont give a f*** . Of course you could have craveings the main one is food , but if takeing benzos aswell the buzz factor is there , i was that man .
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
Poohbah

Lycanthrope has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member

Exact same feeling with me. When taking this drug I did not feel high or happy, I actually felt more down and that likely was because of the amount of alcohol I was consuming.

I quit the med cold turkey because I had enough of the cravings. It's been 8 days and so far the only side effect I can notice is insomnia. If it was to get severe I do have a couple of pills left but I have no intention of taking them unless it becomes desperate. So far no depression of anything like that. I think I may get away with going cold turkey because 20mg is quite a low dose. Of course if I was on 40mg I would never recommend this. And to think my docter was thinking of putting me up to 30mg a few months ago and the only thing that stopped that from happening was I had trouble arranging an appointment. Glad for that now.
Lycanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
Poohbah

Lycanthrope has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrats View Post
I googled the citalopram an drink , and your post came up first , seems the that most is from posters who had drink probs, they started again after takeing ssri,s an not just citalopram. The finding seem to point at a relaxed state to the point of i dont give a f*** . Of course you could have craveings the main one is food , but if takeing benzos aswell the buzz factor is there , i was that man .
There's many people who claimed to not even like alcohol before taking an SSRI and they had cravings. It's not just Citalopram, all the SSRI's can cause alcohol cravings. Of course that doesn't mean that everyone who takes an SSRI will have this but it can be a side-effect.

It's also mentioned on Paxil, alcohol abuse is a side effect. There's a theory that SSRI's lower blood sugar, which means it makes you crave alcohol or sugar foods like sweets. The thing is, alcohol gives a high of blood sugar but for a short amount of time and then begins to lower the blood sugar even more and that's why the cravings continue. It doesn't happen to everybody.
Lycanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #18
Account Suspended

My Mood:

3 yr Member
9 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
Exact same feeling with me. When taking this drug I did not feel high or happy, I actually felt more down and that likely was because of the amount of alcohol I was consuming.

I quit the med cold turkey because I had enough of the cravings. It's been 8 days and so far the only side effect I can notice is insomnia. If it was to get severe I do have a couple of pills left but I have no intention of taking them unless it becomes desperate. So far no depression of anything like that. I think I may get away with going cold turkey because 20mg is quite a low dose. Of course if I was on 40mg I would never recommend this. And to think my docter was thinking of putting me up to 30mg a few months ago and the only thing that stopped that from happening was I had trouble arranging an appointment. Glad for that now.
20 MG is the recommended dose its not low, you can an many do go higher but side effect get worse like orgasm , weight gain, constipation, even impotence , i swapped to lexapro citaloprams young brother and only take 10 mg it is a stronger med . but it ENGLAND not used so much has way to expencive .My GP scripts me has mental hospital say it carnt afford it.
"Thanks for this!" says: