Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 02-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Legendary

rainbow8 is feeling that my relationship with my T is "good enough"

My Mood:

5 yr Member
5,208 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Still jittery and tired on 50 mg. of zoloft

I've been on 50 mg. of zoloft for a week and I'm still jittery, especially in the morning and early afternoon. I'm also tired from it, but am not sure if I want to try switching to the mornings. I'm afraid I'll be MORE tired. I've gone so gradually up to 50 mg, from 25 to 37 1/2 and now to 50, over about 7 weeks, that I wonder if zoloft just isn't the med for me. The pdoc just says "you have to get over the hump". Or, he wants to give me something for the "anxiety". But I feel jittery, NOT anxious. I see him in a week so I'll see how I feel. I really thought I would start to feel better on zoloft, instead of this jittery feeling. I hate to think I "wasted 7 weeks" but I know it's all trial and error, this med stuff. What does anyone suggest? Thanks very much.
rainbow8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 02-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Oh noes!

pbutton has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
5,843 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Still jittery and tired on 50 mg. of zoloft

Are you taking the Valium as prescribed? That is part of the plan he gave you, right? You need to follow the whole plan of treatment to judge how well it is working.
pbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 02-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Legendary

My Mood:

5 yr Member
5,208 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

He left it up to me about the Valium. It makes me tired and I don't think it helps the jitteriness. I tried it once in the morning. I could try again. Why do I have to take another drug to combat the effects of the first one? These meds make me tired. I have to check out GABA, which is a vitamin, not a drug. He suggested it to me.

Right now I'm jittery, but I can still function. I don't want to be tired and jittery all the time from meds. I don't know if, on 50, it will take 4 weeks or more to work? I'm ready to give up but I know pdoc thinks I shouldn't yet.

The jitteriness is physical. It's not shaking, but it's not anxiety. It's not emotional. I know it's a side effect. Valium makes me too tired. I know I'm repeating myself. I am frustrated about the zoloft!
Hugs from:
Unread 02-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

onionknight All I want is to live.

My Mood:

233 hugs
given

Hmmmm, no, it is definitely a side effect from the Zoloft. I had something similar when I first started or was on too high a dose.

I literally didn't sleep for the first few days I was taking it, and during the day, I was jittery. Also, tired a lot. For me, as long as I was under 100mg, the jittery was managable unless I had caffiene or something else that threw off my balance. If you can, you might want to wait a week or so to see if it goes away. If it doesn't and it's unbearable, you might want to switch. Taking Valium to counteract the jitteriness is not a sustainable solution. You will build up a tolerance and become dependent on that if you use daily for long enough. You might also want to know that Zoloft can cause anxiety to develop in some patients.
Unread 02-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member
blur has no updates.

3 yr Member
129 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow8 View Post
Why do I have to take another drug to combat the effects of the first one?
rain, personally i wouldn't take another drug just to combat side effects from the first drug. that just seems a bit crazy to me even though i know it's what pdocs do at times. i think it can be a good way to end up quite overmedicated. jmo.

hope you figure out something that helps. it isn't easy for some of us to find the right meds.
Unread 02-26-2013, 05:02 AM   #6
Magnate

Hellion has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
4 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

It might be a good idea to get a second opinion from a psychaitrist, don't know if a p-doc is the best at knowing what's best for someones mental illness. Though psychiatrists can be kinda pushy about meds to so not sure that would really make much difference...maybe worth a try though.

If the zoloft isn't helping and making you feel worse you can stop taking it even if the doctor advises against it, they should at least guide you in quitting safely though...I mean sure its good to follow treatment plan but in the end it's your body/mind not theirs and if you know its detrimental than you have to do what you need to do. I guess I get sick of the notion people should just do as directed regardless of what it is doing to them.
Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Legendary

My Mood:

5 yr Member
5,208 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
It might be a good idea to get a second opinion from a psychaitrist, don't know if a p-doc is the best at knowing what's best for someones mental illness. Though psychiatrists can be kinda pushy about meds to so not sure that would really make much difference...maybe worth a try though.

If the zoloft isn't helping and making you feel worse you can stop taking it even if the doctor advises against it, they should at least guide you in quitting safely though...I mean sure its good to follow treatment plan but in the end it's your body/mind not theirs and if you know its detrimental than you have to do what you need to do. I guess I get sick of the notion people should just do as directed regardless of what it is doing to them.
I thought pdoc was the abbreviation for psychiatrist, at least in the psychotherapy forum it is. Yes, it's a psychiatrist I'm seeing! What's your def. of pdoc, just curious? He acts like the jitteriness is my anxiety, but it's NOT. I see him next week and I'll try to get more definitive answers, but it does seem like he wants me to take something else for my "anxiety". I DO have anxiety also, the normal kind, LOL, but I don't know which is worse. This jittery feeling is more physical; my anxiety is emotional.
Unread 02-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Emotional masochist

VenusHalley all effed up on the eastern front...

My Mood:

3 yr Member
6 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I think he meant to see second psychiatrist.

And I think med for med's side effects is a horrible idea usually. What if that med has side effects? Is he gonna just throw third and fourth and fifth in?

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Krishnamurti

http://venushalley1984.wordpress.com/

I am a hippie. A surrealist. A post-modernist. I was born in the Eastern Bloc. It shines through in my postings. You been warned. Don't take it personally.
VenusHalley is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
Legendary

My Mood:

5 yr Member
5,208 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onionknight View Post
Hmmmm, no, it is definitely a side effect from the Zoloft. I had something similar when I first started or was on too high a dose.

I literally didn't sleep for the first few days I was taking it, and during the day, I was jittery. Also, tired a lot. For me, as long as I was under 100mg, the jittery was managable unless I had caffiene or something else that threw off my balance. If you can, you might want to wait a week or so to see if it goes away. If it doesn't and it's unbearable, you might want to switch. Taking Valium to counteract the jitteriness is not a sustainable solution. You will build up a tolerance and become dependent on that if you use daily for long enough. You might also want to know that Zoloft can cause anxiety to develop in some patients.
Thanks. I agree that taking Valium or anything to counteract the jitteriness is not a good solution! I think I'd rather keep my problems than feel this way every day! But the dr. says I'm not on enough for OCD. I don't have the "checking" compulsive OCD, more the ruminatating kind from my BPD, or my real anxiety. I don't know what to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
rain, personally i wouldn't take another drug just to combat side effects from the first drug. that just seems a bit crazy to me even though i know it's what pdocs do at times. i think it can be a good way to end up quite overmedicated. jmo.
I agree, blur! It seems that's what pdocs do and I don't like it! I don't like the way I feel on meds.
hope you figure out something that helps. it isn't easy for some of us to find the right meds.
Thank you, blur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post

I agree. Thank you! It's just that I've stuck it out this long and the dr. says I'm not enough for it to work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbutton View Post
Are you taking the Valium as prescribed? That is part of the plan he gave you, right? You need to follow the whole plan of treatment to judge how well it is working.
I don't like taking valium; it makes me tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusHalley View Post
I think he meant to see second psychiatrist.

And I think med for med's side effects is a horrible idea usually. What if that med has side effects? Is he gonna just throw third and fourth and fifth in?
I agree, 100%. I don't want to take new drugs to counteract the one I'm on but that's what people do. Thanks, VenusHalley. For once we agree!
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
Grand Poohbah

Pikku Myy ...What next?

My Mood:

5 yr Member
3,033 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

It will take a while to really work... I started out with 25, 50 and now 100... over about 8 months.... Hugs
Pikku Myy is offline   Reply With Quote