Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Wise Elder

rainbow8 is feeling that my relationship with my T is "good enough"

My Mood:

5 yr Member
4,655 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Lamictal with zoloft for anxiety?

I saw the pdoc today and told him I'm still shaky from the zoloft. He thinks it's my anxiety but I never felt this way before. He wanted to add lamictal, a very low dose, but he googled it while I was there and I saw it was for bipolar. I don't have that. He said I didn't like the valium, but I said I would rather take that for anxiety, and get up to 50 mg. or more of zoloft before I decide if it's going to help or not.

So, I'm still going to take 37 1/2 mg. of zoloft until I see him next. I don't know if I should have taken the lamictal, but I hate him suggesting so many different meds. At least he ASKS me and wants ME to decide, but I don't like that either. He's very nice, and I don't want to switch drs. I think what's bothering me most is the NOT KNOWING. It's all trial and error and I hate that! I could get up to 100 mg. of zoloft and feel worse so I'll have to stop. He says I need that much for my OCD. I just have to see what happens. So far I can tolerate this new shakiness/jittery feeling, but I wish I'd feel better. It's possible that I'm less anxious about some things even with the jittery feeling. I don't know! I'll try half a valium if I need it. I don't want to mess with lamictal.

I do wonder if anyone has taken it for anxiety and not bipolar?
rainbow8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 01-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
Grand Member

Odee gets one step forward and a hard slip backwards.

My Mood:

472 hugs
given
Default Re: Lamictal with zoloft for anxiety?

I was under a diagnosis of depression and anxiety when I was given lamictal. We've since looked deeper, I got re-evaluated, I journaled a lot for awhile, and then discovered patterns that could fit under bipolar 2. Lamictal has helped me a lot for that regard.

As far as I'm aware, I don't believe that Lamictal will make you worse in the case that it does not make you feel better. It is a commonly side-effect free drug, considering that you increase the dose slowly.

I am not sure what your resistance to lamictal is aside from the bipolar implications. It has been successful for depression and anxiety for countless people.

Just a little tree kitty.

Depression and Anxiety. Lamotrigine 150mg, Fluoxetine 40mg.
Odee is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Oh noes!

pbutton has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
5,719 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I felt fluttery and jittery at 37 1/2 but I felt BETTER at 50. I can actually tell that the zoloft is helping me now. When I was on 37 1/2 I cried in T's waiting room because I felt all jittery and anxious. T reminded me that taking my benzo as prescribed would help me feel less jittery. I started following the benzo instructions, got up to 50 on the Zoloft, dropped the benzo and I am able to handle things a lot better. The Zoloft is helping me now. I am also supposed to get up to at least 100 for panic disorder. I don't know what 100 would feel like, but 50 is darn good.
pbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 02-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
Wise Elder

rainbow8 is feeling that my relationship with my T is "good enough"

My Mood:

5 yr Member
4,655 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbutton View Post
I felt fluttery and jittery at 37 1/2 but I felt BETTER at 50. I can actually tell that the zoloft is helping me now. When I was on 37 1/2 I cried in T's waiting room because I felt all jittery and anxious. T reminded me that taking my benzo as prescribed would help me feel less jittery. I started following the benzo instructions, got up to 50 on the Zoloft, dropped the benzo and I am able to handle things a lot better. The Zoloft is helping me now. I am also supposed to get up to at least 100 for panic disorder. I don't know what 100 would feel like, but 50 is darn good.
Thank you! That's exactly how I feel so I hope that I will also feel better at 50. You give me some hope that I will! I should try the valium again to see if it helps. I'm so afraid of the meds, though I think the valium was okay.
rainbow8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
Oh noes!

pbutton has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
5,719 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow8 View Post
Thank you! That's exactly how I feel so I hope that I will also feel better at 50. You give me some hope that I will! I should try the valium again to see if it helps. I'm so afraid of the meds, though I think the valium was okay.
I was worried that I'd get addicted to the Ativan. Both T and pdoc told me they'd watch me to make sure that wasn't happening. It didn't happen. I took half an ativan every day for a few weeks, then pdoc said I could try to stop and take them as needed. It worked out fine.

50 Mg of Zoloft has made it easier for me to stop worrying about stuff. I still worry, but there's a little extra distance that helps me switch gears if I try. Good luck.
pbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: