Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 07-02-2006, 11:13 PM   #1
Grand Member
Hopefull has no updates.

8 yr Member
Default Religion, anti-depressants and long-term effects

I have lots of questions about anti-depressants.
Religion: Christianity. If the word of God is sufficient, how does God feel about me seeking help from a T? What is His views on anti-depressants? I suspect He wants me to go on an anti-depressant. But, it seems weird to me. Some people try to say that one should trust God and not fear. One should have hope in God and not get depressed. I think there is a kernal of truth in this. But, I think that it is an oversimplification of trust vs. fear, hope vs. depression. But, I am still unclear on how to make my religion and belief in therapy into a reasonable world view.
If my moods can be changed with a drug, then am I nothing more than the sum of the functions of my brain? Does this leave room for a soul? Would anti-depressants interfere with my relationship with Jesus Christ? My relationship with HIm means a lot to me. I don't want to hurt my ability to be sensitive to His leading with a drug.
What are the long-term effects of taking an anti-depressant? I will probably try to talk to T about this. However, I tend to not even feel able to bring up the subject of anti-depressants. So, she has brought it up twice. She quite clearly wants me to do something more than just talk to her and keep having trouble sleeping.
Hopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
LMo
Elder

LMo has no updates.

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Religion, anti-depressants and long-term effects

Hi Hopeful. I hope you don't mind me replying to this, even though we do not share the same religious beliefs.

Having taken anti-depressants on and off for a year and a half now, I would like to assure you that they do NOT interfere with your beliefs or spirituality. They don't change you as a person. They just make things less of a struggle, so that your sessions with your T are helpful in the long-term instead of just getting you through each day.

I encourage you to do some more research and keep an open mind. Anti-depressants aren't the answer for everybody, and they aren't always necessary for the long term.

Hang in there,
LMo
Unread 07-02-2006, 11:57 PM   #3
has no updates. Edit

Hey Hopeful...I struggled for a time with some of these very issues..we are made up of spirit, soul(mind and emotions, and body..If our teeth are hurting us we go to a dentist, our bodies ill, we go to a doctor..I believe the same thing with emotional/mental health issues, we go to a psychiatrist, therapist, whomever in the mental health field that helps us..If I had a medical condition that required meds, let's say insulin for diabetes, that would'nt be consided bad...it's the same with anti-depressants..taking medication cannot separate you from Christ..also, being on medicine does not mean forever..
Unread 07-03-2006, 12:18 AM   #4
Legendary Wise Elder

(JD) holds a PhD but is medically retired from practice.

My Mood:

10 yr Member
854 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

IMO through study, I believe that God has given us doctors, and has given the doctors the ability to learn and study to help with maladies such as depression. While a strong faith can be an asset in getting through life, per se, sometimes we are asked to have faith in the ppl God puts into our lives to help us (i.e. doctors) rather than rely upon ourselves and our relationship directly with Him.

Depression is a medical illness. Do you have the same beliefs regarding taking medicine for a headache, or diabetes?

We are an imperfect human being. God created us perfect, but you know the story..things went differently due to man's free will. What we have is imperfect bodies that become sick, unbalanced and difficult. Allowing God to use others and medicines to help us is a good thing, imo. TC!

Job 6:14 (NASB)
“For the despairing man there should be kindness from his friend;
So that he does not forsake the fear of the Almighty.
(JD) is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2006, 02:27 AM   #5
just me wantng to be free

eskielover Excell,Destiny Dreamer, Celia,Chinook, Mister forever in my heart

My Mood:

8 yr Member
2,423 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Hopefull,

Your question is a good normal question to ask when our minds are involved. It looks like my answer is similar to that of the others. When we have an illness or other problems in our lives, I have always felt that God puts people & things into our life to help us get through our problems. It is our choice to use them or not, but they have been put there for us to use if we choose. I know I had problems with how to deal with suicidal thoughts/feelings. That was a real tough one & don't know why it even happened. Looking back, it was a feeling that I never would have guessed would have ever been part of my thinking.....but after getting through it, I have been able to talk to others who have felt similar to me & try to help them put their thoughts together.....where I had no one to talk to about my feelings. I think that sometimes we are given situations to experience ourselves possibly to be a help to someone else down life's path.

We also have to be responsible to realize whether the help really works or not. I know that I have horrible side effects & allergies to things that have been put into my life to help me, & I have to sort through what helps & what doesn't. It is a tough job. Our beliefs are the same no matter what we take or do. We may have times where we experience something that is completely off our normal path, but that too can make us more knowedgable in the long run.

Life is tough, but it seems to me that in the long run, it will all come together. I am still waiting....but that doesn't mean that it won't happen.

Debbie

In loving memory of Mister my first & very special horse
WyndSong Farm
eskielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2006, 05:32 AM   #6
Pirate Goddess

Maven feels like a failure.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
532 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I'm not Christian, but two things the Bible says: God created everything (including the medications, good and bad), and, "God helps those who help themselves." And LMo is right...the drugs do not change your beliefs.

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted, I wish I had some ice cream.

Equal Rights Are Not Special Rights

Maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #7
Legendary Wise Elder

(JD) holds a PhD but is medically retired from practice.

My Mood:

10 yr Member
854 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

("And God saw everything that he had made, and behold it was very good." Genesis 1:31. He didn't create the bad.) The other quote isn't in the Bible.

But the spirit of your point is a good one Maven.

Why not give the medicines a try? You can, after really trying them, always change your mind later. TC

Job 6:14 (NASB)
“For the despairing man there should be kindness from his friend;
So that he does not forsake the fear of the Almighty.
(JD) is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2006, 09:38 PM   #8
has no updates. Edit

there is a good book by Sheila Walsh who talks about this issue i believe, but basically...they took medication from the days of Christ to relive pain. For me, its not any different.
Unread 07-04-2006, 02:37 AM   #9
Pirate Goddess

Maven feels like a failure.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
532 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Sky, I won't get into a religious debate with you here, since it's off-topic, but I wasn't quoting in that first thing I said. The Bible does say that God created all things in another part of the Bible, and it says He (using the Bible's gender for God) created evil: "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things." (Isaiah 45:7) As for your quote, I don't interpret that as meaning those things were created in goodness, but that they were created well. You can't have good without evil. If you don't know what evil is, you can't know what good is, and vice versa.

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted, I wish I had some ice cream.

Equal Rights Are Not Special Rights

Maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #10
Poohbah

jennie has no updates.

My Mood:

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!

It sounds like you desire and need Christian counseling. Have you talked with a trusted clergy?

If you can, I recommend you find a psychologist (masters or doctorate degree) who does Christian counseling. Look in the yellow pages of the phone book or call local churches asking for a referral. Usually these types of therapists will pray with you in the counseling session. Some pray alone before and/or after the session. Usually Christian counselors are licensed family therapists too.

you wrote:
</font><blockquote><div id="quote"><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Some people try to say that one should trust God and not fear. One should have hope in God and not get depressed.

</div></font></blockquote><font class="post">

These ideals originate from Jesus' parables of "Do not worry . . ." (Matthew 6:25-34 and Luke 12:22-34)
Those passages are meant to inspire and give hope to the weary or depressed. These aren't rules. These ideals are learned and practiced.

(note: Jesus didn't worry because he didn't own anything. He gave up having: bills, a house, kids, a wife, and stuff. He walked all over the place just preaching. Not everyone is called to that lifestyle.)

Clinical depression is a severe form of depression or feelings of sadness. Clinical depression affects all major areas of functioning. It will cause you not to have enough energy to pray or attend church or read bible. It doesn't mean you are not a Christian because you can't do so. It means you have an illness. Fortunately, you don't need a miracle for clinical depression. You can find help by talking to a trained professional.

Do you needs meds to help your depression? Maybe and maybe not . . . only you can know the answer to that question.

If you are feeling like you want to hurt yourself or someone else, then maybe meds is a good option.

(((((Huggs)))))) You'll figure this stuff out in due time. I hope you find a trusted Christian counselor to help you along the way.
jennie is offline   Reply With Quote